Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Scotland visit- where's best.
  • jkomo

Brother and wife over from States. Where to book that’s most scotlandish, thinking Loch one side, mountain the other.
    Not too far up, near pub or town.
    Coming end of May.

joshvegas
    Free Member

West coast.

How about an island?

Arran is easy.

matt_outandabout

How long for?
    Any activities or pastimes you enjoy while you are here?

scotroutes

Glencoe / Ballachullish / Onich

Edit: unless they are in to Outlander, in which case Inverness for Loch Ness, Clava Cairns and Culloden (with a day trip to Rothiemurchus / Ardverickie if they want to see some of the outdoor sets.

Skye is also/always popular with American visitors.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cumbernauld, truly stunning.

scotroutes

And the home of the Outlander film set!!!!

jkomo

Monday to Friday, driving up from London.
    They’re used to long drives mind.
    Thanks for the suggestions, gives me a place to start googling.
    Keep em coming.

Mainly walking, but I’ll take a bike if I drive.

CraigW
    Free Member

Skye is quite nice. Has all of the Scottish stuff – lochs, mountains, castles, ferries etc. Usually seems to be popular with Americans. Sligachan is a nice pub. Plus some easyish lower level walks.
    Its long way to drive from London. The sleeper train to Inverness or Fort William would be nicer.

The-Beard

Loch Lomond ticks all the boxes. It’s easy to get to, plenty of pubs and the scenery is stunning. There’s Ben Lomond to go play on too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

thinking Loch one side, mountain the other.

[smug] That would be my house then 🙂 [/smug]

Have you/they ever been before? If not then as Scotroutes say Glencoe / Ballachulish etc. is as good a place to start as anywhere else, you can go up to Mallaig area for a nice bit of coast, down to Oban and across to Mull, plenty to do really.

scotroutes

If they only have five days and they’re driving to/from London in that time then they’re not actually going to have much enjoyable time in Scotland. It’s not distance so much as the meandering and busy nature of the roads. That would certainly put me off heading to Skye (which is a shame).

jkomo

The sleeper looks amazing!
    Agreed, driving takes too much of the holiday.
    I guess sleeper then hire car is the answer.
    Expensive though, but a real experience.
    I’ll check flights as well.
    Fly to Glasgow then drive to Loch Lomond an option.

Edit
    Yeah flights dirt cheap, what about Arran, that doesn’t look far from Gladgow, Is that nice?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Fly to Glasgow then drive to Loch Lomond an option.

Definitely – Loch Lomond is about 15-20 mins from GLA, Glencoe less than 2 hours, and that 2 hour drive is worth doing in it’s own right.

scotroutes

It’s lovely but then you are factoring in ferries too (time/cost)

Fly to Inverness, hire car, drive to Skye. Go via Loch Ness and Kintail, return via Applecross and Torridon.

You’ll thank me later.

jkomo

TGA and SR, thanks I’m googling now. Arran looks okay, but not amazing.

jkomo

Holy shit Glencoe looks incredible.

jkomo

Oh my god, Skye!

scotroutes

Yeah. This was the view from my van last weekend

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FQ26QR]P1030008[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think you might want more than five days 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

2 hrs in the car from Glasgow airport gets you here.

scotroutes

Aye, but it always rains in Glencoe.

Look…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/7U8YAM]Mim[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7U91pZ]A wee paddle[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ac2REz]2010-04-13 23-45-11[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

jkomo

You’re not wrong.
    Can’t imagine what it must be like to live near that.
    Makes me want to do a Regi Perrin and move up.

thegreatape
    Free Member

To be fair, it usually does. But the sunny days make up for it, and it’s impressive in a different way on those dark brooding days. I like it whatever the weather. Aviemore’s not too shabby either though 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Arran looks okay, but not amazing.

The thing about Arran is it’s sort-of a miniature version of Scotland – it has all the bits, just smaller and in one place.

onehundredthidiot

Perthshire, Pitlochry etc. Fits the bill, doable hills, scenery, lochs, easy to get to from Edinburgh. Twee tartan shops aimed at an American tourist, distilleries.

rickmeister

I’d thank scotroutes now… 5 days, don’t drive. Fly to Inverness as Colin said.

Scotland is bigger thank you think….

momo

scotroutes – Member
    It’s lovely but then you are factoring in ferries too (time/cost)

Fly to Inverness, hire car, drive to Skye. Go via Loch Ness and Kintail, return via Applecross and Torridon.

You’ll thank me later.

+ another, do this!

duckman

Yup,Scotroutes has closed the thread. Kintail hotel is a not bad stopping point as well. View over towards the Sisters,good food and local ale.

beagle
    Free Member

Second the area south of mallaig, around arisaig and camusdarrach. Beaches truly amazing, great ww2 history in the area in a cracking little museum in arisaig, with very interesting Special Operations Executive bits in there. Yanks would love that. Easy, short trip to Eigg (climb An sgurr?) or Muck to experience island life. Visit Glenfinnan on the way too – great history stuff in stunning location and see the steam train pass over the Harry Potter viaduct!

I think Torridon (with a trip to Skye, via Plockton) would be great too, but the first suggestion is pretty accessible. And watching the sun go down over the islands from that part of the world is breathtaking.

jkomo

Okay, so it’s looking like Inverness/ Skye/ Scotroutes trip.
    Is it worth splitting it into a couple of hotel/ bnb stops or heading straight to Skye and exploring from there?
    Also, if anyone has any ideas around accomodation. There will be six of us, and don’t really need posh.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What about the West Highland Retreat at Lochailort?

Particularly good if you are travelling light with hand luggage only. Just don’t put your scotch egg down on the sofa without a plate underneath it 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

The-Beard

Instead of barrelling straight to Skye across the bridge I’d suggest stopping here:

Glenelg Inn

Then getting the wee ferry over to Skye the next day from just up the road, it’s a nice spot to stop with good views of the island and the inn has a good atmosphere with live music and what not.

ChannelD

Giarloch beech or any where up the west coat of Scotland for stunning coast line and tropical looking beaches and clear blue water (the water IS cold). For mountain biking highly recommend trails at Bonar Bridge (OS map look for ariel mast north side of the A road)

gwaelod
    Free Member

Danny Mackaskills film The Ridge was shot on Skye. It’s a must watch if going that way. Skye is ace, but then so is most of scotland

gwaelod
    Free Member

Good shout re Glenelg Ferry. Sometimes see Otters running about there on the shore

scandal42
    Free Member

Bookmarking for pub recommendations

dragon
    Free Member

Surely if they are Yanks then Balmoral and Edinboro should be on the list. Oh and money to buy vast amounts of tartan.

NZCol

Lots of great spots – Black Isle is very lovely as well, Rosemarkie, Dornich, Golspie etc and you can whip inland for some mountains. Good pubs up there too 😉 Applecross peninsula and surrounds, Skye etc.
    As said, fly to Inversneckie and hire a vehicle, its not far to the good stuff from there. And buy some Smidge.

jkomo

They are yanks, live in NY and go upstate to the mountains often. They are very outdoorsey, and not very tartaney.
    Come to think of it, they see a lot of big mountains, but not a lot of rugged coastline, so we are on a winner here.

Smidge?
    Oh crap will it be full of midges?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Scotland visit- where's best.’ is closed to new replies.