Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Scott scale owners – ok for general trail fun ?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger on a scale 730 after much changing of mind regarding what new mtb to have… I like hardtails, I like lightweight, I also like messing about… Nothing daft, no massive doubles or 10ft drops, few trail centres that’s it. I’m not going to be a fancy xc racer by any means – am I doing the right thing or will its feeble carbon frame fracture into a thousand arse piercing pieces ?

radoggair
    Free Member

yes, brilliant bike

njee20
    Free Member

Great bikes, but they are XC race hardtails.

If you’re never going to use it as a race bike it may not be the ideal choice. Not built to be comfortable or forgiving if that’s an issue?

You’re unlikely to break it though.

Carax
    Free Member

Sounds like just the ticket for your requirements.
    If you do not abuse it, it will give you years of joy.

rusty90
    Free Member

Light, stiff and very lively. Not a comfortable trail center pootling machine though. Great uphill but can be a bit too exciting on steep technical descents. I love mine, but now use a Cotic Soul as my regular ride which is luxurious by comparison.

aracer
    Free Member

Not sure if everybody here knows Scott’s numbering scheme, but that version will doubtless make the trails come alive.

Garry_Lager

I’d be more concerned with the ride position, which will presumably be pretty far forward, race-orientated. Piloting one of these down rocky, difficult trails can be a real handful. Guess on the plus side it will make you a better rider; swing your leg over a FS after the scale and it will feel like a wheeled-armchair.

You’ll go at warp speed round the smoother trail centres, though, and I wouldn’t be concerned about throwing it about a wee bit in this environment.

njee20
    Free Member

The odd bit of air won’t be a problem – Nino Schurter manages ok on his:

rusty90
    Free Member

If you’re comfortable descending in a position like this it could be just the bike for you!

Ifrider
    Free Member

Njee20, by comparison my last bike was a sanderson life with 100mm travel, before that an Indy fab deluxe (rigid) and rigid dekerf before that…

rickon
    Free Member

I’d agree with Njee on this one, why buy an XC race bike, when you’re going to not be XC racing?

If you really want the bike, then do just buy it. But something like a Cotic Solaris, or Soul, or any of the more trail oriented hardtails would be a lot more fun to ride overall.

If you’re just wanting to go uphill fast, and shut your eyes going down, then the Scale might be a good bet 🙂

marthall
    Free Member

Got a new 710 8 weeks ago.

Uphill it’s unreal, like having someone pushing you. On the road you can take on roadies, XC it is a complete joy, technical downhill is “exciting” but not bad. You need to have your wits about you, but the frame is suprisingly springy (in a good way) for a hard tail. Came off at Llandegla when I think I’d have survived on a full-suss but I had a massive grin when I got to the cafe. Frame and arse survived crash! 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

I’d agree with Njee on this one, why buy an XC race bike, when you’re going to not be XC racing?

because they are fast and fun in a different sort of way. I guess the question to ask yourself, do you ride to go from a to b, to go uphill to go downhill?

TBH for me i don’t race much at all but i have no interest in new style play bikes, it isn’t why i ride.

mud-monster
    Free Member

Great Bikes!! Had one on a demo… Carbon 26″ from 2 years ago was the most balanced bike I have ridden… IN the slop on summer tyres it was very predictable and drifty in a good way. MUCH FUN

DT78
    Free Member

Well I’ve had my 920 for a month, so far ridden my local trails, swinley, cwmcarn xc and brecfa red + black. All with the saddle at race height, can never be bothered to stop and fiddly with things. Only one section of brecfa was a little interesting and that was because I pinch flatted on the front (the first steep swoopy descent on the black)

The bike is great, super fast. I’m not racefit at the moment by any stretch (10lb too heavy…) but I’ve shaved mins off all my fastest dry times. PR’s on all the up and along bits and very close to PRs on descents (vs 2009 26er anthem). The only thing the anthem was better at was the ability to keep the power down through rough sections, something I haven’t got the hang of with the scale yet (hardtail vs full sus)

Its a brilliant bike. I’m toying with the idea of chucking a reverb on it for trail centres. The whole bike feels solid.

I wish I’d bought one sooner.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ll re-iterate…

‘General Trail Fun’ != XC Race Bike.

Even though it will work fine as a trail bike, it’s not its intended use and a different bike better fits the requirement.

Ifrider
    Free Member

Think you guys have persuaded me… Sounds just right to me, 2 hr fun blast at full pelt… Can slog out the all day comfort rides on the defy I’ve just bought and keep this for thrashing on. Reckon the stock stem being shortened’ll sort the downhill side of the ride… Never had full suss and quite like the idea of “enjoying” the uphills. Cheers for the feedback but keep em coming…

grtdkad

I’m not exactly ‘light’, more ‘heft’ and have had my Scale Premium (1×10) since the spring. Love it.
    As already described it can and will go like stink and leave you with a smile on your face!

I’m always a tad perplexed by the maths:

Frame 2lb
    Bike 20lb
    Rider 200lb

! ! ! !

grtdkad

… Pauls Cycles have some pretty good deals on a few bikes in the Scale range ..,

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b8s2p4028/SCOTT-SCALE-PREMIUM-%282012%29

rusty90
    Free Member

Think you guys have persuaded me… Sounds just right to me

Excellent, go for it! The nearest analogy I can think of is having a Caterham Kit car, or something like that – not sensible, not safe, not comfortable, but gets the endorphins running like nothing else.

Reckon the stock stem being shortened’ll sort the downhill side of the ride

No, it’s not that simple. At all. You need to get used to riding like this :

swiss01
    Free Member

i have two scales and a spark. they are top fun.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had a Spark which I used to race on, I’ve had a few XC race hardtails too. They were all great fun.

They were no where near what my Cotic BFe was, which was surefooted and confidence inspiring.

There really is no penalty for having a very very slightly heavier or more springy bike, unless you’re actually full on racing in races.

It sounds like you know what bike you want to buy, and want STW to justify it for you.

Anyway, like I said – you can perfectly well ride a XC race bike over the terrain that any other 5″ trail bike can – but… it just wont be a nice.

Something like this meets the non-functional requirements:

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well I had a C’dale flash that I used for a variety of riding and though it was a very good, supremely efficient and competent XC mile muncher I wouldn’t describe it as fun, which is why I got rid. Depends on your definition of fun of course. If it’s about arse up head down and get round and over the trail obstacles and features as quickly and efficiently as possible, then it’s the right bike. If you want to ‘play with the trail’, session features, then it’s nowhere near as much fun as a more trail orientated bike. Not saying you can’t have fun on an XC racer, like I said, depends on your definition of fun.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Scott scale owners – ok for general trail fun ?’ is closed to new replies.