• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • yacoby
    Free Member

Scotland staying in the EU? Sounds a plan. That way I can still buy cheap bike stuff from Germany.

bencooper
    Free Member

Please God let the Scots go, they can have their independence, Westminster can stop subsidizing the country and Scotland can become Europe’s problem instead.

Yup, that’d be great – then you can find out it’s us that’s been subsidising you not the other way around. And good luck finding somewhere for the nuclear submarines you can no longer afford 😉

dmorts

Previously, the EU said they couldn’t speak to the Scottish Govt

That might not change, where’s the motivation for a change from an EU/Brussels point of view?

bencooper
    Free Member

That might not change, where’s the motivation for a change from an EU/Brussels point of view?

The pragmatic one of trying to salvage something from the ashes. And the emotional one of wanting to stick it to England.

footflaps

I think it’s pretty sensible trying to stay in the EU and I hope they succeed.

Just because we’ve shot ourselves in both feet, doesn’t mean they have to.

dmorts

The pragmatic one of trying to salvage something from the ashes. And the emotional one of wanting to stick it to England.

Yes, but they be weighing it up against the precedence set by negotiation with a regional government.

Edit: That said I should look into the Denmark thing mentioned before, was this Iceland? Or Greenland?

Edit2: Greenland https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/213189/greenland-could-give-hope-to-scotland-on-independent-eu-membership/

thebees
    Free Member

I’m sure the E.U. would love to have Scotland. They love a lame duck.

seosamh77
    Free Member

sturgeon on bbc now.

seosamh77
    Free Member

basically saying, seeking to sta in the eu, will be having discussion with eu members, will be putting together a cross party advisory panel. and ensuring eu nationals they are welcome.

epicyclo

Incredible amount of antiScottish racism here.

It will be good when we are no longer shackled to a country with that attitude towards us.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I would imagine it’s a given now that the UK situation has changed and I wish Scotland the best of luck. What’s the point with crowing jingoism? It would be a step into the unknown just like brexit will be for us in England.
    Those kind of sentiments are just as moronic as those from some of the brexit camp.

Edit: racism from both sides of the border in this thread already, can’t you just be happy that each country is allowed to make a choice on its future.

bencooper
    Free Member

Incredible amount of antiScottish racism here.

It’s just banter, innit.

footflaps

It’s just banter, innit.

Bitterness / resentment, that some parts of he UK might escape the act of mass stupidity we’ve just committed.

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s another factor that just occurred to me: EU nationals living in the UK were not allowed to vote in the EU referendum. They were allowed to vote in the first Scottish independence referendum, so will be in the second.

That’s 150,000 people now very likely to vote Yes.

Additionally, 16-17-year-olds were not able to vote in the first Independence referendum and were not able to vote in the EU referendum, but Scottish voting legislation has changed so they would be able to vote in a second Scottish Independence referendum.

Another very pro-EU group there too, also very likely to vote Yes.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve seen little sign of any desire for the former from Juncker et al (though plenty of the latter). Though the trouble with that assumption is that by keeping Scotland the EU retains some of the advantages of the UK being a member – whilst in reality IS would be fairly irrelevant. Scotland on its own simply isn’t enough big enough for them to be that bothered.

Though of course there’s also this issue:

You have seen the most recent figures with the current oil price? 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

add in the mass of people now thinking they’ve been done over… I think polls should start to reflect it soon enough.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    bencooper » The pragmatic one of trying to salvage something from the ashes. And the emotional one of wanting to stick it to England.
    I’ve seen little sign of any desire for the former from Juncker et al (though plenty of the latter). Though the trouble with that assumption is that by keeping Scotland the EU retains some of the advantages of the UK being a member – whilst in reality IS would be fairly irrelevant. Scotland on its own simply isn’t enough big enough for them to be that bothered.

trying your best to make us as insignificant as possible. If the EU isn’t interested in countries with a population of 5 million. why do 11 of the 27 EU member states have 5 million or less population… a further 7 have 10m or less.

Only 6 out of the 27 have 20m+.

plus I doubt sturgeon would be acting as she is without some sort nod through backchannels.

The EU looking to pile the pressure on to trigger article 50 would suggest they are quite hostile to brexit, so spliting the uk won’t be an undesirable thing to them imo. They are looking to set a precident here. lot of people looking on.

aracer
    Free Member

Of course the EU is interested in smaller countries – but there’s no particular reason for it to be more interested in a small Scotland than it would be in any other small country, which is what was being suggested as a reason why Scottish membership would be fast-tracked (which would be required for some of the other assumptions to work).

The EU looking to pile the pressure on to trigger article 50 would suggest they are quite hostile to brexit, so spliting the uk won’t be an undesirable thing to them imo. They are looking to set a precident here. lot of people looking on.

The EU central junta maybe – but I suspect they’re about to get a reality check they don’t have quite as much power as they think they do, and such a split isn’t so desirable to some EU members.

kimbers

Ie the EU isn’t interested in countries with a population of 5 million

. 10 million disgruntled english remainers looking to emigrate, majority young graduates too, leave England to the xenophobes and oldies 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The Spanish attitude may change after Sunday. There’s common ground between the Catalans and the Scots, and tremendous unemployment in Spain, particularly amongst the young. One may anticipate a protest vote. There is a new mayor in Rome from Beppe Grillo’s M5S party, another in Turin. It’s going to be interesting.

irc

Why should indyref 2 give a different result? The 36% Scots who voted Brexit are likely to vote no.

Add in the fact the SNP oil riches claim from indyref 1 has been blown out the water. Add in the massive deficit last year.

How many of the 64% who voted Remain will decide the UK union where most of our trade and our family and friends are is on balance better than the EU?

Getting another 15% on top of the Scots Brexits doesn’t look too hard to me.

thv3
    Free Member

Other thing to bear in mind is the current devolution deal is now more or less worthless, from both sides of the argument. When this process stops, it’s only going to fuel the yes vote next time round I think.
    I also think the EU will be more open in its approach this time, as the reason they would not discuss the options last time was they felt it was a constitutional issue to be decided within the UK. This time, a country that is currently in the EU and chose to remain in the referendum is now facing removal against the wishes of its electorate. I’d say this gives both NS and the EU a good reason to openly discuss the options and present them to the electorate if a 2nd indy ref occurs.
    Other thing to consider is I imagine the EU would want to limit the loss of the UK as much as possible, if this meant an option to keep Scotland IF it became independent I think they would be keen to do so.
    I guess we’ll see.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

FastYoungGit commented…

In or out what ever your view. I’m sure you ll be pleased to hear Jean-Claude Juncker saying we cannot delay the process and insisting we change prime minister in days (rather than following due process) as we owe it to Europe.

I think the point made was that the British voting public (rightly or wrongly) didn’t want unelected EU officials dictating our politics.

dmorts

This time, a country that is currently in the EU and chose to remain in the referendum

Does the EU see Scotland as a country? I mean in a technical sense. Is it the same as Greenland?

Edit: Gibraltar and Northern Ireland may also be looking for the same deal as Scotland too

bencooper
    Free Member

How many of the 64% who voted Remain will decide the UK union where most of our trade and our family and friends are is on balance better than the EU?

That 62% doesn’t include the 150,000 EU citizens or all the 16-17 year olds who weren’t eligible to vote in the Eu referendum but will be eligible to vote in the Independence referendum.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    seosamh77 » If the EU isn’t interested in countries with a population of 5 million. why do 11 of the 27 EU member states have 5 million or less population… a further 7 have 10m or less.
    Of course the EU is interested in smaller countries – but there’s no particular reason for it to be more interested in a small Scotland than it would be in any other small country, which is what was being suggested as a reason why Scottish membership would be fast-tracked (which would be required for some of the other assumptions to work).

I’d say there’s a bit question over whether it’s being fast track or retaining membership, we aren’t the ones wanting to leave.

thv3
    Free Member

?

Of course Scotland is a country, and is recognised as such by, well everyone! The fact is is in a political union with England, Wales and Northern Ireland does not diminish or reduce Scotland’s legal status.

Edit: What else could it be?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I think the last election was as good an indicator of the shift in attitudes as anything else. SNP almost across the board as voters realised The Promise was waffle and then we still ended up with the Tory. The EU vote another.

dmorts

Something that the EU uses as an excuse not to go along with Nicolas Sturgeon’s ambitions, e.g. saying it is just a region

thv3
    Free Member

Under any test Scotland is a country, it’s politically, historically, geographically distinct and has its own legal system, Parliament etc.

footflaps

Why would the EU not want Scotland to stay in the EU?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A region?

I’m curious to know Scotland’s actual status. Not curious enough to Google it though.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I’m not wanting to leave either.

You have the issue of timescales – it doesn’t seem plausible that a referendum could be held and independence negotiated before the UK leaves the EU. Not given that Scottish independence is rather more complicated than the UK leaving the EU, and those civil servants who might work on the process are going to be rather busy.

Though the point remains that the EU aren’t going to be so excited about retaining Scotland as a token of the UK – not enough to make special rules which could cause upset elsewhere. Don’t get the idea I’m particularly against you doing so – just being realistic.

km79
    Free Member

If Scotland is a region then what is England?

seosamh77
    Free Member

well see, aracer, no one can be certain about anything at this stage.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Under any test Scotland is a country, it’s politically, historically, geographically distinct and has its own legal system, Parliament etc.

Currency? Distinct economy?

Start reading…

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/joining-eu/index_en.htm

The ‘Conditions for Membership’ bit is interesting.

“a functioning market economy and the capacity to cope with competition and market forces in the EU;”

5thElefant
    Free Member

If Scotland is a region then what is England?

Another region?

aracer
    Free Member

Well no, that’s one of the big problems! See how the financial markets reacted to a potential IS last time, and I don’t think an independence referendum is going to increase the certainty…

thv3
    Free Member

A Country is not defined by its currency, otherwise half of the America’s that use the dollar would not qualify. The link to the United Nations, includes nations, not countries, and Scotland is represented by the UK.

Country Wiki

Scotland Wiki

I can’t believe whether Scotland is a country or not is in question! 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.