Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Scottish cider , does anyone know of any makers in the highlands and islands ?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

All I can find are a couple of producers in the South of the country.Im planning my Lejog trip around cider sampling but cant find any in this area .Real farmhouse stuff ideally.

scotroutes

Not many orchards north of Perth. Cairn o’Mohr do a cider but they’re based in Errol

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought that would be the answer .The reason im asking is I intend to write about my trip which will take in Wales and Ireland to raise money for stroke research as my Dsd suffered a stroke but loves cider .I thought it would be an idea to travel the British isles on a sampling tour !

devs
    Free Member

Even thistly cross is just made with concentrate shipped up from somerset or similar. Black Isle Brewery do a gorgeous cider but as far as I know they only do it for Belladrum Festival and not year round. Have you considered whisky?

Edric64
    Free Member

I have and love a good malt .The connection was to my dad and his love of scrumpy but I mat have to swap to malt for the island leg (what a chore !)

tinybits
    Free Member

You may as well ask for some nice Somerset single malt!

mogrim

Some nice beer produced in Scotland, too. Just an idea, like.

Drac

Scottish Cider you say, that’s easy but it’s on the Border’s.

Home

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Arran brewery make a cider I believe.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Not Scotland,but if you’re going anywhere near Hereford when you do Wales,then I can thoroughly recommend this place http://www.gwatkincider.co.uk/home.html

maccruiskeen

not cider, but not whiskey either..a fruit based drink , for the ladies

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Allanwater Brewhouse in Bridge of Allan make soft fruit cider. Not sure if they bottle it though, it’s a micro brewery. Muddy bikers welcome, collect you chips from the chippy across the road first though! Not quite the highlands but close than the others.

SD-253
    Free Member

.houndlegs – Member
    Not Scotland,but if you’re going anywhere near Hereford when you do Wales,then I can thoroughly recommend this place http://www.gwatkincider.co.uk/home.html

I get mine delivered from them £47 including delivery 20 litres. Unless your used to cider made with vintage (old English for good or great) variety apples avoid the dry. Norman and Harrington are good medium. At the moment I am making my own but when I run out I will be half and half medium and dry Gwatkins ciders. Just where my taste buds are at moment!

CraigW
    Free Member

not cider, but not whiskey either..a fruit based drink , for the ladies

Except the Moniack Highland Wineries isn’t actually made there any more. It seems its now made in Devon.

piemonster

You may as well ask for some nice Somerset single malt!

Not that far fetched tbh, there’s some from Norfolk.

Home

piemonster

I did meet a fella who had grand plans on going into business in Aberdeen at some point. The problem is the weather, doesn’t produce enough sweetness in the apples iirc. Although he reckoned it was just a case of finding the right strain of apples to cope with the climate.

I can’t think of anything further north than Carn O’Mohr http://www.cairnomohr.com/product-category/cider/

kcal

I thought of Moniack Wines and was also disappointed to realise they’re no longer North Scotland based really.

scud
    Free Member

Just been reading a book, “Mud, Sweat and Gears” in which they do LEJOG as an excuse for a real ale pub crawl, good reading and very light hearted.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I believe some of the NTS properties have collections of traditional apple varieties. I don’t know whether any of them make cider.

core

If you’re planning to visit Herefordshire (which you’d be insane not to on a cider tour), we’ve got:

Bulmers (very mainstream)
    Westons (bit mainstream, but cider/perry is amazing, nothing like Bulmers)
    Olivers
    Gwatkins
    Dunkertons
    Orgasmic Cider Co.
    Pips Cider

To name just a few, there are so many small cider producers in the county you’d never visit them all!

http://www.ciderroute.co.uk/site/index.html

gordimhor

http://www.waulkmillcider.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact
    Don’t know of anywhere in the Highlands and Islands but there’s this place in Langholm

StirlingCrispin

As surroundedbyhills says, Allanwater Brewhouse do cider, and had two types on for Xmas (including mulled cider?!).

No guarantees, but let them know you’re visiting and they may well do a special brew for you (it’s any excuse with that lot).

Tell Douglas that the mountain bikers sent you!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Scottish cider , does anyone know of any makers in the highlands and islands ?’ is closed to new replies.