Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scott CR1 comp (2012) q
  • meandyuk

Hi all,

I’ve got this bike, which has a tiagra groupset and to be honest i’ve been a little disappointed with it… the bike feels a bit dead even compared to my old alloy trek road bike… it’s pretty light (8.3kg) but it doesn’t accelerate all that great (the wheels are alex something or other) and the whole bike in general seems to be build for cruising.

My question is, do I sell this bike and buy a new one or upgrade the groupset and wheels in the hope that it will transform it… do you think it will make much of a difference if I do this, i’m looking at ultegra + fulcrum wheels.

Cheers
    Andy

crikey
    Free Member

What other bikes have you had to compare it to?

Sounds like you just wanna new bike and are looking to justify it…

meandyuk

I have had a trek 1400 alloy framed bike. This is my first carbon one. I’m happy to upgrade it, but I just want to know if it will make it much different really..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plop_pants
    Free Member

My CR1 is my race bike. Mine feels as quick as anything else I’ve ridden, including top end Pinarellos, Colnagos etc.
    Try some nice light wheels in it and see how it then feels.

crikey
    Free Member

The dead feeling is what happens when you ride some carbon bikes; the frame tends to iron out a little bit of the road buzz which makes it seem less lively.

Buy some high end race tyres, pump ’em up properly and you’ll be back to being buzzed as you ride.

mildred

My CR1 is my race bike. Mine feels as quick as anything else I’ve ridden, including top end Pinarellos, Colnagos etc.
    Try some nice light wheels in it and see how it then feels.

The newer CR1’s have very different geometry to the original, which was very much race orientated. Mine is a 2010 which, I think is the last of the race frames, whereas newer ones are sportive orientated (and hell of a lot more comfy..!)

cinnamon_girl

I would say that carbon can feel a little sluggish when getting up to speed. I’ve got the CR1 Pro with Ultegra and Ksyrium wheels, did change the tyres though.

How is the fit?

It’s a lovely bike. 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

I have the Scott CR1 Team 2011. I like the geometry and it certainly feels racey enough. If you compare it to the Foil it has a marginally longer head-tube and longer top-tube.

meandyuk

Thanks. Yeah I think a better set of wheels might be the first upgrade, the alex ones are pretty heavy I think. The fit is ok, perhaps a bit stretched out as it has a 110mm stem so I think i’m going to try a 90mm one. There are a shed load of spacers on the headset which I may try to lose too.

I think i’m going to stick with it, looking at the frame, it seems to be the same frame used thoughout the range, including some pretty expensive models so it must be decent. (I bought this bike quite last minute for an event! not ideal)

BearBack
    Free Member

I just renewed my 2006 Cr1 team with a 2013 Cr1 team.
    The bike feels heavier and more sluggish than the old one.. but I’m much less fit too.

I put it down to the Shimano wheelset that seem to be a real pig compared to the Mavic Ksyrium equips that were on the old one.

Wheels will be my first upgrade too.. once mtb season is out of the way 😉
    Ride is very nice though once the wheels are up to speed 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 on getting some half-decent wheels

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’ll be the wheels. I test rode a current CR1 albeit the Top o range Dura Ace one with Dura Ace CL24 wheels, it flew! I do a lot of racing and have ridden my share of top end carbon road race bikes and this was as fast as most.

The CR1 does however damp the road fairly effectively making it seem slower, but not actually against the watch. The Scott Rep in the North actually has a CR1 as his personal bike despite having the pick of the range, he’s a Time Trialist by choice so wouldn’t use a slow bike!

Get your position sorted so it’s comfy. People seem to think that road race bikes have to be low as a worms belly and stretched to hell, the best position is one that doesn’t cripple you but allows you to get good power out, comfy isn’t always sat bolt upright either, my back kills if I raise the stem too far!

Then try some new wheels if budget allows, no need to go crazy. open pro on some reasonable hubs with a good build will be much better than loads spent on factory built fancy pants wheels. Do save budget for good tyres and tubes though. I use Schwalbe Ultremo ZX personally, 25’s if you can find them as the roll better and are faster than 23’s, not that expensive if you shop around, fast tyres that grip well.

Enjoy!

cinnamon_girl

25’s won’t fit on mine – I’ve tried the Grand Prix’s!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scott CR1 comp (2012) q’ is closed to new replies.