• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Nats. **** idiots. Away and paint your face with some woad and watch Braveheart again, the rest of us are busy.

What I don’t get is why so many Unionists are so angry. I mean some independence supporters are – the Scottish Resistance bloke springs to mind – but frothing-at-the-mouth sweary hatred is really a Unionist thing, why is that?

It’s the kind of visceral hatred most normal people reserve for the Tories 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, so now you’re aligning yourself with the Brexiteers. Well done.

epicyclo

aracer – Member
    Ah, so now you’re aligning yourself with the Brexiteers. Well done.

I respect their right to take their country out of the EU.

But no, I am not aligning with them, I want my country to stay in (for now).

aracer
    Free Member

Despite it being a clearly rubbish thing to do, that most of the people voting to do so haven’t got a clue what they were voting for and were doing so on the basis of lies and that it won’t even achieve the results they were hoping for? You’re suggesting it’s like Scottish Independence?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Please explain your opposition to freedom? You North Korean?

?

When I said this:

Fingers crossed for you there’s some joined up thinking going on…..otherwise you’re on a wing & a prayer with the rest of us….

I await your apology..

km79
    Free Member

Good to see the same old sneering jibes getting thrown around. Deep fried this, tartan that, face painting freedom chasers etc etc. Strange that the same people struggle to understand why so many want to break ties with them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The schools falling down is nowt to do with the SNP

…indeed nothing ever is, its time someone blamed Fatcha instead. Duckie only mentioned her in passing.

Why do those stereotypes exist km?

km79
    Free Member

Why do those stereotypes exist km?

I don’t know, is it because it’s a part of the psyche of the English to make sneering jibes about other Nationalities?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh I see. Thank you for clearing that up.

Was the national generalisation about people making national generalisational intentional or something that all Scots do

(pun intended BTW)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Good to see the same old sneering jibes getting thrown around. Deep fried this, tartan that, face painting freedom chasers etc etc. Strange that the same people struggle to understand why so many want to break ties with them.

You’re not very good at taking a joke are you?

Quiet frankly – be on your way. I care not one jot whether Scotland stays or goes. I think you’ll be FUBARED unfortunately..

km79
    Free Member

You’re not very good at taking a joke are you?

Jokes are supposed to be funny, and when you hear the same ones everyday, multiple times a day at someone else’s expense they cease to be jokes.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Jokes are supposed to be funny, and when you hear the same ones everyday, multiple times a day at someone else’s expense they cease to be jokes.

Grow a thicker skin – I still think it’s funny!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

And Englishmen, Irishmen and Weslmen (the last two do exist BTW) walked into a bar..

aracer
    Free Member

so far as I can work out, this is where “deep fried” was introduced to this thread (at least recently):

…he seems to be on your side though (I’d suggest he had a SoH, but it seems that might go down the wrong way)

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aye, but it’s nae joke I tell yee 😉

gordimhor

The schools were built under Jack McConnell’s Labour administration. Using PFI. Building standards should have been overseen by the relevant local authorities.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-26834110
    No one comes out of this with any credit

dragon
    Free Member

Ok, you got me – we’ll continue to send the whisky*, irn-bru, deep fried chocolate bars

Whisky maybe, but virtually no one down south wants irun-bru or deep fried anything. S

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I disagree dragon. Deep fried haddock from Fife takes some beating (although that probably has more to do with the freshness of the fish 😉 )

duckman

Stop it the pair of you, I’m getting hungry and drouthy.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m thinking whitebait THM – the only thing I’ve ever used a deep fat frier for.

epicyclo

aracer – Member
    ‘I respect their right to take their country out of the EU.’
    Despite it being a clearly rubbish thing to do, that most of the people voting to do so haven’t got a clue what they were voting for and were doing so on the basis of lies and that it won’t even achieve the results they were hoping for? You’re suggesting it’s like Scottish Independence?

No it’s not like Scottish independence.

With independence we get rid of the hugely undemocratic burden of the British state. You poor folk in England will still have it.

There is something deeply wrong with a system of govt that allows a reduction in the number of elected representatives to “save money” while actively increasing the number of unelected members of the govt, ie House of Lords.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

@tjagain “As for that 15 billion – its less than that ‘cos of accounting nonsense”

The 14.8 billion is from the GERS figure published by the Scottish Government (not “westmonster” or whatever).

If you want to argue that the figures are manipulated in any significant way to make the scottish economy look bad (and independence economically unviable) you should probably take it up with the Scottish Government statisticians who produce them.

If I seem to be emphasising that the figures are produced by the Scottish Government under the authority of Nicola Sturgeon, then you can assume its deliberate.

The emphasis seems justified because its a fact that seems to get lost in the discussion (particularly by people like Wings over Scotland, Alex Salmond, Pete Wishart and various other SNP MSPs/MPs)

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it was all about Freedom – just like Scottish Independence. At least that was what you were claiming earlier.

I’m not going to defend increasing the size of the HoL, but it’s irrelevant to democracy – or do you think there is some sort of vote off between the HoC and the HoL and the HoL will have more power because it has more members?

mcj78
    Free Member

airtragic
    Ah, the return of the whisky tax myth…

Grievance-mongering 101

Looked at that, it seems to be drowning in the semantics of export tax v excise tax, where it’s collected & by whom… however, in the comments section there’s a handy link to a Scotch Whisky Association breakdown of total “tax” on whisky *edit, link no working*

According to that, the total tax paid on the price of a bottle of scotch whisky is 76% – if that’s correct, you appear to be suggesting Scotland receives 76% of the revenue from all whisky produced in Scotland, or am i misunderstanding?

On the matter of deep fried items – the best chippy (as anyone in the know will attest), is this fine establishment:

Deep fried pizza suppers etc. i’m not too au fait with these days, although there was a place in Glasgow that offered a large pork sausage wrapped in kebab meat, dipped in batter & deep fried – it had a rather rude name as I recall 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

(Deep fried) Haggis supper was a staple late evening antidote to too many pints of 80/- in my youth 😉

mcj78
    Free Member

A haggis supper flight we call that now, upmarket rebrand 😉

aracer
    Free Member

You still appear to be getting confused between export tax and excise tax – which is what that article is trying to explain (and no, it’s not semantics when one of those doesn’t exist). I presume the total tax paid on the price of a bottle of Bourbon is also 70-80% and none of that is sent to the US, none of the tax paid on a bottle of Vodka is sent to Russia, etc. Excise duty is a sales tax, collected in the country of consumption and part of the revenue of the country of sale. Whisky is “exported” from Scotland to England without any taxes being paid.

mcj78
    Free Member

I’m in the wrong game – off to set up a tax-free microdistillery re-branding 40% ethanol as gin, later losers!

8)

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Whisky is taxed that much – vat and duty. Both are at the point of consumption so nothing is received for exports.

Under the GERS methodology, sales in E&W are allocated tax in E&W because that’s where the liability arises. Only whisky purchased in Scotland has vat and duty accrued in Scotland because that’s how tax works.

An undrinkable £10 bottle of whisky includes something around £7.50 vat and duty which goes straight to the government. Similar story for other alcoholic products and petrol/diesel – only at the point of purchase by a consumer does tax become payable.

You could choose to tax exports, but that’s generally quite a bad idea because economics. The main export tax is VAT and that’s a mechanism to let the exporter claim back the vat they have already paid.

tjagain

Going back to the schools point – this is typical in that it is nothing to do with the SNP – Labour / lib dems in Holyrood and on CEC. there is plenty of things to beat the SNP with youwould think – so why so often do the SNPs critics do this – try to blame the SNP for things beyond their control?

duckman

Bloody Embra trams!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Poor SNP = victims and scapegoats. Sounds like karma in action to me.

tjagain

indeed Duckman – again nowt to do with the SNP.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They cleverly rebrand PFI as NPD and fool the gullible into thinking they are doing anything difference. It must be great being a Scottish politician – you can get away with murder!!

tjagain

Is THM still answering my posts? I don’t see them THM.

It really amuses me this tho – that people blame the SNP for things completely outwith their control / that happened before they came to power but miss the open goals of the SNP mistakes.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You seem to be in a conversation with him anyway. Is this a Fight Club thing?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is THM still answering my posts?

No – just being entertained by them. Its a close run thing with Jambas. High score draw at the moment.

tjagain

not really 5th. He may be answering me, I do not see his posts. At best its an illdirected monologue

Junkyard
    Free Member

THM I assume its a mere coincidence that he mentioned the SNP – and no one else has on this page- and you replied two post later mentioning the SNP and someone thought you were responding to him
    No wonder so many of us were confused into thinking you wer replying to him.

Serendipity does throw up such unusual events and glad you have clarified it for us as its well established you dont lie on here at all. Given you are not responding this confusion will clearly never ever happen again which will be a relief to all concerned and the mods in particular.
    We are lucky you are so honest and upfront about what you do as it shall end the confusion now.

bigjim

Is this a Fight Club thing?

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.