Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Scottish highlands riding venue in Nov/Dec?
  • boxelder

Other than Kingussie/Aviemore, where’s good for a large group (15 or so), to ride ‘natural’ trails at that time of year.
    Torridon too far for a W/E and too weather dependent. Glencoe/Nevis we’ve done a lot.
    Ideally looking for A9 area, group accommodation, lots of trails (we’ll be out for around 10 hrs sat, 5 sun at decent pace). no trail centre stuff, unless part of a much longer ride.
    Any ideas from our northern brethren?
    Interesting stuff around the land rover type tracks of Kintail?
    Dunkeld area?
    Ta

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Anything high might be snowy which could be awesome or rubbish depending on your perspecive.

Does it have to be aviemore area .what about stirlingshire?

scotroutes

Pitlochry might work. You can access the Loch Ordie stuff from there and there’s a fine loop over to Strathtay. Your main problem will be snow levels if it arrives early.

I wouldn’t call Kintail the A9 area but looping into Affric from there is always a good option.

boxelder

steve – looking for alternatives to Aviemore area – we’ve ridden there a lot. Good snow and high would be great – unlikely though.
    scotroutes – Kintail/Affric is further than ideal for a weekend, but passing through Affric to Fort A this year looked like the area had lots of potential.
    What about around Fort Augustus (apart from CorriY pass….)?

tomd
    Free Member

Ballater? Lots in that area and not all of it is crazy high up. There are bunkhouses too.

boxelder

How much of the Inshriach/Badan Dubh stuff around Kingussie has gone to felling now?

iainc

10 hrs out and about could involve snow, rain, ice, wind or lovely still sunshine. It will certainly involve darkness, don’t forget the lights 🙂

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

We have a holiday cottage in fort augustus so know area well. Few bits you can do and if course the great glen way passes through but i cant see hours of really interesting riding. The ggw is very very tame (rigid or 100mm ht territory)

epicyclo

There’s heaps of stuff around the Dingwall area.

Can be snow on higher ground, but I’ve found rarely enough to deter me. If you don’t mind a bit of hike-a-bike you’d be fine.

Some representative pics.

Nov 2014 Ben Wyvis

Dec 2013 Cnoc Farrel

Dec 2012

So basically although winter is here, generally tracks are rideable.

kcal

Pitlochry as scotroutes says has great options, loops over to Aberfeldy, Grandtully, ever Loch Ranch for natural stuff – and you’ve got Blair Atholl further up if you want to try Beinn a Glo, stuff like that.

Further north and east, there’s obviously stuff on Speyside but might require kind weather and decent local knowledge.

boxelder

iainc – that’s the idea

duir
    Free Member

Ballater?

Agree

A very highland feel to it but without the crowds. Access to massive mountain routes which realistically won’t go at that time of year but I have seen years where they are still rideable. It also offers you loads of lower down brilliant riding all around Aberdeenshire if high level weather is no go. Some very good accomdation in/near Ballater and excellent pubs/food/bike shop.

I would pack the mud tyres though and don’t even set off if the snowline is low but that could be said for anywhere in the highlands!

tomd
    Free Member

Oh and Ballater has:
    – 2 good curry houses
    – 2 good bike shops
    – 1 dreadful pub / nightclub

What more could you want? Even if if the snow gets 10ft deep you’ll be sorted. There’s even a set of bike trail maps for the area you can pick up in the local shops.

Northwind

Kinlochleven stuff has the advantage of accessiblity and relatively low level since the trails end at sea level… But also, it all rides superbly in the wet. There’s not 15 hours riding there though without repeating, that I know of.

gfrew88
    Free Member

ballater has loads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Scottish highlands riding venue in Nov/Dec?’ is closed to new replies.