Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Scott Scale chainset upgrade – advice please
  • Hi all, I’m having a bit of a dilemma about upgrading my Scott Scale 35, would appreciate some help.

It came with 9spd SRAM X9 but a nasty LX E-type front mech (don’t like the look of the design) and Shimano Deore chainset which does the job perfectly well but doesn’t match with the rest of the groupset.

I like the look of the 10spd 2 ring (39/26) chainsets and need to replace the front mech anyway so can get one that works with this, but I’m not sure if about how it’ll work with an otherwise 9spd setup.

Otherwise, I’ll stick with a triple chainset but I’m not really sure what decent non-Shimano stuff is out there… although the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 on offer at Merlin is looking good at the moment.

Would be grateful for any advice 🙂

schmiken

The E-Type will work fine, I’m running one on a Scale set up with 28/40 on an M970 chainset. It’s not pretty, but works without any problems.
    If you’re fussy though, you can get the SRAM 38.2 clamp which will band on around the seat tube and look nicer.

10 speed chainset works without any issues on an otherwise 9 speed setup too.

cheers schmiken – how about using 28/40 with a 3spd shifter – does it work ok?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep it’ll be fine, did that myself.

schmiken

I’m using an X0 Gripshift and also a SRAM 3 speed trigger. Works fine on both.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Scott Scale chainset upgrade – advice please’ is closed to new replies.