Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scotland touring help (again!)
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

planning easter trip and need to check part of our route, it's another coast to coast type affair but the first day finishes off road. I'm happy as far as the top of Glean Mor (Deanich Lodge) as google earth is high res to that point but wondered if anyone knew how rideable the section along Loch Vaich is?

Semi loaded tourer with wide tyres, don't mind a bit of singletrack.

route is on google maps but you'll need to search for 'http://www.mrmichaelwright.co.uk/Scotland%20Easter.kmz' as the forum destroys google map links

and first Day is Rogart station to Aultguish Inn

Ta

Mike

Gordymac
    Free Member

The track from Deanich lodge is old tarmac just like the section from Kildermorie down to Glen Calvie lodge, again you will be fine with your tourer.

Gordymac

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

great, thanks Gordy, looked fine on geograph as well.

just need to book the weather now, bets it's not as cheap as the train tickets (£33 Manchester to Rogart 🙂 )

Gordymac
    Free Member

Easter time is usually pretty good up here, there will probably still be snow up here this Easter though!

Gordymac

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, last year was terrible 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

has anybody stayed at the Rogart Station hostel?

geoffj

I haven't stayed at the hostel, but I have stayed at Sleeperzzz and can recommend it http://www.sleeperzzz.com/

but it's closed from Nov – Mar 🙁

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that's the one, looks quirky

we are ending at the Plockton station hostel so it's a bit of a railway theme 🙂

geoffj

Its pretty good – we stayed in May. Standard sleeper-type bunks although I'm lead to believe that one of the carriages / buses has a double bed option. They are friendly in that 'lived too far out in the country for too long' kind of way. We paid about £95 for 2 adults and 2 kids for 2 nights, so it isn't ridiculously cheap, but reasonable value.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ta, i've booked us in.

not booking any other accommodation until we've booked return rail tickets but there's some great independent hostels in Scotland

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scotland touring help (again!)’ is closed to new replies.