Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • scott high octane ??? avoid or bargin?
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ive bin offered a scott high octane full bike for a swap for my hardtail ive heard rumours about the octane about cracks and snappages is this true?

legend
    Free Member

yup, Scott DH bikes used to have a real reputation for having issues – this includes the High Octane. Wouldn’t be top of my old bargain DH bike list

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

So not a bargin entry into dh then? Lol ive got a letoy 3 with decent spec and thats what i offered maybe not the best then. Im a big guy too so its a miss then?

legend
    Free Member

Yeah one to avoid imo. Have a look for a Giant Glory, absolute tanks, never heard of one fail and usually a few for sale

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Il look for a glory then are big hits ok or stinkys?

oldschool

Still have a high octane and it still gets ridden on up lifts (and alps last year). As a DH bike newer stuff may (will) be better though. I’m not known for my mechanical sympathy and it’s still not snapped despite numerous offs. The adjustment (bottom bracket height, head angle, travel and seat tower angle)meant it was a propper DH bike of of time and the ride is still pretty good, for a single pivot bike. Keep looking at newer frames but to be fair for an uplift a month I’m happy to keep it and spend more money on other bikes. It’s a matter of whether you want a relatively cheap but capable DH rig or want to spend more on something newer.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Im 6 ft 4 and 20 stone and destroy bikes ive not ridden my letoy as yet as only just built it but the high octane was tempting however a lot of parts had bin changed ie front singlecrown drop offs and ttuvativ cranks along with shimano wheels on d521 hubs and old hayes brakes

tomaso
    Free Member

A large mate of mine has his 2007 vintage High Octane as his do it all bike and rides fast in the Lakes and still not broken it. It pedals surprisingly well!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘scott high octane ??? avoid or bargin?’ is closed to new replies.