Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scottish highlands epic, anyone game?
  • 13thfloormonk

After pinching an old Wainwright book from my folks, i’ve pieced together a 13 day trip from Glenfinnan to Carbisdale Castle, via Cape Wrath.

Its a bit convoluted, but it passes through Kinlochhourne, over the Falls of Glomach, through Torridon, around An Tealach, over Corrieshalloch gorge, through ullapool, past Stac Pollaidh, along the “wee mad road of sutherland”, past Suilven, along the top of Eas a Chual Aluinn waterfall, through Kylesku to Ardmore, on to Sandwood and Cape Wrath, before coming back down via the Moine Path and Beinn Laoghal.

After the recent Scotland threads up here, i thought i’d post up and see if anyone wanted to join me, or meet up along the way. There’s some (apparently) famous bothies along the way and some pretty nice looking camping spots too.

So, anyone else fancy some epic bogs and glens?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

When?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I hope you enjoy walking with your bike! Falls of Glomach was quite a scramble IIRC with a rucksac and no bike. you would be going down not up but it was scambling in places not walking.

That will take you into some wild parts all right. good luck!

druidh
    Free Member

Iain – give us some dates. I might be up to joining you for a couple of days.

13thfloormonk

All dates plus or minus a day or two! Although not enough to make the STW Glen Clova ride unfortunately…

2nd May – Glen Finnan to Glen More
    3rd – Glen More to Bearnas bothy (near Achnashellach)
    4th – Through Torridon to Craigs
    5th – Craigs to the Foot of An Tealach
    6th – Clikb An Tealach, ride to Corrieshalloch gorge
    7th – Corrieshalloch to Stac Pollaidh
    8th – Stac Pollaidh along the “Wee Mad Road of Sutherland”
    9th – Walking Suilven and Canisp
    10th – Suilven to Eas a Chual Aluinn – Kylesku – ardmore
    11th – Ardmore – Cape Wrath – Kearvaig bothy
    12th – Kearvaig Bothy – Glen Golly
    13th – Glen Golly – Bein Laoghal
    14th – bein Laoghal – Carbisdale
    15th – Trails at Carbisdale (or just the train home)

TJ, I’ve seen/read enough about the Falls, am expecting a bit of scrambling here and there!

Swello
    Free Member

Sounds great – you’ll have a blast. I walked Ft Bill –> Cape Wrath a few years back and it was as good a 2 weeks as I’ve had anywhere. I would like to do a bike version when I’ve got some time, but I wouldn’t use the same route as before – too many deep river crossings and completely trackless sections and I wouldn’t fancy taking a bike over the top of Fionaven!. If you’ve got any info you need about trails, conditions, etc – let me know and I’ll check my diary and my photos….

13thfloormonk

Cheers Swello, lots of evenings on the web or poring over old hiking books have put my mind at ease about what to expect, and i think my route takes in all the best trails/sights on offer up there. I have the whole route on memory map though if you want to have a look at it, would certainly appreciate any comments!

Oh, and i’ll be taking hiking shoes for the hills, although Fionaven wasn’t on my list.

I meant to add that i’m quite prepared to go later in the summer if it meant meeting other folk along the way, May is just my favoured month.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

13th floor monk – I would be interested in seeing the memory map of that route
    jeremyDOTpascoeATbtinternetDOTcom. I have walked large chunks f it over the years and cycled some. I would need to see your route to be sure but I would expect miles of walking and a good few miles of carrying the bike.

For sure it goes thru some of the best bits of scenery – no question.

scuttler

I meant to add that i’m quite prepared to go later in the summer if it meant meeting other folk along the way, May is just my favoured month.

May’s perfect. Later on in summer there’s one or two Scottish midges to contend with which could put a whole different slant on things.

So much as I love Torridon and Sutherland I can’t go 🙁

13thfloormonk

Scuttler, exactly why i chose May, plus it seems the most predictably fair weather of the year too…

Tandemjeremy, I’ll email the file(s) across tonight, i’ve yet to experiment with emailing routes so it might take a bit of fiddling.

On reflection though, I think i’d rather not know which bits are horribly unrideable, unless there’s a good off-road alternative that i’ve missed!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scottish highlands epic, anyone game?’ is closed to new replies.