Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scottish Islands holiday suggestions – distillery a must
  • Raindog
    Free Member

We’re thinking of going for a long weekend to one of the Scottish Isles, and would really like to visit a distillery. Any suggestions ?

Post edited to remove the requirement for rail travel, I’ve just looked at the cost of train tickets :-0

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mull? train to oban ferry from there

gusamc
    Free Member

depends what you want – check out Arran, very scenic, some mtb, 50 mile road loop, much much nearer

see Islay on wstern Isles

could do Arran/Tarbert/Isla as a round trip

chickenman

Well, when I was young, every Hebridean island had its own distillery in some cave or other…

Kunstler

I don’t know anything about the whisky they produce but there is a distillery at Lochranza on Arran. For a long weekend you will probably be able to get to see more here in such a small area than anywhere else in Scotland.
    If it was a trip purely for the whisky, then I would go to Islay. I would also add at least a day on Jura to that trip.

edit – was a bit slow posting. The island hopping is a good idea.

steviegil
    Free Member

Mull would be the best choice if rail travel is required 🙂

boxelder

For a weekend – Arran. Lochranza dist. is OK and the product is lovely. A really varied island.

tommytowtruck

That Arran malt is very nice. Distillery worth a visit too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Arran has too much to offer to write down here! If you want any info on riding, or things to do, mail me your moby number and I’ll give you a bell.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Mull

Flippin Heck, I’m agreeing with TJ twice in 1 week…..

Davesport

Mull’s great but if Whisky is near the top of the list I’d go to Islay. You’ll have a choice of approx ten distilleries & one more on Jura if you can be bothered to make the crossing.

Islay malt’s quite distinctive…Yum….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Islands holiday suggestions – distillery a must’ is closed to new replies.