Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Scotland – on holiday – in a wheelchair
  • maccruiskeen

A young cousin of mine is planning a trip to scotland. He’s largely confined to a wheelchair but pretty handy with it and has recently started to race – so the option to put in some distance outdoors would be good. He’s asked me for some tips of places and things to see and do but I’ve never really had wheelchair use as a consideration. Aside from the cities where might make a good base to stay and explore?

My first thought is Aviemore – having train links to arrive by and also travel out by – and Rothiemurchus and the Funicular give some pretty decent countryside access.

Any other ideas?

scotroutes

It’s the obvious choice, with probably the most suitable and extensive path network. There are tracks around Inshriach that the dog-sled teams use too.

big_scot_nanny

The other place that springs to mind besides Aviemore and locale, is Aberfoyle.

Now, I caveat this with my experience being that this is the wettest place outside of a tropical rainforest, but my recollections are that it is pretty geared up for ease of access to the beauty of the surroundings.

Crieff also springs to mind, but the town itself is on a bugger of a hill, so that might make things a bit tricky.

HTH,
    Kev

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

Good point – Aberfoyle gives good options for a mix of city and countryside too

There are tracks around Inshriach that the dog-sled teams use too.

Nice – didn’t know that. Close to the cake too!

scotroutes

Let me know if it’s likely to be around here. I’ll put some suggested routes together and see if there’s any other way I can help out too.

Also in the area:
    Glens Feshie and Tromie have quiet tarmaced dead-ends.
    Garva Bridge to the bothy at Meall Garbh.
    Round the back of Loch Laggan at Ardverickie.

Other thoughts – canal towpaths might be useful. I’m thinking Fort William/Fort Augustus. Don’t know how much of Lianachan forest is also easily accessible.

maccruiskeen

Cheers. Early days yet but take you up on that

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Scotland – on holiday – in a wheelchair’ is closed to new replies.