• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scotland tourism advice
  • tekp2
    Free Member

It looks like I’m going to be working in Glasgow for much of this year. I’ve not really visited much of Scotland before other than the Edinburgh festival, so I’m really looking forward to some good weekend trips (with or without bikes). What does the hive mind recommend?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Stiring Castle, a distillery, Skye, Cairngorms

Trekster
    sbob
    Free Member

There are two places in Scotland; Glasgow and the rest of it. Stay out of the former and you can’t really go wrong. 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

Do the WHW by bike, South to North and then train it back on West Highland Railway.

Fort William worth a trip any time of the year.

Arrochar Alps are the closest Munros to Glasgow. Well worth a trip.

To much outdoor stuff to mention.

Just remember to take midge repellent and Gortex!

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Sbob – very helpful. Idiot
    There are hundreds of trails. Depends on your radius of travel. From 30 minutes to a couple of hours. Plenty of good books as well. Hook uo withe the local groups too.

Trekster

http://www.gmbc.org.uk

http://www.meetup.com/Mountainbikeglasgow/

You have probably heard people on here mention trail centres such as http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com 😉

As you can probably guess by now most people will advise you go North. Nothing wrong with that but the Borders and Dumfries & Galloway may also have something to interest you 💡

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve not really visited much of Scotland before other than the Edinburgh festival

OK, you’ve visited a small part of the 264 km2 that edinburgh occupies…that leaves around 78,000 km2 to explore.

What sort of things would you like to do/see and we can help narrow it down 🙂

If it was me, exploring for the first time, general areas I would visit:

West Higlands (Glencoe etc)
    North West Highlands (Assynt, Torridon, Sheildaig etc)
    Islands (Arran, Skye, Harris, Islay etc)
    Cairngorms
    Borders

fannybaws
    Free Member

Arran is good for a wee trip. with or without bike. take the train from central. the times usually match with the ferry.

onehundredthidiot

Area around fort William yes. The town itself, erm…..no.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Fort William worth a trip any time of the year.

Do you seriously think I was suggesting the OP drives north to visit the town? 🙄

tomd
    Free Member

Go riding around Glasgow? There’s some good stuff close to the city especially if it dries out. Road riding is also pretty good, plenty of quiet roads and hills to explore and a good train network to get further out.

DrJ

The good thing about Fort William is that it has dry places to drink tea and eat fish and chips. Which the surrounding area often doesn’t 🙁

sbob
    Free Member

collinstiffee – Member

Sbob – very helpful. Idiot
    There are hundreds of trails. Depends on your radius of travel. From 30 minutes to a couple of hours.

So in one fell swoop, you call me an idiot for making a light hearted joke, and then just paraphrase exactly what I wrote.
    Genius.

I love the Cairngorms and there is plenty to do in the area surrounding Aviemore; walking, biking, watersports et cetera.
    The islands and NW can be breathtakingly beautiful but I’ve always found the chance of rain increases the further West you travel.

I’ve often just picked a spot on a map that looked like it could be nice and driven there to have a look. I’ve never been disappointed. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scotland tourism advice’ is closed to new replies.