Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scotland West Coast route ideas??
  • scud
    Free Member

Myself and some friends will be travelling up to Scotland mid June for a weeks riding (we wanted to make sure we got the midgies), a few of us have ridden and hiked round the Cairngorms and Nevis area, but thought about riding the West Coast and some of the islands, a combination of camping in campsites and wild camping.

I have the Wild Trails MTB guides and an old Cicerone Hebrides book, but wondered if the STW hive mind had some good multi-day routes or some ideas as to trails or sites that we “must” include??

welshfarmer

I managed to pull some tracks off Google Earth as used by Hannah Barnes on a video diary of a West Coast trip. The Falls of Glomach and the route through to Torridon look to have been the highlights. I can send over gpx files if you want

scud
    Free Member

Welshfarmer that would be great please mate.

pauljwhitlock@gmail.com

Thanks

bajsyckel

Has the potential for a great trip. The most obvious west coast/ island combination at that time of year would be the well-known Skye and Torridon routes (which are great and could be linked easily, but maybe not everyone’s cup of tea fully laden). One thing to consider if you want both mainland and islands the trick is how you can maximise good riding and minimise time spent on ferries or main roads (i.e. the A87). You will have long days though so if you’re able to make the most of them could do some pretty decent loops.

Not being very helpful here, but any useful advice really depends on the type of tracks you want to use, the gear you intend to take, the amount of carrying you’re happy to endure, the distance you are willing to travel (and what you’re willing to do on the road), whether it need to be a loop or can be linear…etc… Do you have any ideas or examples of what your ideal “must do” day rides might be, or a rough area? The west coast is pretty long and there area a lot of islands. With a few ideas it might be easier to offer suggestions as there are an absurd amount of possibilities.

mrhoppy

I’ve planned a route for Easter from Bealach an Sgairne down Gleann Choinneachain, 8km dropping 500m and geograph appears to show it as narrow flowey singletrack the whole way down to Morvich. If it’s as good as it looks like it could be I’ll be raving about it on here, if it’s not I’ll be knackered & sulking. Potential to link it in to Glen Affric stopping in the Camban bothy.

kcal

mrhoppy – I can’t now recall what it’d be like for biking — only ever walked down it, should ‘go’ mostly but maybe some hike involved (and river crossings)..

How you going to get there? Bike through Affric? Good luck!

scud
    Free Member

Bajsyckel – i think we’d be looking to do around 30 mile days, either one long trip or based somewhere and do some good loops with a couple of nights out wild camping,all 3 of us are new fat bike owners,so wanted to maybe get some coast riding in as well as regulat riding, mostly want to just get some great scenery and some great riding in and it would be nice to see some of the islands too (having kayaked around there as a younger man)

mrhoppy

Kcal, good to get some real info as opposed to 3rd hand photos. Looking to go up the glen to the south, past Camban bothy into the head of Glen Affric, then head up to Bealach with the expectation of some hike a bike before dropping down the descent, 30 ish km I think but expect it to be a long day out.

bajsyckel

Assuming you’re driving, given the fatbike/coastal thing, low daily mileage and desire for islands, I’d say go for a few nights trip to the outer Hebrides. Add in a little riding on Skye either side of the ferry timetables, and some easily accessed day rides on the mainland on your way there and back and you’re onto a winner. Of fthe top of my head something like….

Drive north (assuming you’re from the south). Potential for a few hours riding accessed from Fort William, Kinlochleven and Glencoe areas. Continuing north the area around Morar and Arisaig has a load of (busy but nice) beaches and a good wee ride inland from the road by Morar. Loads of commercial campsites on the mainland here, roadside camping on Skye if you end up that far.

On Skye, aim for a ferry from Uig to Lochmaddy. Driving across Skye you’ll pass the start of the track through Glen Sligachan for a half day out-and-back OR ride a quick loop of the Quiraing in a couple of hours before getting the ferry. For the Outer Hebrides, leave everything but fatbikes in Uig.

Ride as much of the west coasts of South Uist, Benbecula and North Uist as you can. Beach after beach after beach, wild camping almost everywhere as long as you are sensible (i.e. avoid croft land that is being actively worked unless you ask permission, don’t mess up the machair or the dunes – as a kayaker you probably know this bit anyway).You can also take the boat over to Harris and ride out to the beaches on the west coast, taking in the great little rocky loop around Tarbert/ Reinigedal (after the endless beaches this is a good change). Then take the ferry from Tarbert or Lochmaddy back to Uig.

On Skye, pick up the car, ride either one of the tracks suggested earlier (Raasay is a little gem if you want another island and the boat is quick, but I’d pass over it this time round as you only have a week). Drive back to the mainland over the bridge, head north either through Applecross (classic road climb, beaches, pub) or directly to Torridon and squeeze in a quick ride in the evening (up to one of the bealachs and back). Torridon has a good bar and campsite.

From Torridon do a day ride to Achnashellach and back via Coulags to Annat. If you have a long way to drive the next day, consider driving part way after you finish.

On the last day, depending on how much time you have then squeeze in a ride somewhere on the way home…

If for whatever reason the Outer Hebrides don’t appeal then I’d suggest doing the rest but with a bit more time in the places you enjoy, maybe heading a little further north too, to Ullapool and beyond if you’re in search of beaches. And stopping off for good riding on the way home.

@mrhoppy, IIRC the track you talk about is fine through from Affric. Obviously not a walk in the park, but never soul-destroying. I haven’t used the track in from the south that you refer to but again, think it should be OK from seeing either end. Be interested as to how it compares though, so post up a report when you’re done.

mrhoppy

Cheers Bajsyckel,

Will get something up, the photos should be good even if the riding isn’t.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Bajsyckel, gives us lots of ideas mate, much appreciated.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Kcal, good to get some real info as opposed to 3rd hand photos

I generally prefer to let people explore and find out for themselves, but as you say you’re going anyway… If you go round Beinn Fhada anticlockwise, make sure you start the track at about 073198 at exactly the right place or instead of firm trail you’ll be in bog. Unless the recent trail building (Oct 2013)is all the way back there, it is indistinct.

vorlich
    Free Member

Did Sligachan today on the fatbike, it’s the perfect tool for the job (I didn’t do any Tarmac). Just check your pressures, I managed to ding a rim on a water bar.

Chew
    Free Member

I’ve planned a route for Easter from Bealach an Sgairne down Gleann Choinneachain, 8km dropping 500m and geograph appears to show it as narrow flowey singletrack the whole way down to Morvich. If it’s as good as it looks like it could be I’ll be raving about it on here, if it’s not I’ll be knackered & sulking. Potential to link it in to Glen Affric stopping in the Camban bothy.

It may be worth double checking….
    Last year we did a route that went from Cannish to Morvich via Camban. East of the Bothy is a great bike friendly double track. East of the Bothy is a 10km push/carry to the climbing hut.
    I’ve heard the track to the north is even worse.

robbieclay

Hey scud best riding on west coast around Torridon – well known Torridon-loch Claire-coulags-Annat route is superb and many other options there and nearby to keep you busy for a week. Turn this area into a multi day by joining applecross peninsula (kenmore to applecross) to Skye (sligachan-camasunary loop and the quirang) to Harris (loop north from tarbert) across Lewis to Stornoway ferry back to Ullapool then across Fisherfield to Kinlochewe. Easiest with a vehicle to support but possible in the week if you’ve got the legs and lungs for it. Or have a look on our website and join our trip in September 😉 http://www.wildbike.co.uk

justridemtb
    Free Member

Kintyre Way – there is a good video on the web of a bikepacking trip

welshfarmer

Sorry Paul, Just noted your reply on this thread. Somehow it fell off my radar. I will post those routes over to you now. (but knowing my memory I may have sent them and forgotten so apologise in advance if you now have them twice lol)

Mark

13thfloormonk

I’ve done some stuff in that area, if you check out this page on my blog

http://bigplansweecountry.blogspot.ca/2014/03/glenfinnan-to-cape-wrath-part-1-rough.html

There is a link to the map of my route from Glenfinnan to Cape Wrath, which passes some of the trails you’re talking about.

Glen Shiel to Falls of Glomach to Coulags to Annat would all go together quite nicely with the inevitable sections of pushing etc. You could then double back to Achnashellach train station via the famous descent or you could take the coastal track to Craigs Bothy, which would probably all go on a fat bike.

irc

I’ve done some stuff in that area, if you check out this page on my blog

Great blog! I hope there is more coming.

13thfloormonk

Thanks irc, feel free to spread the word, the only page views to date have been me and the spambots! 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Scotland West Coast route ideas??’ is closed to new replies.