Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Scott Genius MC20 2005 – Any views?
  • GrahamGT4
    Free Member

Hi,
    A Scott Genius has come up for sale through a friend,I don't know much about them,can't find much on the net, so thought I'd ask you guys. Anyone had experience of one? What use are them best designed for? how reliable are they? how expensive to maintain? whats the rear shock like? Noticed its right in the line of fire from the rear tyre!

Any info appricaited.

tinsy
    Free Member

Its a 5 inch travel lightweight XC bike, ride it see if you like it, I beleive it came with dual control levers, theyre a bit marmite, as is the bike itself.. I found it very tall, kind of a bike you sat perched on rather than part of.

Its a Scott own brand shock and it works back to front, ie its a pull action rather than compression, but the good news is they are more reliable than you would think given the position. Not sure where you would get it sorted in the event of trouble though so maybe worth finding that out before you spend your cash.

BigJohn

They're a remarkably competent bike. I know the rear shock can be a nuisance if it misbehaves but Scott mechanics usually have a way of fettling them (its to do with the positive and negative air chambers and needing to empty/fill them in the right sequence). As it's a pull shock, the dirt doesn't seem to hurt it much.

The main thing to check is if it fits you. They were a bit on the short side so most come with very long stems, which slows the steering a lot.

A friend has one and he uses it for everything. Singletrack, Peaks, CyB and even (when out with singlespeeders) sticking it into 32:16 and riding it like a singlespeed.

ScotlandTheScared

I liked mine. Very good on the climbs due to the fact you could lock out the rear travel (which simultaneously steepened the geometry too). Was a great marathon bike – fast and light. The genius model nowadays is similar looking. Try before you buy!

GrahamGT4
    Free Member

cheers for your thoughts guys, sounds like its got some great unique features, will defo give it a proper test ride before commiting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Scott Genius MC20 2005 – Any views?’ is closed to new replies.