Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scott ransom your views
  • billysewartcrf
    Free Member

Im looking at by a Scott ransom 30 2008 frame, it’s just had the shock serviced and had a brand new rear triangle. A friend is offering this to me very cheap but I’ve heard the equaliser shock is temperamental. I’m looking for your views on these, do you own one? Had experience with one?

Thanks Billy.

Bregante

Three mates had the ally 08 frames. All 3 snapped and were replaced under warranty with carbon ones which have a much better record iirc. Great bouncy bikes though. The different rear shock settings do help them climb better than you’d imagine. Altitude adventure in the Pyrenees rode them (carbon) pretty much every day for 3 seasons ( now replaced with the Genius LT). depending on price, may be worth a gamble. The 30’s ally is it not? If it’s not snapped yet…….

billysewartcrf
    Free Member

“Three mates had the ally 08 frames. All 3 snapped and were replaced under warranty with carbon ones which have a much better record iirc. Great bouncy bikes though. The different rear shock settings do help them climb better than you’d imagine. Altitude adventure in the Pyrenees rode them (carbon) pretty much every day for 3 seasons ( now replaced with the Genius LT). depending on price, may be worth a gamble. The 30’s ally is it not? If it’s not snapped yet…….”

Hi mate the 30 is alloy frame, he has snapped the rear triagle but has just bought a new one, he is only asking £250 so maybe going to take a gamble

xcstu
    Free Member

Mate of mine snapped 2 of the alloy and then was give a carbon.. def much better

Pic of alloy 🙁

Bregante

Think I’d give it a go for that money, especially if that mad shock thing has been serviced. Make sure you get the pump too cos it runs at silly pressure.

Bregante

^^^^^^^^. That’s where two I know of went (other was rear triangle)

xcstu
    Free Member

Yep 2nd one of his went on the rear triangle too… slight worry would be the carbon one still comes with an alloy rear triangle!

rj
    Free Member

For balance, the only person I know with a carbon Ransom broke it.

lister11
    Free Member

i’ve a scott ransom 30 (alloy). snapped the chainstay last year – i’m not even sure how – i just noticed the crack whilst stripping it for sale.

Replaced the chainstay recently and plan to run it for the mega.

I’ve had zero shock issues though (as he touches wood!).

I really like the bike, the options and the way it rides but can’t keep paying £110 for a chainstay.

Hopefully this is the end of my woes as it is not a warrenty job (2nd hand)

mildred

Ask yourself this – why would a manufacturer stop making a bike that pretty much won ‘bike of the year’ in every magazine and web magazine when it was launched?

Answer – ‘cos it were shite!!

I had one and just couldn’t get it to work properly at the back. That is, absorb shocks. It wouldn’t sit into its travel, it bottomed out harshly on medium size hits, it extended alarmngly on heavy braking, and then you look at how many broke 🙁

I’d say at that price for a second hand frame that is fairly restricted in seatpost size and rear shock, run – run away and hide until it goes away. then, pu the money towards a 2003 Kona Coiler that will actually work without snapping or throwing you over the bars.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ask yourself this – why would a manufacturer stop making a bike that pretty much won ‘bike of the year’ in every magazine and web magazine when it was launched?

Erm, because it’s five years old? Spesh would still be making the 2005/6 Enduro otherwise. The Ransom had a very long life in production MTB terms.

mildred

Its still shite.

neil853
    Free Member

I had a carbon one for 2 1/2 years, fantastic bike IMO. I did everything from XC races, enduros and two holidays in the Alps, never really put a foot wrong. Considering how much it got used (2-3 times a week) the bearings lasted well, around 1 set every 12-18 months. Only had one shock issue and the scott service centre (evans cycles in Kendal), sent out a new shock straight away.

I think the alloy ones had some issues, but then again not every one of them did. There’s a lot of cack on the internet about someones broke this and someones broke that but to be honest for every one that failed they’ll be dozens that didn’t. For that sort of money its worth a punt.

kaesae
    Free Member

Go onto ebay and buy a giant reign frame then service it, my reign cost me £750 all in and I love it 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scott ransom your views’ is closed to new replies.