Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Scottish independence – why do only the Scots get to vote?
  • falkirk-mark

mrblobby get back under your bridge

zokes
    Free Member

And it’s quite normal for them NOT to have a vote.

No it’s not.

I’m an Australian resident living in Adelaide, but I am a British citizen, and have a postal vote in the UK general election to decide who gets to sit in Westminster on my behalf from Bolton West. My brother is a German resident living in Berlin, but again is a British citizen, and again has a postal vote in the UK general election.

This is easy to sort out for current international migration as there is official paperwork to denote nationality. It’s very difficult to sort out for the Scots/UK debate, as beyond where someone lives, there’s no record of them being English / Scottish / Welsh / Northern Irish / Cornish / Mercian…….

Simply using the existing electoral register is flawed on many levels, not least on the point I just highlighted. Any Scots who live abroad from the UK, but have a postal vote registered in Scotland can vote, yet the presumably much larger number of Scots in England, Wales and Northern Ireland cannot? That’s a very very strange, and at best, lazy solution.

Junkyard
    Free Member

do you pay tax here or your brother?

Not trolling or having a personal dig i just wondered what the rules were tbh
    I dont mind ex-pats/non residents/citizens [ whatever we call you/them] voting if they pay tax here. Otherwise I dont see wtf it has to do with them who governs here or what they do as they wont be paying tbh.

konabunny
    Free Member

Any Scots UK citizens on the electoral role of a Scottish constituency who live abroad from the UK, but have a postal vote registered in Scotland can vote, yet the presumably much larger number of Scots in England, Wales and Northern Ireland cannot?

FTFY. It makes perfect sense. Scottishness is not the qualification for voting in Scottish elections or referenda.

Personally, I’m sympathetic to the argument that non-residents shouldn’t be allowed to vote in elections at all.

zokes
    Free Member

do you pay tax here or your brother?

If I still made money in the UK (from property for example), then yes, I’d pay UK tax on that. But not for my Australian earnings, no. I pay Australian tax on those. Curiously, I’d also pay Australian tax on my already UK-taxed earnings, if I had any. I’m not sure if the reverse is true for either Aussies in the UK, or if I had property here and moved back home.

I’m not sure about my brother, but as Germany is in the EU, i suspect that the double-taxation thing wouldn’t happen. However, I also suggest that if he’s paying tax in Germany, more deprived parts of the UK will be getting some of it anyway through Objective 1 and convergence funding (if these still exist)

Otherwise I dont see wtf it has to do with them tbh.

The fact we’re British citizens. That’s what.

Interestingly though, I can’t vote in Aussie elections until I become an Australian citizen, if I choose.

Scottishness is not the qualification for voting in Scottish elections or referenda.

For elections, I agree, but for something as deep as constitutionally severing part of a country, when the whole argument is mainly based around pride of being Scottish, and self determination thereof, I’m not so sure it makes any sense at all

konabunny
    Free Member

Happy Australia Day, by the way! Despite my pissing around on here, I’m actually working…

I dont mind ex-pats/non residents/citizens [ whatever we call you/them] voting if they pay tax here

Most UK citizens who don’t live in the UK don’t pay UK tax (unless they have UK investments etc) and there is no link between citizenship and taxation.

I’m not sure you want to go down the route of making paying tax the qualification for voting though – that suggests that UK residents who don’t pay tax shouldn’t be voting and that non-UK resident non-UK citizens should be allowed to vote if they pay enough tax.

when the whole argument is mainly based around pride of being Scottish

1) That is not the whole argument or even the main part of it.

2) If there are (apparently hypothetical, so far) Scots who are butthurt at not being able to vote in Scottish elections and referenda – they should have stayed there if they wanted a voice. They weren’t bitching about being able to vote in E&W&NI elections.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find the ex pats being allowed to vote for 15 years somewhat strange.

zokes
    Free Member

Happy Australia Day, by the way! Despite my pissing around on here, I’m actually working…

And to you! I have the day off, but also a poorly wife, so not much happening here. May make the obligatory trip to the beach later though.

when the whole argument is mainly based around pride of being Scottish and the self-determination thereof
    1) That is not the whole argument or even the main part of it.

2) If there are (apparently hypothetical, so far) Scots who are butthurt at not being able to vote in Scottish elections and referenda – they should have stayed there if they wanted a voice. They weren’t bitching about being able to vote in E&W&NI elections.

And it is the main part of the argument. To self-determine, presumably they feel some sort of pride as a ‘people’? Otherwise what are they self-determining?

And unlike the disruption of moving to Oz (or Germany, or anywhere else, foreign), moving to EWNI from S isn’t crossing an international border, and you still get to cast your vote for MPs in Westminster wherever you are registered. This, I suspect, is why most people who move about within the UK don’t bother with postal voting, they just vote from where they are. When you move abroad, that;s not the case, so setting up a postal vote makes more sense.

I find the ex pats being allowed to vote for 15 years somewhat strange.

Why? They are British citizens. One of the privileges of that is that they vote in British elections.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why should people who don’t live in a community get a say in how that community is run?

To self-determine, presumably they feel some sort of pride as a ‘people’? Otherwise what are they self-determining?

1) No.

2) The argument is that the economic, social and political policies which can and would be pursued by an independent Scotland would leave its inhabitants in a better place than staying part of the UK.

You’re trying to make out as if Scottish republicanism has been forty years of facepaint, tartan and bellowing cod poetry, and that the arguments for independence are irrational, emotive and identity-based. Apart from a few dickheads, they’re not – the debate is far more sophisticated than that (although you don’t hear much about it in detail outside Scottish media, obviously). The SNP line has pretty much always been “we’re so fantastically European, we’ll join the Euro, we’ll be the second Celtic Tiger, isn’t it great?”, which is exactly why Cameron is using this moment (Euro in meltdown, Irish economy down the tubes, EU not looking too happy) to push an issue which has pretty much been on the backburner.

Whether or not Scottish independence is a good thing is a question, but either way the debate is more sophisticated than “we should be independent because we’re Scots and we’re better than all you bastards”.

This, I suspect, is why most people who move about within the UK don’t bother with postal voting, they just vote from where they are.

You can’t live in one constituency in the UK but choose to vote in another (legally). That’s why they vote from where they are!

BTW, postal voting is not the same as overseas elector voting. Before 2001, postal voting was something you had to apply for and give a good reason for. Now it’s being allowed because people can’t be arsed to show up to the polls, which partially explains lower turnouts in the last twenty years.

IanW
    Free Member

Seems a bit silly to split up a small island into smaller bits what next Yorkshire, Suffolk ?

Also why is Europe so necassary as a union but the one thats been in place for 300 years so bad. Salmond is on a glory trip.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I’m an Australian resident living in Adelaide, but I am a British citizen, and have a postal vote in the UK general election to decide who gets to sit in Westminster on my behalf from Bolton West. My brother is a German resident living in Berlin, but again is a British citizen, and again has a postal vote in the UK general election.

Personally, I have far more of a problem with this – why should someone get to participate in the democratic processes of a country you don’t contribute to.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s worse than that ditch_jockey. A few years ago there was a report of an austrailian resident, who was also a member of the House of Lords, who flew to the UK on holiday to participate in one of the Lords debates. Only in the UK could such a thing be allowed…

konabunny
    Free Member

Who was that?

poly
    Free Member

Yes (and ignoring the fact that I think most people in the UK think it wrong for you to get a vote!) but you get no vote in either the Local Government elections, nor (if you lived in Scotland, Wales, London, NI) the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly, London Mayor/Assembly, or NI Assembly elections unless you are resident in the constituency – there is no scope for overseas voters.

The people of the United Kingdom have democratically elected a government at Westminster who seem relatively content to allow the people of Scotland to have their referendum on Independence. To do otherwise might be seen as “oppression” which would only bolster the division campaign. It is surely better to have a sensible discussion about the future and then an “amicable” split if that is what one party agrees rather than refuse the discussion, force the partner to remain against its will (if that is the case) and potentially end up with blood on the streets in decades to come because the people believe they have been oppressed. Alternatively lets have the discussion and the vote, you may find that the people of Scotland are quite content to stay and by not refusing them the chance to express their opinion don’t feel oppressed.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve forgotten. It was many years ago and featured on the BBC news, so far Googling has yielded nothing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The fact we’re British citizens. That’s what.

But you don’t live here, don’t pay tax here , voluntarily left and yet you keep a say in what happens here…it just seems odd that ex pats get a say when they don’t live here tbh
    People born in Scotland but still living within the union don’t get a say ..I am not sure what the principle at work here is tbh but it is not being applied universally.

I’m not sure you want to go down the route of making paying tax the qualification for voting though

It is in relation to ex-pats not residents. If you live here it is pretty obvious why you get a vote and I doubt we need to debate this principle.

However I don’t see how someone who does not lives here and is {largely] unaffected by the decisions the govt makes gets a say in that govt.

Why? They are British citizens. One of the privileges of that is that they vote in British elections which have no effect on them at all as they live somewhere eels and don’t pay tax here

FTFY

You may disagree but the point is a fairly obvious one as made here.

Personally, I have far more of a problem with this – why should someone get to participate in the democratic processes of a country you don’t contribute to.

It is this you get as much say as me but you are obviously far less affected than I am by the outcome – it probably makes F all difference to your daily life what with you being on the other side of the world etc.

Rio

The SNP line has pretty much always been “we’re so fantastically European, we’ll join the Euro, we’ll be the second Celtic Tiger, isn’t it great?”

I find that hard to believe. The SNP existed before the common market and the EU, predates the Euro by several years and for most of its existence there was no concept of a “celtic tiger”.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But that wouldn’t stop them jumping on that bandwagon…

enfht
    Free Member

The BBC have just announced that Mel Gibson will NOT get to vote.

zokes
    Free Member

Personally, I have far more of a problem with this

Thankfully, I and I’m sure most other ex-pats don’t give a fig what you have a problem with. And soon, if you’re so hell-bent on leaving the union, you won’t have reason to care anyway. Why should you worry about something that doesn’t concern your country?

voluntarily left

Not really. It was move abroad or become a ‘drain’ on the welfare system joining the 20% or so of young people who are unemployed.

Why? They are British citizens. One of the privileges of that is that they vote in British elections which may have no effect on them for now as they live somewhere else at the moment and don’t pay tax here, but are quite likely to return at a later date when there are jobs

FTFIFY

transapp
    Free Member

TJ, are you Scottish or a Scottish resident? Just intrigued, no axe to grind

zokes
    Free Member

Just intrigued, no axe to grind

I can see this becoming a catch phrase on here

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scottish resident. what I believe is referred to as an “assimilated scot”

English by birth, British by nationality, Scotland is my home. Crossing the border going north feels like going home. You cannot change what is in your heart easily.

igm

TJ – you live in Edinburgh don’t you? That’s hardly really Scotland – I mean it’s named after an English king and not even one of the benign ones (Edward’s town).

Not that I’m from Glasgow originally or anything.

sadmadalan

At the end of the day who can and cannot vote becomes a practical exercise. The electoral register is easily available. To allow anyone else to claim Scottish ancestry in some form would be a nightmare. Just because you have been born in Scotland and choose to live elsewhere, does not give you the right to vote in Scottish elections or referendum.

If you want to vote in the referendum, then you need to be on the electoral register. This is regulated by UK rules and as such normally you need to register in the area where you live.

The whole idea of allowing people who live overseas to vote in UK elections has been taken too far. If you live abroad (i.e. you home is outside of the UK) then you should not be allowed to vote in any UK elections. But this is a whole new topic!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lol@igm

konabunny
    Free Member

I find that hard to believe. The SNP existed before the common market and the EU, predates the Euro by several years and for most of its existence there was no concept of a “celtic tiger”.

You’re absolutely right. It’s totally untrue that that has ALWAYS been their line. Obviously that was merely their line for the last decade or so, up until the last ten minutes.

Rio

I suspect its been the line since Salmond’s been in charge. Perhaps the party’s motives would have been clearer if he rebranded – how about “New SNP”.

poly
    Free Member

Thankfully, I and I’m sure most other ex-pats don’t give a fig what you have a problem with.

mmm… that attitude really encourages the wider population of the UK to support “I’m all-right-jack” ex pats doesn’t it? Voting reform will come, in one form or another – don’t be surprised if you find the people of the UK disinclined to allow ex Pats to milk the rest of us for what they can whilst looking down their noses at us.

And soon, if you’re so hell-bent on leaving the union, you won’t have reason to care anyway. Why should you worry about something that doesn’t concern your country?

If Scotland become independent I am sure the vast majority of ordinary Scots won’t care whether the former UK allows non residents to vote or not. Of course Westminster may finally have to address the “anomaly” since there will be 5 million potential ex-pat “brits” north of the border who could choose to register to vote in Westminster elections, whilst living north of the border. Likewise an independent Scotland would need to address the issue as there will clearly be a large number of “ex pat Scots” living south of the border who could chose to influence stuff if they so wished.

Of course its currently quite possible that Scotland doesn’t leave the union, but your ex pat issue won’t have gone away – so I don’t see why as an undecided Scottish voter I can’t express an opinion on it!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I had an epiphany while cycling this morning. Alex Salmond is a good guy after all, a true good Samaritan. STW lore states that there are two groups of pariahs in the Uk – bankers and public sector workers. Given that Scotland employs a greater share of both, dear Mr Salmond is obviously creating a homeland for the true, needy and oppressed segments of our society. I take back all my cynicism. What a bloke. You can keep you Daves your Nicks and you Eds. Vote for Alex for an end to oppression. He can invest NSO supporting them both.

Zokes, he may even provide a home for the Aboriginal news makers today?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Igm, doesn’t the extent or type of your Scottishness depend on whether you summer at Salcombe-on-the-Forth, sorry Elie, or elsewhere?

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes, he may even provide a home for the Aboriginal news makers today?

Heh – pity they didn’t get to Abbott – the guy makes dubya look both moderate and intelligent.

mmm… that attitude really encourages the wider population of the UK to support “I’m all-right-jack” ex pats doesn’t it? Voting reform will come, in one form or another – don’t be surprised if you find the people of the UK disinclined to allow ex Pats to milk the rest of us for what they can whilst looking down their noses at us.

That was an attitude directed at D_J, hence why I quoted him.

Not really sure there’s much looking down my nose at non-ex-pats. The only reason I’m out here (and by association, my wife too) is that there weren’t (and still aren’t, judging by the jobs.ac.uk emails I get) many jobs available. So I could have either wasted that long education paid for mainly by the British tax payer and ‘taken’ (in Ernie’s words) someone else’s job in Tesco’s, or sat on the dole – both options pretty much leaving me with no chance to get back into my career, as it’s so competitive that breaks generally mean end of the road.

Or, I could have been proactive, found a post that allows me to develop further, with a view to returning at the earliest opportunity, and continuing to contribute. Funnily enough, this was the path I chose.

What I don’t get is why everyone looks on ex-pats with that attitude. Sure, for a few it’s off for a nice life in the sun, but for a lot of young professionals, it’s because they can’t find a job in the UK. Or presumably, you’d prefer us to forego the sunshine and sit on the dole? Jealous much?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have no problem with you being in Aus Zokes – however I do not think you should be allowed to vote. in the UK – certainly after say 2 years abroad

zokes
    Free Member

however I do not think you should be allowed to vote. in the UK – certainly after say 2 years abroad

Why? I’m a british citizen, and have a democratic right to vote in the country that I’m a citizen of.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH zokes whilst tebbit comends you for getting on your bike I dont actually care. It is your life and you can live it how you feel fit and do what you want.

I dont see why someone who does not live here or pay taxes here has the right to vote here.

EDIT: becaus eyou contribute nothing to the country currently and the impact of decisions has next to no impact on your life in Australia

You may disagree but you cannot really find the argument a surprising one or one that is difficult to grasp

ChrisL

I remember the SNP’s party line in the late 80s/early 90s was “independence within Europe” so they’ve been pro-EU for quite a while.

poly
    Free Member

Or presumably, you’d prefer us to forego the sunshine and sit on the dole? Jealous much?

**** no, I’m Scottish my blue skin would turn red and blister down under. You may be the exception, but I don’t know anyone who left the UK long term to find work abroad who wasn’t also ‘expecting a better life’ in the country they were going to. I don’t mind you leaving. I don’t mind you coming back. I do have an issue that whilst you are away you think you should meddle in British politics.

You may disagree but you cannot really find the argument a surprising one or one that is difficult to grasp

zokes
    Free Member

No, I get the argument. But thankfully, the law seems to be with me. I don’t imagine I’ll stay in Oz for ever, and I presume I’ll be back in the UK sooner or later. Therefore British policies do directly affect me.

One example:

Going to war in my country’s name doesn’t affect me any more than it does anyone who lives in the UK (apart from the armed forces), but I’m buggered if I don’t get a futile way to say ‘I didn’t vote for this’ as much as anyone else with half a conscience did.

firestarter
    Free Member

As long as they leave Islay for me they can do what they want 🙂

In fact if they want away from us that much give em a big boat and ship em off , and the welsh too and come to think of it the dogs that hang around bike trails

Runs off to hide 😉

transapp
    Free Member

TJ – fair enough I thought that was so, just checking. That’s all.

**sound of sharpening blade in background** 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Scottish independence – why do only the Scots get to vote?’ is closed to new replies.