Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Scottish Highlands at Easter?
  • professor_fate
    Free Member

Thinking about another mini road trip to the Highlands just after Easter for some quality rocky riding, as last year was memorable for the Torridon lollipop. I understand that the weather is likely to be iffy especially in the Western areas so any pointers as to alternative routes/areas offering techy goodness at lower levels or more sheltered spots.

matt_outandabout

Around Cairngorms, either Aviemore or Deeside, will offer flexibility of low land ish rides if the weather doesn’t play ball.

danti

Has it got to be the Highlands?
    I love Torridon but it may be a bit early for up there, obviously depending on weather.
    I’ve not been yet but heard good things about Golfie, Dunkeld (not the DH) and Comrie Croft.
    If you want to go further up then Laggan, Kinlochleven and around Aviemore all have plenty of tech.
    Golspie is also on my list but it’s sooooo far up.

professor_fate
    Free Member

The attraction of the Highlands, apart from the epic riding, is also the landscape and the feeling that you’re somewhere special. Did KLL last trip and it was good, looking for more of the same natural stuff…
    Aviemore and Deeside are appealing, not met Golfie or Comrie Croft – will check them out now.

FOG

We go to the Highlands in February most years and always get plenty of riding in. We have lost the odd day to weather but not many so Easter should be fine

matt_outandabout

Easter up here – I’ve gone from freezing by royal Rastafarian neenee’s off on an ice caked walk up Tarmachan in rain and cloud to being sunburned two days later riding in t-shirt and shorts at Glen Kendrum….

Go for flexibility, and expect it to vary…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

As above weather could really be anything at that time of year – Aboyne near me had 23* in March and snow in April a few years ago!

Lots of good natural riding on Deeside and around Aviemore and a few trail centre options too deepening on where exactly you’re basing yourself.

whitestone
    Free Member

Actually the weather in Scotland can be just about anything at any time of year. Back when I was climbing the usual advice (especially for winter) was: Don’t get fixated on a target. I.e. be adaptable in your plans.

scotroutes

If you’re not booking accommodation then leave yourself flexible to a stop on the way to Torridon (Aviemore is a good shout).

glenh
    Free Member

Spring is the best time of year in the Highlands. Go for it.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Our Scottish trip is going to be on the eastern side of the Cairngorms at the end of May this year ..I was twitching to get back to the Torridon area this year too.. and that may be a camping trip later in the year ..
    First did the classic circular Coulags / Annat route in 2010 when it was just starting to become known ..and have been back a couple of times since ..where I have noted quite a bit of erosion to the trail ..but hey that’s what happens when something becomes popular ..that first time though was pristine ..especially the first part of the descent from the Bealach at the start of the descent ..
    There are a couple of rides that still elude me ..the Ben Damph estate ..and Fionn Loch / Poolewe ride below ..enjoy yourself you lucky bugger..

I found this #OffRoadBiking route and thought you’d like it. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTAyMDU5 Via @ViewRanger

whitestone
    Free Member

Heritage paths is an interesting site if you fancy trying to follow some of the old ways. Some are easy riding, some aren’t and some – well …

scotroutes

We’re going to integrate the Heritage Paths site with other Scotways ROW data, targetted later this year. I’ll probably need to ride/walk a load more to get descriptions and photos updated too. Hopefully, folk will have begun to notice more reference to bikeability in some of the descriptions already.

fergal
    Free Member

Did this last spring in great conditions, a real gem.

Beinn Fhada, Kintail – The Most Beautiful Ride In The World

professor_fate
    Free Member

Hodgynd – thanks for that route, it’s in an area I want to check out!
    Fergal – …and this one’s on the list too, I met Stace in Torridon and he put me onto the Kenmore coffin route which is another excellent day out.

frazchops
    Free Member

Did this last spring in great conditions, a real gem.

http://unduro.co.uk/riding/beinn-fhada-the-most-beautiful-ride-in-the-world/

+1 For Beinn Fhada, the descent really is worth the boggy slog. Easy to add on to a few days riding if you’re keen for Torridon as well.

Last summer me and a riding chum did a wee three day road trip;
    1. Findhorn river
    2. Torridon
    2. Beinn Fhada / Kintail

Just make sure you’ve got plenty of spare kit/clothes!

fergal
    Free Member

Findhorn river, is that the Great Wilderness (fisherfield forest) fingers crossed this year, snow capped mountains with spring like conditions in the glens hopefully.

bearGrease

@frazchops as in paddling the Findhorn or biking round there? If latter do you have any links to routes? TIA!

Woody
    Free Member

Anything around Here
    pretty central and natural and rugged as you like within a few miles. Friendly welcome and bike storage too 😆

fergal
    Free Member

Oh the findhorn is in the NE got my rvers mixed up.

frazchops
    Free Member

@frazchops as in paddling the Findhorn or biking round there? If latter do you have any links to routes? TIA!

Here’s the route, there’s some extra wiggles in there due to a few mis-directions. There’s also some cheeky trails on the East side (if you can be bothered with them).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1145275448

Parked at the Logie Steading Vistors centre, https://www.logie.co.uk/steading/

mtbguiding
    Free Member

We run trips to the Highlands and Torridon every April – not missed a day due to bad weather yet (i’ll live to regret that!). I’d say one of the best times of year to be there 🙂

bearGrease

Thanks!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Highlands at Easter?’ is closed to new replies.