Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Scottish Muslim Skis to the South Pole
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Just read the articel. The man’s a total legend!

Northwind

konabunny
    Free Member

Italian?
    IGMC

I just literally lolled, much to the discomfort of those around me on the plane

hammyuk
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

For goodness sake man! Have you not seen the picture?

No white skinned Scotsman could survive in that level of sunshine?
    We had to send someone pre-tanned for Health and Safety reasons.

There’s coffee everywhere here right now!

Chewkw – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. YOU HAVE ISSUES!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I like ripping into Chewkw as much as the next person but on this very rare occasion I think he might have a point. Why is the fact he is muslim relevant? Its as much an annoyance as labelling a gay actor or sportsman, a bipolar person or any other label that has nothing to do with the person in the context in which it is being presented.

A Scot reached the South Pole. Well done him, bonus points for presentation

mrsfry
    Free Member

He’s Muslim until he wins a medal at the olympics. Shirley you know the mindset of the media by now

shermer75
    Free Member

Why is the fact he is muslim relevant?

From the article: “I want to spread the word that the world does not have to have so much conflict. I have met young Muslims while I was in London who had nothing in their lives to look forward to because of poverty and deprivation.

“That makes people very vulnerable to being brainwashed and I want to highlight the problems British Muslims face. I regard my trip as representing a different type of Jihad, something that tries to make a positive difference rather than a destructive one.

“I did it for Islam and the peaceful massage this beautiful religion came to offer as i become also the first Muslim to do so.”

neilwheel
    Free Member

Considering he has done this to represent Islam in a better light, his muslimness seems to be totally relevant.

As above, I couldn’t be bothered to quote for those who haven’t read the link.

Spin
    Free Member

Why is the fact he is muslim relevant? Its as much an annoyance as labelling a gay actor or sportsman, a bipolar person or any other label that has nothing to do with the person in the context in which it is being presented.

Have you read the article? It’s him that the Muslim thing is coming from, he say’s that part of the reason for doing it was to present a more positive image of Islam. On that basis, the reporting of him as a Muslim is entirely relevant.

edit: beaten to it.

scotroutes

So, is the fact that he’s Scottish so important that it merits a mention. I can’t believe there’s nothing in that headline someone on STW won’t be offended by 😆

philxx1975
    Free Member

Why does the “muslim” part bring relevance?

Lets be honest plenty of folks have walked to the south pole and some of them were probably scottish too?

Edit just read the above

So it should read “man stereotypically associated with hot country goes to cold country to spread the word” or would that not be cricket?

How many Muslims take part in the olympics? Out of interest

edlong
    Free Member

Ffs, this place is too much, label people when it’s not called for, completely miss the point when identifying people with reference to the characteristics they’re choosing to be identified with in the specific case.

It just gets worse. I for one can’t be arsed anymore, which I realise will register low on folk’s giveashitometer, but there you go. There’s a lot of good people posting interesting, considered and entertaining stuff on this site, but it’s increasingly drowned out by dickheads spouting shite.

Life’s too short.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I read the article this morning but for some reason I never picked up on any of that. So, er, cancel that last comment. [/backpedal]

In context it does somewhat gain an amount of relevance. As you were…

downshep

Jaysus. British Muslims are viewed with distrust and suspicion thanks to the actions of a few radicals. This guy goes out of his way, literally, to show that Muslims can be good guys too. He Sticks his kilt on and goes taps aff to reinforce his Scottishness and the fact he has a sense of humour. Great guy, feel good story, why the cynicism?

chewkw
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member
    Chewkw – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. YOU HAVE ISSUES

What issues are you referring to? 😛 (see I am not annoyed – really!)

Do you believe in God creation or evolution? 😀

(plenty of hints in the questions so take your time to response – with all the references as you like – I want to have a good read as it’s Saturday)

scotroutes

Great guy, feel good story, why the cynicism?

New here?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Muslim Skis to the South Pole’ is closed to new replies.