• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,601 through 3,640 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • DrJ

DrJ those sort of incidents occurr all over Europe.

Ah well, that’s ok then – best not to try to do anything to reduce the hate speech.

T1000
    Free Member

Ninafan your wrong, there is a democratic deficit the average Scottish voter has more power in Westminster than any other part of the Uk

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrJ buring down refugee hostels, setting fire to people ? As I posted on the EU thread support in Europe for posters like the one above and the truck are far higher, France, Holland, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia ….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gordimhor

What price for a Spanish veto now ?
    Spain drops veto threat

DrJ

DrJ buring down refugee hostels, setting fire to people ?

What has that got to do with anything? Are you suggesting that we ramp up the hatred until we reach the level of the worst in Europe?

ninfan
    Free Member

What price for a Spanish veto now

I was hoping that we could swap permanent sovereignty of Scotland for keeping Gibraltar.

Would good deal for the Spanish, their fishermen would love it,

gordimhor

I am sure they would Ninfan. Doesn’t look good for the Gibraltarians though. UK government doesn’t want to represent them and the EU just washed its hands of the whole situation. Which leaves Spain.
    Spain offered a veto over Gibraltar

rene59
    Free Member

Scotland to join Canada?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39510351

OK, it will never happen but it’s an interesting idea.

tjagain

A lot of pro iScotland remaining in the EU noises this week but not discussed on here?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A lot of pro iScotland remaining in the EU noises this week but not discussed on here?

I think we’ve finally reached peak politics, no one can be arsed any more.

That, and the wee poisonous fella has been banned.

tjagain

which wee poisonous fella?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

THM.

tjagain

Ah – thought I had not seen him for a bit.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Why did he get banned? Never seemed troll-y or abusive

scotroutes

yourguitarhero – Member

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

piemonster

I think we’ve finally reached peak politics, no one can be arsed any more.

Personally I’m treating everything between now and when we know with some degree of certainty what the Brexit deal will be as complete whattaboutery bullshit spouted for reasons of politics. And that’s from all parties, the EU, Scot Indy, Pro Union, Brexiteers, Remainers. The **** lot!

Until then, meh.

piemonster

😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Personally I’m treating everything between now and when we know with some degree of certainty what the Brexit deal will be as complete whattaboutery bullshit spouted for reasons of politics. And that’s from all parties, the EU, Scot Indy, Pro Union, Brexiteers, Remainers. The **** lot!

Aye, I’d second that.

BruceWee

Independence by Christmas?

epicyclo

BruceWee – Member
    Independence by Christmas?

If the SNP don’t make independence their rallying cry for this election, they’re mad.

Northwind

Interesting times… The SNP are going to tank the GE on a platform of “there must be a referendum”, there’ll be no more credible talk of “scotland doesn’t want it”. I figure they’ll lose a few seats so there’ll be some silliness about them being “in decline” while still having a crushing majority but that’ll be the limit of it. If they take less than 3/4s of the seats I’ll be amazed.

And realistically the Tories are going to win nationally, without some massive upsets. Will Westminster Tories be able to resist Scotland-bashing in this election? I doubt it, they shouldn’t need to but they enjoyed it too much last time.

kimbers

But I thought now wasnt the time for another vote

😉

grumpysculler
    Free Member

“A vote for the SNP is not a vote for independence.”

Will we see that line again?

I predict that the SNP will lose a small number of seats and Labour will crumble. I also predicted Clinton would win and we would vote against Brexit.

I sometimes just wish politicians (of all colours) would just eff off for a while and leave the country alone. We had major votes in 14, 15, 16 and now 17 as well.

scotroutes

[quote]“Every vote for the Conservatives SNP will make it harder for opposition politicians who want to stop me from getting the job done.
    “Every vote for the ConservativesSNP will make me stronger when I negotiate for BritainScotland with the prime ministers, presidents and chancellors of the European UnionUnited Kingdom.
    “Every vote for the ConservativesSNP means we can stick to our plan for a stronger BritainScotland and take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future.[/quote]

mt
    Free Member

If I were Labour I’d be offering another Indy Ref for a labour vote in Scotland

BruceWee

Make it clear in the election manifesto that an SNP majority will result in a Unilateral Declaration of Independence. This GE is EUref2 so why not make it IndyRef2 while we’re at it.

scotroutes

Romantic but impractical.

The overlaps between the EU/anti-EU, SNP/others and Indy/UK are not clear cut and the SNP don’t have the time now to build the case they thought they had 18 months for.

Even if it happened, it’s not clear that UDI would be enough for the pro-Scot politicians in the EU who’ve said they’re in favour of iScotland in the EU as long as it’s an amicable split from the rUK.

Northwind

“Scottish people don’t want another referendum” Er, only 32% of British people want a general election, but that’s not important right now.

mt – Member

If I were Labour I’d be offering another Indy Ref for a labour vote in Scotland

Might win them a couple of seats in Scotland but would probably damage them in England. And frankly right now, who believes that’s going to be in Labour’s power to give?

It’d probably lead to more of this, though, which the SNP would love

scotroutes

Guaranteed Tory govt at Westminster until at least 2022.
    Even harder Brexit with “mandate” to slaughter any opposition.
    Repatriation of devolved powers to Westminster.
    Whatever other right-wing dogma the Tories will implement given a potentially larger majority.

Would even that be enough to sway enough Indy waiverers?

BruceWee

Romantic but impractical.

The overlaps between the EU/anti-EU, SNP/others and Indy/UK are not clear cut and the SNP don’t have the time now to build the case they thought they had 18 months for.

Even if it happened, it’s not clear that UDI would be enough for the pro-Scot politicians in the EU who’ve said they’re in favour of iScotland in the EU as long as it’s an amicable split from the rUK.

I think it’s the only way for Scotland to get out of this mess. In Scotland this is going to be a ballot on whether to hold a referendum or not. Let’s just get it over with and skip the in-between step.

I don’t think that international recognition will be a problem. A referendum is actually not the usual way a country gains independence. Recognition by the UN is all that matters.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Will Westminster Tories be able to resist Scotland-bashing in this election? I doubt it, they shouldn’t need to but they enjoyed it too much last time.

I don’t think they will, they will want Ruth D and the party to make some gains up there, the big question she decides to stand for Westminister seat, as a potential future Scottish Secretary (all be it a major gamble)she could be the alternative to expose the SNP’s virtue signalling and lack of policy implementation whilst making real changes herself

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Guaranteed Tory govt at Westminster until at least 2022.
    Even harder Brexit with “mandate” to slaughter any opposition.

large majorities create their own opposition, the party has torn itself apart in the past when equipped with a large majority

scotroutes

Vote more Tories for an effective opposition to the Tory Govt?

Aye, Right.

Have you been on the champers already this morning?

Northwind

BruceWee – Member

I don’t think that international recognition will be a problem. A referendum is actually not the usual way a country gains independence. Recognition by the UN is all that matters.

Don’t agree, it’s all about the EU and we’d want them to be as happy as the can possibly be with the starting point.

That aside, there’s just not time to make this election about UDI even if it was an obviously good idea. They’d lose.

epicyclo

big_n_daft – Member
    I don’t think they will, they will want Ruth D and the party to make some gains up there, the big question she decides to stand for Westminister seat, as a potential future Scottish Secretary (all be it a major gamble)she could be the alternative to expose the SNP’s virtue signalling and lack of policy implementation whilst making real changes herself

The reality is she is astoundingly unpopular.

There was a bodgy poll which was used to big her up, but it was so bodgy only frothing yoons believed it.

The more recent Ashcroft poll shows her real position, and she’s even less popular than Thatcher at her worst.

Northwind

There was an Ashcroft poll which showed Davidson more popular than Sturgeon- but it was a national poll not a Scotland poll. Of course lots of people forgot to mention that when reporting on it.

I think Davidson the person is actually pretty popular. But Davidson the leader of the Conservative party in Scotland is not. And that’s been cutting her badly just lately.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Have you been on the champers already this morning?

LOL

When was the last bit of legislation passed by the Scottish Parliament?

Why haven’t they used the devolved powers to change the new changes to benefits?

Etc, etc

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The reality is she is astoundingly unpopular.

I think that Scottish politics is so polarised that the “antis” are noisy whoever is looked at

mt
    Free Member

“Repatriation of devolved powers to Westminster”

Nope that’ll not happen.

Northwind

big_n_daft – Member

When was the last bit of legislation passed by the Scottish Parliament?

February. Received royal assent a couple of weeks ago.

Here’s a nice graphic for you- 2016 was the busiest legislative year in Scottish parliamentary history. Of course, most of that fell into the first half of the year, but that’s because there was an election in May and you plan your legislature by session. The first months of a session are the quietest, when it’s the same party in power (when there’s a change of power the new party usually has a shopping list) but still, there’s 9 bills in progress.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp

Viewing 40 posts - 3,601 through 3,640 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.