Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Scott going all 27.5+
  • honourablegeorge
    Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not sure I like mountain bikes any more.

ratherbeintobago

Are they not just the 29er models with more tyre room?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    letmetalktomark

You cant link to BR from here you’ll break the internets….

u02sgb
    Free Member

Lots of questionable comparisons there to make their figures look good. e.g. comparing the 3.0 tyres to the 2.8 (I’m not using 3.0 tyres) and comparing the rim weights of their 27.5+ rim to a 29er one at 30mm.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m inclined to agree.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

best thing about this is more tyre choice for + hope some of them come over to 29+

rOcKeTdOg

There’s no room on this band waggon Scott!

honourablegeorge

ratherbeintobago – Member

Basically, yeah. I quite liked the idea of plus sized tyres when it was just whacking them into 29ers. It’s less likable when you suddenly need a new fork, front and rear hubs, rims, tyres, a wider spaced frame and offset spider – that’s even more than needed replacing when they went from 26 to 27.5

ahwiles
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member

that’s how i see it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

which is no bad thing

god dam you bike industry for giving us choice 😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

god dam you bike industry for giving us choice making all my existing parts obsolete so I can’t pop into any shop and buy them anymore

I sort of see the point in this. Sounds like more weight for little advantage though.

brooess
    Free Member

god dam you bike industry for giving us choice

There is no choice, that’s why people are so fed up with it all. A new wheelsize whilst still supplying those who want the old one is choice. Moving wholesale to a new wheelsize and then another less than 2 years later, totally removing support for the installed base and forcing a whole new bike to be bought when all you actually needed was a new tyre is taking the proverbial…

Either way, I was thinking about buying a new full suss but this has convinced me to keep my 26″ Soul for as long as I can until the industry stops messing about. In the meantime, I’m riding mainly road, in part cos I can keep riding the bike I have… don’t know about you but I don’t have £2k+ every two years to buy a new bike

nemesis
    Free Member

I think you’re missing that there is choice – at least by my reckoning you can use 650b and 29er wheels in the same frame – that’s choice of sorts.

650b+ isn’t really a new wheel size, it’s just 29er (give or take) with more clearance.

These at least continue to support those who are using 650b or 29er but yes, the dropping of 26″ has been a different matter.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Why innovate when you can just make stuff slightly bigger(or smaller)

wors

I’m inclined to agree.

Me 3

rOcKeTdOg

There is no choice

Yes there is, but or don’t buy

brooess
    Free Member

There is no choice
    Yes there is, but or don’t buy

Well, that’s not really a choice, as you know. If you love mountain biking and use it to keep physically and mentally healthy, it’s not a choice at all…
    If you, like most people in the UK, are a bit skint, buying a new bike is not an option… so giving up is all there is to do…

I suppose it’ll lead to more people like me crossing over to road, which is currently having a really positive effect on growing cycling participation overall, which is fantastic. Not sure that’s the objective of the MTB industry though…

As a market growth strategy it’s pretty stupid and smacks of desperation.

Superficial
    Free Member

Whilst I sort of agree about the choice thing, it’s like saying your carbon 29er hardtail is versatile because you could put 26″ wheels with massive tyres on. Of course, no one does this because it’d be a compromised waste. If you make a bike and tune the geometry / suspension for 27+ it’ll ride all wrong with 29er wheels and skinny tyres.

If you want a bike with big squidgy 27+ tyres then these new things are fine. But selling them as a versatile bike which can handle any wheel size is just misleading IMO.

The frustrating thing is that the industry doesn’t seem to cater for the majority of riders in the UK. Or at least what I perceive the majority of enthusiasts want. We don’t spend £4k on a bike, use it for a year and sell it on before buying something new – like you would a car for example. Perhaps people do that in other sales territories. There’s much more of a culture of upgrades and swapping parts. I don’t know whether this is just a UK thing and the bike industry doesn’t really care about us or what. But I despair with all of these new standards.

mikeep
    Free Member

The ideal bike for trail center strava heros.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hugo and a trailblazer on my lapierre 514 and the late braking is great. Just tried them in an FF29 but only the scraper rims work. Now hunting for a compatible frame for a Hugo rim.. Anyone fitted a Hugo/trailblazer into anything?

Junkyard
    Free Member

clicked on link stopped at this

Go for Plus and find an entirely new riding experience”

As above the industry is just taking the piss as it has been doing for a few years. I dont want to spend 2 k every two years as there is nothing wrong with the ones I have
    I want to be able to buy [ high quality] spares for my 26 ” 9 speed non tapered bikes though
    Every year a completely new standard. Its getting daft.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

I’m inclined to agree.

Me 3[/quote]

This! I got fed up with all the new ‘standards’ I ditched the mtb, bought a road bike and ride that now!

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, but surely you do want Boost, JY 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Well, that’s not really a choice, as you know. If you love mountain biking and use it to keep physically and mentally healthy, it’s not a choice at all…
    If you, like most people in the UK, are a bit skint, buying a new bike is not an option… so giving up is all there is to do…

I don’t understand this. Can’t you just keep using the bike you already have? Or are there sentry points on the trails blocking your path if your bike doesn’t meet the shiny new standards?

jameso

giving up is all there is to do…

Rigid single-speeds aren’t that bad.

brooess
    Free Member

I don’t un5rstand this. Can’t you just keep using the bike you already have? Or are there sentry points on the trails blocking your path if your bike doesn’t meet the shiny new standards?

yes, of course I can. I still am.
    Until something wears out – tyres, forks, wheels. It’s a 26″ Soul with 1 1/8 forks and headset and spares are already getting hard to find.

Couple of years ago I wanted lower rise bars. No more 25.4mm anywhere so I had to buy used – a long way from ideal and you have to buy what you can get, not what you want.
    Tyres – currently running 2.25 Nobby Nics. Quick google search suggests when these wear out I’ll be struggling to replace them…

And, really importantly, it’s a premium bike, cost me premium prices. Usually when I buy a replacement bike I sell on the old one to help fund the new one. Who the hell’s going to buy this one in a year’s time if I’m struggling to get spares now? I can quite seriously see me having to take it to the dump… a premium bike that cost c£1800 to put together reduced to scrap metal… who wins here?

It’s a bit like London housing, game the market so only the super-rich can participate… until all the buyers walk away in despair and you have no more customers… seriously, as a marketing strategy this is massively flawed. UK consumers don’t have the ££ to spank like we have been for the last 15 years

ahwiles
    Free Member

edit: never mind, check this out:

bargain.

chestrockwell

Was not too bothered about the introduction of 650b but it’s all getting a bit daft now. Certainly won’t be buying new for a fair few years.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Either way, I was thinking about buying a new full suss but this has convinced me to keep my 26″ Soul for as long as I can until the industry stops messing about. In the meantime, I’m riding mainly road, in part cos I can keep riding the bike I have… don’t know about you but I don’t have £2k+ every two years to buy a new bike

I suppose it’ll lead to more people like me crossing over to road, which is currently having a really positive effect on growing cycling participation overall, which is fantastic. Not sure that’s the objective of the MTB industry though…

This! I got fed up with all the new ‘standards’ I ditched the mtb, bought a road bike and ride that now!

Worst
    Excuse
    Ever

My road bike won’t take a tapered fork of any description (1.25, 1.5, overdrive, anything).
    My road bike won’t take 27mm tyres (won’t take 25’s and raceblades either)
    My road bike only takes 10s cassettes
    My road bike can’t fit a power meter due to the carbon cranks.
    My road bike has gear cables that don’t go under the bar tape, and external cable routing on the frame.
    My road bike has round (ish) tubes, 19mm wide, 22mm deep rims. It’s a f***ing miracle I make any progress at all on anything other than a completely calm day.
    My road bike ………….etc

Now, none of that actually makes it appreciably slower. And neither does not having 650b+ make a bike worse. Either you buy a new 650b+ bike because for you it’s more fun/faster/whatever, or you buy a 29er, or a 650b, or whatever you like. OR you stick with what you have, it’s not suddenly gotten worse just because something else is now available.

All that’s happened is IF you want a new bike, there’s now a bit more choice.

IF you’ve suddenly been left behind on rides by someone on a new bike, it’s not because they have a new bike, it’s because you’re not pedalling hard enough. Stop hanging around with MAMILS at the café and get some miles in the legs. Ride up grades not upgrades.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The ideal bike for trail center strava heros.

What utter bollocks

dirtyrider
    Free Member

My road bike can’t fit a power meter due to the carbon cranks.

So does my mtb – but I just run mismatched arms xx1 drive side, x9 non

TheDoctor
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Worst
    Excuse
    Ever

My road bike won’t take a tapered fork of any description (1.25, 1.5, overdrive, anything).Enve still make std steerer forks, so thats irrelevant!
    My road bike won’t take 27mm tyres (won’t take 25’s and raceblades either)you CAN still get top end tyres for it though!
    My road bike only takes 10s cassettesNow youre just being silly, it will take 8,9,10 and yes even 11speed Cassettes
    My road bike can’t fit a power meter due to the carbon cranks.Powertap, 4iii
    My road bike has gear cables that don’t go under the bar tape, and external cable routing on the frame.maybe, but you can still REPLACE parts as they wear out
    My road bike has round (ish) tubes, 19mm wide, 22mm deep rims. It’s a f***ing miracle I make any progress at all on anything other than a completely calm day.my heart Bleeds for you 😉
    My road bike ………….etc

Worst
    missing
    the
    point
    On my road bike, I can still get top end supa dupa wheels, and the best tyres, if I snap my forks I can still get top end replacements! In fact I can get replacements for all of it should I require them.

Try doing that for an mtb over a couple of years old!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So does my mtb – but I just run mismatched arms xx1 drive side, x9 non

It’s an FSA chainset, I’m trying to avoid replacing the BB and eek out another few hundred miles as they’ve got so many variables even within their normal BSA/24mm BB systems! At the last count I think there were 5 options that all look like a shimano HT2 BB unless you get a micrometer out. Let alone trying to match it to another crank arm. Anyway, it was a joke at the idea that road bikes don’t suffer from the same level of product development / upgrade-it is / obsolescence as MTB’s, and that it really matters when you’re riding.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On my road bike, I can still get top end supa dupa wheels, and the best tyres, if I snap my forks I can still get top end replacements! In fact I can get replacements for all of it should I require them.

Try doing that for an mtb over a couple of years old!

Now, this was really hard work, I think I deserve a finders fee. 😛

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sid+26%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=i-WCVcdT8arzB4HMgZgG&gws_rd=ssl#q=sid+26%22&tbm=shop

wors

No 150mm forks on there.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Now, this was really hard work, I think I deserve a finders fee.

Applause, maybe given they seem to be last years model or used 😆

oh and as far as the obsolete road thing goes, one of my road bikes is a mid 90s Merckx, All modern groupsets and wheels still fit just fine!

packer
    Free Member

Some people would actually give up mountain biking completely because a new wheel/tyre size became available… really?? LOL

brooess
    Free Member

Applause, maybe given they seem to be last years model or used

oh and as far as the obsolete road thing goes, one of my road bikes is a mid 90s Merckx, All modern groupsets and wheels still fit just fine!

+1 – my summer bike is 6 years old in November. Have upgraded bars, stem, wheels + put a new chain on since I bought it and if anything breaks or wears out it could be replaced with the same.

Road is trying to go through a similar process of forced upgrades – discs, electronic shifting, 25mm tyres but culturally, road is far more conservative and mired in heritage so hardly anyone’s changing. Just a few noobs who’re carrying their consumerism through from other parts of their lives 😯

brooess
    Free Member

Some people would actually give up mountain biking completely because a new wheel/tyre size became available… really?? LOL

I effectively have – I hardly ride MTB these days cos it’s much cheaper generally to ride road.

And if I can’t get replacement 26″ tyres when these ones wear out and I don’t have £2k to spank on a new bike… what happens then?

You do realise I’m just illustrating scenarios here don’t you – to show how such a strategy is doomed to failure… if I was riding MTB every weekend like I used to, I’d find the ££. But you should remember not everyone’s that wealthy anymore…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Scott going all 27.5+’ is closed to new replies.