Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scottish C2C – fill in the gaps
  • singletracksurfer

Trying to decide whether to start from Kyle of Lochalsh and use the ferry over Kyle Rhea, going past Corran, to Invergarry
    or
    start from Oban and go via Kinglass, then join the WHW (over the devils staircase) past Kinlochleven & Fort William, to Invergarry.

Also, what route would you recommned from Kingussie to Braemar?
    1: Gaick pass – Glen Tilt
    2: Glen Feshie – Glen Geldie
    3: Aviemore – Lairig Ghru

Thanks.

I’ve never done the Kyle of Lochalsh option, so can’t comment, but Glen Kinglass and the WHW is all good stuff. The Great Glen Way from Fort William to Invergarry isn’t the most exciting, but it’s a good way to cover the miles quickly.

For Kingussie to Braemar:

1. The Gaick Pass – Glen Tilt is a pretty good option. The singletrack along the side of Loch an Duin is nice, but it is a bit of a wind tunnel – have always had a headwind when I’ve ridden it in that direction.

2. Our Coast to Coast follows the Sustrans cycle route past Ruthven Barracks to Feshiebridge, then up Glen Feshie and down the Geldie Burn to Linn of Dee. I am a big fan of Glen Feshie – absolutely beatuiful.

If you want to stop in Braemar then follow the tarmac on the south side of the Dee into the village. Following the north side of the River Dee gives less tarmac, but bypasses the village crossing the main road at the Old Brig o’Dee. You’d need to double back on yourself a wee bit to get into Braemar .

3. I wouldn’t bother. 6 hours of pushing, carrying and bad language over boulderfields and bogs!

Loads of pics here:

The descent on south side of Mount Keen

and here:

Clash of Wirren singletrack

Hope that’s of some help

Phil
    http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com

singletracksurfer

thanks phil thats great.

Does Fort William count as the coast?
    Might just start there then.

option 2 it is then. Much more direct as well (which we’ll no doubt be wanting by then).

Aye Fort William is on Loch Linnhe – a sea loch. Ardnamurchan Point is the furthest west you can get on the mainland, but is a bit of an arse to get to!

Starting on the pier at Fort William with the tide out and lots of junk visible!

Give me a shout if you need help with accommodation / baggage transfer etc

josemctavish
    Free Member

If you start from Kyle of Lochalsh you can head to Shiel Bridge, up Glen Lichd and then climb into Glen Affric which is stunning.

Then, South over the hills to Glen Moriston and up through Inchnacardoch Forest to Fort Augustus.

Next is the Corrieyairack Pass to Kingussie which will leave you with the choices you stated, plus heading through Abernethy and across to Tomintoul -Glen Avon – Glen Gairn or Cullardoch.

I’ve done a lot of C2C variations over the last few years so feel free to ask about any other route choices.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Depends what kind of riding you want to get out of the trip.

>If you start from Kyle of Lochalsh you can head to Shiel Bridge<

Better places to spend the night imo. I’d ignore the the lovely Kyle of Loch A and start from Shiel Bridge itself 🙂 Shiel Bridge Hotel operates the “wee bunkouse” (capacity 4) has decent grub / beer and you’re on the trail in 10 mins rather than hacking over from Kyle.

Feshie’s a much better ride in the opp direction. Have a look at the Lairig an Laoigh / Glen Derry. Softer option than the LG and more technical than Feshie.

singletracksurfer

what is your recommendation/favourite route jose.
    (couldn’t find glen lichd).

thanks phil may give you a call sometime when a bit more sorted/certain.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have spelt it Gleann Lichd, it’s a bit of a steep push at times, but the scenery more than makes up for it all the way through. I assumed you were looking for train stations, so yes you could start from Shiel Bridge as we did if you were driving, cos the water’s still salty!

My favourite route goes like this:

Ardnamurchan Point – Glendrian – Path to Fascadale – Ockle – track past the Singing sands to Acharacle then along the road to Strontian.

Strontian – Over the hill to Polloch – Beautiful track along Loch Shiel to Glenfinnan – Single track road to Camusnagaul ferry – Fort William – West Highland Way to Kinlochleven.

Kinlochleven – Glen Coe via WHW/Devils’s Staircase – Black Corries Lodge – Across Rannoch Moor – Rannoch Station – Forestry tracks to Loch Ericht – Boggy trudge to Ben Alder Cottage.

Ben Alder Cottage – Bealach Dubh – Loch Ericht – Dalwhinnie – Kingussie

Kingussie – Glen Feshie – Glen Geldie – Invercauld – Ballochbuie Forest – Ballater.

Ballater – Craig Vallich – Glen Tanar – Mount Keen – Glen Esk – Glen Dye

Glen Dye – Fetteresso – Durris – Minor roads and cycle route to Aberdeen!

There are tons of alternative options at various points, but this route as a whole is still the one we talk about, mainly because of the bogs! I did a write-up of our trip on STW but it’s long gone I should imagine.

whyter

From Kingussie, go to Aviemore, Ryvoan Pass, Glen Brown, Tomintoul, Braemar (50 miles).

From there, I then went Braemar, Ballater, Mount Keen, Montrose (70 miles), and home!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Another alternative to Braemar from Kingussie would be to head to Aviemore/Glenmore, up Bynack Mor to drop down toward the Fords of Avon and then down Glen Derry and on to Braemar.

13thfloormonk

If you do make it as far as Glen Derry, do consider going to Braemar via Claise Fearnaig, Glen Quoich and Glen Slugain:

Claise Fearnaig, from Glen Derry this would be a short unrideable climb followed by some very sweet rocky singletrack, descending into Glen Quoich:

And a mixture of some good/some boggy singletrack would take you to Glen Slugain:

I’m climbing it in the pic, but as a descent it would be fantastic!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Scottish C2C – fill in the gaps’ is closed to new replies.