Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Scottish beer
  • scotroutes

Nigg

Just ask the locals 😆

jemima
    Free Member

I was going to suggest some of the ones bigjim suggested (Cromarty, Loch Ness, Black Isle) mostly as they are all local to me too. Note the Cromarty Red Rocker is so named as they are situated just a few miles from Learnie Red Rock trails. I’d say Black Isle Brewery are trend setters to some extent, at least locally, as they started out very small scale probably around 20 years ago and branched out to the big time when they first stocked in Sainsburys I think. Seem to be a lot of little breweries pop up since then and all power to them.

I would add Orkney Dark Island. One of my favorites.

I am also a fan of plain old 80/- (McEwens) and the extremely hard to find Tennants Ember equivalent is also very good I think.

Had some Moray IPA from previously unknown to me Speyside Brewery last week and was also very good.

Kunstler

Top thread.

I’m very lucky to have a fantastic offy – ‘Cornelius’ just around the corner. They claim to have 200 Scottish beers, which is pretty amazing. Me and the lad have random mini ‘beer festivals’ where we buy several bottles of something we’ve never had and taste score them. Can’t remember much of the results. I do remember not buy ‘Man Overboard’ double IPA again though.

Also lucky to have the Hanging Bat here in Edinburgh. Their Alpha Project IPA is wonderful and I’d very much recommend it but I think a few folk on this thread might self combust at the thought of entering a pace that refers to itself as a beer cafe.

There seems to be a lot of good beer, a bit of a trendy boom – small breweries everywhere. I wonder how well it will last.

Last week I was in Aldi and picked up a River Leven Blonde (In other contexts a statement often followed with ‘and then got in a fight with a local’). Beer good.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I tried a couple of Black Isle beers the other week, Sainsbury’s in Peebles were selling them.
    They did a nice Blonde and the Red Kite was good. http://www.blackislebrewery.com/beer/Black-Isle-Blonde-Beer.html#.VXBTapXbLIU

zilog6128

There seems to be a lot of good beer, a bit of a trendy boom – small breweries everywhere. I wonder how well it will last.

I assume it’s the same up and down the UK – certainly also the case where I am (in the SE). It’s never been a better time to be a beer drinker! (Or a brewer – a lot of the local micro brewers seems to be doing very well at the moment).

Me and the lad have random mini ‘beer festivals’ where we buy several bottles of something we’ve never had and taste score them. Can’t remember much of the results.

I can recommend the Untappd app – it’s like Strava but for drinking!

Kit
    Free Member

Since I’ve been majorly procrastinating instead of thesis writing, I put this together.

Map of Scottish breweries
    https://kitcarruthers.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/scottish-brewery-locations/

BoardinBob

Well worth visiting if you’re in the area

http://www.scottishrealales.com

scotroutes

Spey Valley Brewery, Mulben, AB55 6YH

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I was just going to say 3 pages and no one has mentioned Tempest Brewery. Disgraceful.

The were mentioned on page 1, no? But yes, awesome brewery.

Forget brew dog etc

While not every beer is a hit with them, they do do some really good beers, no point in writing them off just because they’re popular.

grum
    Free Member

While not every beer is a hit with them, they do do some really good beers, no point in writing them off just because they’re popular.

Yeah I quite enjoy some of Brewdog’s beers and they’ve certainly helped kick off the craft brewery movement in Scotland. They’re not niche enough for STW now I guess.

Kunstler

Black Metal Brewery, Loanhead EH20 9LZ (is that Stewart Brewing then?). Hail the ale.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Could just be on the same industrial site.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Kit – good call on the Thistly Cross (even if it’s not beer).

West Brewery is a good though the bar food is overpriced. Still worth a visit though, the place justifies it as opposed to Brewdog who just seem to take the wee on everything.

Wait, brewery in Ayr? That’s my Saturday sorted then 🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

I really enjoy a couple of bottles of beers from here:

http://www.standrewsbrewingcompany.com

Kit
    Free Member

Map updated with scotroutes and Kunstler suggestions. How Loanhead copes with 4 breweries, I don’t know 😀

Kunstler

Loanhead is close enough to supply the hordes of metal heads of Penicuik without being over run by them.

The Hanging Bat on Lothian Road has it’s own brewery too. Distinguished by making the nicest beer I have ever tasted.

greaseham
    Free Member

Depending on the style of beer…

Fyne Ales – Hurricane Jack: A nice easy drinking hoppy IPA
    Brewdog – Jackhammer: A massive american style IPA (my fave BD beer)
    Fallen Brewing – Chew Chew: A salted caramel stout – awesome

West Beer – St. Mungo: A clean crisp German style larger made to the German purity law
    6º North – Trippel – A MASSIVE Belgian with hints of banana and clove

They are not all readily available, but there are definitely worth keeping an eye out for.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I picked up some Tempest ales in Aldi today. Also got a very nice golden summer ale brewed by Williams Bros.

Pyro

I’m really glad it seems to have taken a few pages before anyone mentioned Brewdog, the irritating overrated self-obsessed wee brat of Scottish brewing…

scotroutes

Currently rocking this stuff.

It’s a limited edition so I’ve been laying down stocks!

Northwind

I don’t drink much beer, what with it causing my stomach lining to dissolve but when I do… Last time it was

A meal in itself.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

They had lots of I n G in Aldi too.

bainbrge

Another for Black Isle

Order direct from them for great crates, I got some specials last time including a smoked porter which I loved. All their small bottle specials are worth trying.

arrpee
    Free Member

Scottish beer is indeed going through a bit of a renaissance at the moment. So much so that I barely drink wine anymore.

Fallen Brewing was mentioned above and is fairly local to me. Their Blackhouse Smoked Porter is the bollocks. Rich as a butcher’s turd. As a contrast, their Citra Odyssey blonde is perfect summer’s day fayre.

Only downside is that if you find yourself in a mediocre pub, the experience feels even grimmer than usual.

vorlich
    Free Member

Drygate, cool labels and nice beer, even the apple ale is nice, which surprised me.

Williams Pavlov’s Dog might be my new fave.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Strathbraan

gordimhor

@Richmtb and Stu_N Kinlochleven brewery is now known as http://www.riverlevenales.co.uk/products
    The Ipa is good

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Scottish beer’ is closed to new replies.