Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Scottish holiday location recommendations please
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Hi
    I want to take the missus and dogs to scottyland this year brief is rent a cottage, near to (beach?) walks, possible island visits, walking in the hills etc

I dont know scotland too well but would like to avid a midge fest

anyone done anything similar?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Macavity
    Free Member

Scottish Tourist Board website
    http://www.visitscotland.com/

xcgb
    Free Member

Macavity
    Thanks but i dont know where to go ! i was hoping someone had done something similar

Wiksey
    Free Member

Midges are out roughly mid May to mid September but can’t really fly if it’s windy or pishing it down.

Mull comes highly recomended and can easily accomodate beaches and walking in the hills with the added bonus of it being an island.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers wiksey
    I’ll start with Mull then

luked2
    Free Member

Harris. Worth it just for the ferry trip. Beaches fantastic. Hills, everything. Midges acceptable on the coast even in the height of Summer. Bring your bike.

organic355
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call it “Scottyland” when you are here either. 🙄

dh
    Free Member

Skye is nice too….

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you want sea and islands, it needs to be west coast, so midges are a fact of life, but they will only bother you when the wind is less than 4 KPH.

Strongly suggest you don’t go to an island if it’s your first time in Scotland as you will want to explore different areas – if you’re on an island, however stunning, travel is very restricted.

Oban area is nice, with good ferry access to the islands but is not quite proper highlands. Somewhere around Fort William might be best – lots of places like Glenfinnan on the road to Malaig. Fantastic walking on your doorstep, Ben Nevis and the Mamores, Glen Coe, Ardnamurchan, ferry to Mull ets. True highland experience.

We have rented cottages probably 30 times in Scotland – still do it even though we now live up here. Some of the accomodation is a bit variable, so if you want good modern standard do not go for anything less than 4* STB rating

matt_outandabout

I would suggest near Mull, not on Mull – more options and days out. Oban is cracking, and we stayed at some lovely cottages on the Isle of Seil (few miles south of Oban) a few years back. It was a proper beach/walks/pedal/chill/coffee shop/distillery holiday.

xcgb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call it “Scottyland” when you are here either.

LOL why i thought we owned you! 😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers guys
    I love this place!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oban is good, so too Lochearnhead, also Sandyhills

scotabroad

If you want some wilderness and a bonus of excellent hill walking and potential bike rides Torridon is a great area, A visit to Skye is possible from here as well. Some cracking beaches in the far North West in Durness but no islands up there.

Plenty cottages to rent in Aviemore area with lots of hillwalking and lochside walks, no island trips though.

Wiksey
    Free Member

If you were to stop on the main land and want to visit a couple of islands I’d look at stopping somewhere near Fort William. Ferry crossing to Mull Lockaline to Fishnish is significantly cheaper than from Oban and an early start would see you up to Skye too now the bridge is free. I’ve stopped in Oban quite a few times over the years and it’s a great base but stopping nearer to Fort William would reduce your journey times.
    To be fair though it’s all good round there and you won’t be dsapointed with any of the above suggestions.

downshep

Harris beaches unbeatable anywhere but it takes a long time to get there. You do get to drive through Skye en route to the Harris ferry though.

Ft William & Oban have plenty of accommodation / hill / activity, options and beaches within driving distance. Oban is prettier than Ft William but Ft William is better set up for outdoor activities.

Would echo comments above re minimum 4* STB rating on B&B or self catering.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers once again guys – point taken re accommodation star ratings will search around and come up with a plan!

gusamc
    Free Member

I’ve just booked a week in Plockton (nearish Torridon/Skye/Glen Affric) and possibly Aviemore for week 2.
    Week 3 Oban, Glencoe, Trossachs

Island have fab scenery but you can sometimes be a somewhat captive audience -ie not for a week.

Road to Drive:Applecross/Torridon via coast (and lots others on W coast)
    Beaches – Harris and Lewis (also along top N coast – Tongue etc)

Macavity
    Free Member

Arran.
    Affectionately known as Scotland in miniature.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Dumphries and galloway is good, there are cottages around beeswing and similar small villages. you have access to beaches and hills to walk, nice pubs, friendly persons and a warmer climate that most of scotland as well as access to lots of biking trails including the seven stanes , what more could you want [ and its a relatively short journey up ]

Kunstler

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mihbl48kMcs[/video]

ARISAIG

Beautiful white, shell sand beaches and clear turquoise waters. You can get the ferry to Eigg and climb it’s mini mountain or from Mallaig 8 miles up the road take the ferry to Rhum for more challenging mountains or maybe the car ferry to Skye. All day trips (though Rhum might not be). Skye is fabulous for it’s mountains. Then come back and watch spectacular sunsets. You can see all of this in the video above.

There is good biking along Loch Morar and you can get a ferry across to the Knoydart peninsula.
    Arisaig is only an hours drive (or steam train in summer) from Fort William (trail centre, Ben Nevis and scores of top hillwalking) on an fantastically scenic drive.

dave_aber
    Free Member

You’ll hate it. Rain & midgies. Pure misery.

Have you considered Wrexham?

http://www.wrexham.com

allyharp

First up, this site is a fantastic reference for what’s where and what to see in want to see in Scotland – http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Secondly, wherever you are travelling to try and fit in a drive up the A82 through glencoe.

I was going to suggest Arisaig also. It’s got great beaches and is near some hills, is close to the Glenfinnan monument which is nice to see once, and close enough to Fort William should you need something bigger. You could even fit in a trip to the Old Forge at Inverie, the most remote pub on UK mainland.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

A word of warning: if you refer to Scotland as ‘scottyland’ when you visit you are likely to be chibbed in.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Scottish holiday location recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.