Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Scottish beer
  • pedropete

Just supping my way through a bottle of this while cooking a risotto for my kids & what a marvellous beer! Are there any other Scottish bottled beers that measure up to this one? I may have to have another.

matt_outandabout

In no particular order. (and what our local sells…)

Drac

Distinctively average I find that, pleasant enough but nothing special. The Cairngorm Beers are Ok but again just nothing special.

Cougar

80/- (eighty shilling).

drslow
    Free Member

I’m a big Arran fan, can’t say there’s a bad one in the bunch. Also like Thrappledouser. Orkney company is good. Thankfully local Tesco is big on Scottish beers and beers of the world. (Rutherglen if anyone’s close)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Scottish beers
    This used to be my local shop but stopped by to get some Tempest beers, which are excellent, and discovered they have an extensive selection.

Houns

chickenman

Harvieston 7 Giraffes….mmmmmm

Drac

Oooh yes good call on Tempest.

StirlingCrispin

http://bridgeofallan.co.uk/

All the best rides finish there!

bruneep

chickenman

80/-. Who here remembers The Diggers in Gorgie as it was 20 years ago, where your eye was caught as you walked in the door and you held up the requisite number of fingers pertaining to the amounts of pints of Heavy you desired; these were then poured? If you wanted something else you got a scowl instead.

rewski
    Free Member

You lot would hate this 😉

scotroutes

Me: “Four pints of heavy and a pint of lager please”
    (Barman pours dinks)
    Barman (loudly): “There you go – four heavy and a lager for the poof”
    (Time passes)
    Mate: “Five pints of heavy please”
    Barman: “Oh – the poof’s drinking heavy now?”

We used to drive along from work, scoop down four pints, and drive back. On our hour break.

Cougar

Me: “Four pints of heavy and a pint of lager please”

I once ordered “a pint of fizzy piss” for a mate. Without missing a beat, the barperson decanted me a pint of Fosters.

(Mind you, that was in the same pub that once got Hobgoblin on tap, amended the pump masthead to change the “H” to an “N” and refused to serve it unless it was asked for by its corrected name.)

Drac

Heavy is 70/- 😀

scotroutes

Heavy is normally 80/-

Drac

The main categories are as follows:
    60/- (aka “Light”) under 3.5% ABV
    70/- (aka “Heavy”) 3.5%-4.5% ABV
    80/- (aka “Heavy” or “Export”) 4.0%-5.5% ABV
    90/- (aka “Wee Heavy”) over 5.5% ABV

scotroutes

McEwan’s is best known for 80/-, a Heavy beer,

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McEwan%27s]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McEwan%27s[/url]

When William McEwan founded his brewery at Fountainbridge in Edinburgh in 1856, this 80/- (‘eighty shilling’) was one of the first beers he produced. It was the beer of choice for McEwan’s brewery workers and at one time the local pub sold almost nothing else! Its classic full flavour is still much loved at home and abroad.

This traditional Scottish premium ale is also known as ‘Heavy’ and when it comes to taste it certainly packs a powerful punch.http://www.mcewans.co.uk/our-beers/80-2/?age-verified=bd772adae6

Your round Drac 😆

chickenman

Colin: That’s made my day! 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m on holiday on Arran, and just polished off a very pleasant Arran Clyde Puffer – their Blonde is also excellent.

Cougar

The McEwan’s 80/- is nice but it’s a poor cousin of, er, the other one. Deuchar’s? Maybe.

scotroutes

Worth it for the name alone

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s took a long time for the beer up here to catch up with the amount of decent beers in England, but we’re getting there. Both of my local rides now feature a pub that sells schiehallion on draft, awesome stuff.

Drac

Your round Drac

Awww you spoilt my fun.

I spent 8 weeks training with Glaswegians when I was 19. They’d properly get wound up when I bought them any bitter saying it was all heavy. Although they all agreed it was the generic term for bitter they liked McEwans 80/- shilling to be called it.

Of course can we trust wiki?

Light
    (60/-) was under 3.5% abv
    Heavy
    (70/-) was between 3.5% and 4.0% abv
    Export
    (80/-) was between 4.0% and 5.5% abv
    Wee heavy
    (90/-) was over 6.0% abv

bedmaker

If I could only drink one kind of beer for the rest of my life, from anywhere in the world, it wouldbe Deuchars IPA.
    It just does everything a beer needs to do.

This has been given long and serious thought.
    A good pint of 80 on tap is pretty close to perfection too though.

TheFlyingOx

Always a fan of Fraoch heather ale. Might be a gimmick, but it tastes lovely to me.

Also, very much agreed with StirlingCrispin. The brewery at BoA is bloody superb. They’ll even fill a 4 litre milk jug with a beer of your choice for the home drinking enthusiasts.

scotroutes

Calling Heavy “Bitter”? Now you’re cruisin’ fer a bruisin’

Unfortunately the older style Scottish Heavy is becoming increasingly difficult to find as todays styles are very hopped. Diggers Heavy was particularly known for being quite sweet and owed much of its popularity to being “drawn” by water cistern pumps resulting in a very creamy, smooth texture.

OP – if you like the style of I&G then you really need to find some Tullibardine 1488.

Drac

Calling Heavy “Bitter”? Now you’re cruisin’ fer a bruisin’

😀

pedropete

OP – if you like the style of I&G then you really need to find some Tullibardine 1488.

Like the sound of that- it was the oaky whisky aftertaste that really stood out for me with the I & G

matt_outandabout

StirlingCrispin – Member

http://bridgeofallan.co.uk/

All the best rides finish there!

Erm, you forget The Tappit…

househusband

Eden Mill are just up the road and I do like to bolster the local economy…

ton

that Spey Stout is very good. colin treat us with some.
    arran blonde is nice, islay finlaggan and saligo is gorgeous.
    and all the pales from the cairngorm area are very good.

tcomc1000
    Free Member

Gentlemen,
    Having been in gods country for 8 months now I can happily impart these words……

Joker

Jarl

That is all…..

StirlingCrispin

Erm, you forget The Tappit…

If you’re going to climb to get to a bar you might as well really climb…

The Sherrifmuir Inn. Also serves Erdinger, and the trails back to civilisation are hilarious after a couple of pints of that stuff.

matt_outandabout

Jarl

mmmmmm, mmmmmmm, mmmm

I might just have to pop out to have a swift pint at the Tappit meet eldest son from band practice. 😉

Cougar

Worth it for the name alone

Brilliant.

If I could only drink one kind of beer for the rest of my life, from anywhere in the world, it wouldbe Deuchars IPA.

Seriously? Drink more beer.

matt_outandabout

The Sherrifmuir Inn. Also serves Erdinger, and the trails back to civilisation are hilarious after a couple of pints of that stuff.

I have never been in. The gathering stone descent would be fun afterwards.

I now have a cunning plan for Friday night, when an old friend visits. 8)

StirlingCrispin

The gathering stone descent would be fun afterwards.

Indeed.

The Strava segment down to Darn walk is called “Erdinger Giggles”.
    Some bugger stole my KOM by being sober!
    I’ll email you some map grabs…

squirrelking
    Free Member

mmmmmm, mmmmmmm, mmmm
    I might just have to pop out to have a swift pint at the Tappit meet eldest son from band practice.

The Hen still there is it?

Arran Red Squirrel is very nice, only ever seen it on draught though. Oh, and 7 Giraffes is Williams not Harviestoun. Williams stuff has always been a favourite, Fraoch is always a good choice if you want something different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Scottish beer’ is closed to new replies.