Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 734 total)
  • Scottish independence- where do you stand?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I’d vote yes if the option was available. Time for change. I’d also support Wales and NI doing their own thing too.

+1
    If we were given a referendum for English independence (please) I’d definitely vote yes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Count so far …

No = 14

Yes = 14

Don’t know = 13

Talking about indecisiveness … 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

English so can’t vote but really hope it’s a yes. Will be fun to watch the chaos that follows.

I work in (non Party) political circles in Scotland.

Both me and the Mrs will vote ‘yes’.

We don’t hate the English/UK. We’ve just seen a lot of examples of how democracy works best when practiced locally.

There are economic risks to a ‘yes’ vote. There are just as many significant economic risks from being ‘remote controlled’ from Westminster.

I have read extensively on both sides of the argument, and have made a decision.

We’re both educated ‘Weegies’ (snigger). Yesx2

Offroading
    Free Member

5 of us in this house.

5 no votes.

All Scottish born. Live in Edinburgh

tomhoward

If I could vote (Englisher living in Englandshire), I’d vote no purely because it’s to opposite to what Alex Salmond wants.

Hohum
    Free Member

I am an Englishman living in Scotland and I will be voting no, so will my wife and I know that my in-laws will vote no as well.

cudubh

Scottish living in Scotland voting yes
    English wife almost certainly voting no.

As 2tyred says its not about hating the English its about doing what is right for this country. I would rather try to create a country that I can feel proud of and fail than just accept the status quo.

convert

Born in Scotland of 50% Scottish stock. Got married in Scotland, buried my father in Scotland and mother lives in Scotland. Plan to move back when this job is over. But part grew up in Wales, lived the majority of my adult life in England, ex member of the British armed forces and ‘sound’ English……would have seriously struggled to know which nation to represent had I been a little bit better at my chosen sport and had a shot at the Commonwealth games but would have been gutted not to be able to wear a GB suit.

So predictably, as someone who feels 100% British first and foremost, I’d vote no. Given some previous in Scotland I do feel a bit aggrieved that my views won’t be registered because of my postal address on the day.

My only other contribution is to comment on the ‘alienation’ from London and all it represents often expressed as a reason for independence. My experience in Scotland is based around the Highlands and Islands and curiously the exact same language is used from folk there about Edinburgh!

richmtb

Scottish, living in Glasgow and voting YES
    Hungarian wife will also vote yes.

Scotland needs to stand on its own two feet and be represented by a govermnent it votes for. Sometimes its better to vote your hopes than your fears

totalshell

proper yarkshire .. born literally on ilkley moor.. PLEASE vote yes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

the sooner we are rid of salmond and that awful woman the better the sooner the hoard of scots MPs from our parliament are slung out on thier ear the better

jonm81

British (Scottish), currently in Kent but might be living back in Scotland before the vote. Would vote No.

Wouldnt vote yes as they will not state the definitive consequences before the vote.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d vote yes if I could but I’d also vote for the area inside the M25 becoming a city state free from all the hassle of having to suckle the Scots and so on…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cumbrian, living in cumbria

Bint’t builders yard this morning. got some posts and a roll of wire, yercan all f-off

GrahamS

I say go for it, you already hate us so you may as well hate us across a proper border!

Despite being a no vote I think it’s really sad that some people seem to think this is the sole motivation for the Yes camp. 🙁

gordimhor

I wish I could make this clear. Voting either way in the referendum has nothing to do with hatred of England or English people.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its not that you hate us (or not) more the idea that we are rather bored of being blamed for every ill to befall the Scottish Nation since the death of the first born.

GrahamS

Because no one in England blames anything on the government and everyone is super-happy here?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No, but it does seem that to some all ‘English’ are the same whether home county tories or North Eastern Labour men.
    Its a rather boring thing to hear constantly that i am responsible for all that befalls Scotland which is why i want her Independence – so that she can make her own mistakes and carry her own can without that clown Salmond blaming it all on the evildoers South of the border!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

British – Former English border lands dweller, now in Oz
    Go for it good luck to them, if you really want it take it. Just take the share of debt and don’t come back.

If I was north of the border my vote would be no though, from what is being thrown around I can’t see it working well.

inbred853

Scottish, living in Wales, I’d vote YES if I could. Time to arrange our own affairs be they good or bad away from Westminster.

ads678

I don’t think you’re voting on independence because you hate us, but as muddydwarf says it does get very noring hearing the same old shit time and time again. The quickest way to get independence would be to allow the english to vote.

bokonon
    Free Member

Channel Islander, living in England, I would vote yes, would be more keen to move if there was a yes vote, and considering going up to help with campaigning for the yes campaign next year.

Personally, I’d prefer that everything North of Northampton was independent of the South East.

birky
    Free Member

born in scotland, live in scotland, voting no

chewkw
    Free Member

Count so far …

No = 27

Yes = 24

Don’t know = 15

Close call … 🙄

matther01
    Free Member

Had previously lived in Scotland for 25 years but English. My kids are Scottish, with the eldest 18 next year and she’ll vote when the time comes.

IMO I think Alex Salmond is on a mission to be crowned in Scottish folklore as the man that rid Scotland of English/UK rule after centuries of ‘suppression’.

It would be a real shame if Scotland were to leave…but when the oil runs out…will the whisky and tourism be enough to sustain free prescriptions for all and universities etc?

At least Scotland wouldn’t be in the EU (as I believe they would have to apply separately) and pay stupid amounts of money to subsidise foreign farmers and the like. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d hazard that a vote in England would be heavily pro-union, unlike the “You all **** hate us” STW demographic thinks.

“You only want independence because you all hate us”: Boring
    “Everything that ever went wrong for us is the fault of Westminster”: Boring

Both arguments in the same thread: “Boring Squared”

gordimhor

The main reason I will vote for independence is for the chance to make something better. Two more reasons are to get a govt that reflects the views of people in Scotland and because I am fed up with hearing the same old drivel from Westminster politicians.Independence is only a step on the way.

bigjim

From scotland and still live in scotland

Voting No unless the yes lot pull some actual facts out the hat smartish, and despite in increasingly searing hatred of the tories.

GrahamS

Chewkw how do the scores look if you only count those who say they are eligible to vote?

scotroutes

What facts do you think are still missing?
    Currency?
    EU?
    Anything else?

patriotpro
    Free Member

English born and dwelling so no vote, but should i have the option i would vote YES.

This – why should just the scots get to vote when it affects the English too…

The whole of Britain should get to vote, if that was the case I would vote to setting them loose.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its like a divorce only one lot has to decide

there is lots of legal precedent for this

Will you be boycotting these if it happens?

GrahamS

The whole of Britain should get to vote, if that was the case I would vote to setting them loose.

Think about the possible extremes there though:

– Scotland votes massively in favour of leaving, but the rest of the UK votes to keep them against their will.

– Scotland votes massively in favour of staying in The Union, but the rest of the UK decides to turf them out.

Neither of those outcomes sound very palatable.

(By the way ,”Britain” is just England and Wales. Shouldn’t the Northern Irish and… erm.. the Scots get a say? 😉 )

stewartc
    Free Member

English living in Hong Kong, if I had a vote on it I would vote Yes.
    Goodbye, take your part of the debt and close the door on the way out.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Ex-pat, so don’t get to vote.

But if I did, I’d vote Yes.

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Chewkw how do the scores look if you only count those who say they are eligible to vote?

If they are eligible to vote but does not say which way they are voting then I score them as “Don’t Know”.

unknown
    Free Member

English living in Hong Kong, if I had a vote on it I would vote Yes. Goodbye, take your part of the debt and close the door on the way out.

Did you take your part of the debt with you when you moved to Hong Kong? 😉

dmorts

English, living in Scotland. I will be eligible to vote, which if placed today would be no. Other half is Scottish and has said no. Her parents will probably be no too….

But it’s early days and it is a big decision for the country I want to live my life in. My actual vote could be Yes, I want to see how the debate develops. It has only just started

bencooper
    Free Member

Scottish, living in Scotland – voting yes. Partner is English, also voting yes. As are our parents etc.

We’re semi-seriously considering emigrating if Scotland doesn’t get independence.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 734 total)

The topic ‘Scottish independence- where do you stand?’ is closed to new replies.