Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Scottish C2C (Ft William to Montrose) with a trailer?
  • klieckens
    Free Member

Does someone know whether it is possible to ride that coast to coast track with a trailer or not? I do have a suspended and single-wheeled luggage trailer for off-road (The Mule from Tout-Terrain), but don’t have an idea about the conditions over there. At least some pictures with bikers doing something similar illustrate this trail in the book from Phil McKane (The Wild Trails – Scotland Mountainbiking)…

scotroutes

The Corrieyairack will be an absolute bastard in that direction towing a trailer. There are huge new waterbars that didn’t exist when the book was written and they are large step-ups when heading East.

You’ll also have the gorge in Glen Feshie (and the landslips). That’ll involve a few trips back and forth shuttling bike and trailer.

In general, just take less kit so that you don’t need a trailer.

matt_outandabout

It will be doable – tough day over Feshie-Braemar and again up Keen, but doable.

FWIW, I thought the finish in Montrose was rubbish- from above Edzell to coast is all road.

I think a finish in Aberdeen may be better, dropping down Royal Deeside, or head through Speyside/Speyside way would be nicer (but more problematic for train transport back)

klieckens
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice! Traveling light is definitely always a better way to go. The purpose of that trailer is to be self-supported with respect to food and camping gear. I may look for alternative tracks/regions…

Waderider
    Free Member

Trailers weight too much. The small wheel doesn’t roll well over rugosities. Luggage on them tends to be wide and low restricting the ability to pick lines between obstacles. They’re ideally suited to road, forest road cycling and pedestrian cycle paths. Why would you?

Back in the day it was a drysack on a rack and a 30 litre Kimm sack, try something similar.

scotroutes

klieckens – Member
    Thanks for all the advice! Traveling light is definitely always a better way to go. The purpose of that trailer is to be self-supported with respect to food and camping gear. I may look for alternative tracks/regions…

I’ve done a very similar route and many others without a trailer. Trust me, you’re carrying too much. A rack and panniers or some strap-on soft luggage are much better options. You’ll be able to buy food and find water en route. It’s Scotland, not Outer Mongolia.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Scottish C2C (Ft William to Montrose) with a trailer?’ is closed to new replies.