• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Scotland for the 1st time – Help?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Hi guys and gals

Me and my buddy are heading to Scotland later this year for a week of biking, Whisky and stunning scenery etc. In actual fact it was a surprise birthday gift from our non biking other halves, which I can assure you is a miracle.

Anyway,

They are paying for it and we were looking at ways to minimise accommodation costs if possible and last night I had a thought (see link)

Are any of these parks anywhere near some decent riding? don’t mind travelling about a bit either so doesn’t have to be on the doorstep but plenty of options would be nice within an hours drive.

Looked at Sundrum Castle with the thought of heading over to Arran to ride there, is this a good idea?

In the evenings it would be nice to have some quiet beaches, lakes etc for some nice wild bbq action etc.

Sorry for the general nature of the question, I have never been north of the border never mind with bikes.

Cheers

http://www.ukholidaysinthesun.co.uk/cgi-bin/UKHS_park_0003.cgi?promo=SUNSPR14&area=22&sort=A&showall=Y

http://www.ukholidaysinthesun.co.uk/cgi-bin/UKHS_park_0003.cgi?promo=SUNSPR14&area=23&sort=A&showall=Y

onehundredthidiot

Plenty options. Pick an area you fancy and feel you’d like to go to then ask again. Otherwise you’ll get great information for all over which will leave you none the wiser.

poly
    Free Member

genuine mountain biking
    single malt distilleries
    stunning scenery
    quiet beaches

are a combination not normally associated with mass produced holiday/caravan parks. I’m not saying you can’t achieve what you want that way but its not how I would do it. Is this just a lads trip (i.e. leaving the better halves behind)? if so then I’d look at the youth hostels (both SYHA and Independent) and Bunkhouses.

rickon
    Free Member

Torridon.

towzer

Arran is truly beautiful and varied but has pretty limited off rd riding – google on Arran Bike club they have a website with info

I would suggest either Aviemore/Cairngorms or SW Scotland 7 Stanes area (*also see Glentrool) but the whole place is awesome Torridon etc is awesome but I would suggest considering a balance between awesomeness/remoteness and pissing howling gales and nothing to do (*7 days in Plockton – 3 had gales, 6 had monsoon…)

In terms of cheap accom check out wigwams – we stayed at Grantown-In-Spey, £30 a night (wigwam[big garden shed], fridge, telly, kettle very good site facilities[loo, showers etc etc] pub etc easy walk, take your bbq/camping cooking kit) I know there are bunkhouses and wigwams usable for 7 stanes area – which has Glentrool and beaches

http://www.wigwamholidays.com/

br
    Free Member

If you are going west coast, go May/June to avoid/reduce the midges.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Yes, if later than May forget the romantic notion of loch side sunset if the air is still.

Or take plenty of Smidge – it works well 🙂

scotroutes

You haven’t said where you are travelling from and that might influence your choice as getting to the likes of the far North West can be quite time-consuming.

If you can take your holiday outwith the school holiday periods (remembering that Scottish and English schools holiday are not the same) then you can reduce your accommodation budget.

As above – there’s not a massive amount on Arran.

As well as the Highlands, consider Dumfries and Galloway. There are some excellent trail centres, some really good “natural” riding, beaches, lochs and a full choice of accommodation – including caravan parks.

The suggestion of Aviemore has already been made. It has also tons of good natural trails and easy access to some good trails centres and accommodation aplenty.

If you can narrow down your search a bit then you will get loads of advice on here about where to stay and where to ride.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips so far.

I will have to go away and narrow it down a bit I think.

We are heading up from Leicestershire so would prefer to avoid the north if possible.

Dumfries and Galloway sounds like a good bet.

Chew
    Free Member

Dumfries and Galloway sounds like a good bet

The borders are nice but it’s like the hills of Northern England but on a bigger scale.
    The highlands and anything north of Glasgow is far more dramatic in terms of scenery. Yes it’s more time consuming to get there but it’s well worry the effort if you’ve never been to Scotland before.

onehundredthidiot

Just to help with timings (bbc weather map messes with ideas of size) I live about 30 minutes from the border, on the north side, and it would take 6-7 hours to get to torridon, driving normally.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Hey ho! – Not sure why you want to avoid the North bit. Thats what Scotland is all about.
    South of Glasgow is rolling empty(relatively) landscapes, very picturesque, but not the same as the Highlands. However they do have some of the best biking routes in Scotland at 7stanes, which is epic.
    Wild camping – in Scotland, anywhere you damn well please.
    BBQ – As above
    Beaches – Plenty everywhere, mostly empty and usually great views
    Distances – 3 hrs from Glasgow will take you to inverness or Fort William. Beyond that in any direction, 1hr will take you into epic riding territory.
    Riding – Skye/Torridon/Aviemore for starters.
    Bunkhouses are everywhere now, but make sure you book in advance for the more popular areas.
    Scenery – How long have you got (Google Sgurr na Moraich for an idea)
    Where NOT to wildcamp – beside burns/rivers or near/in woods. Midges will eat you alive anytime after June. Pick a spot in the open, all you need is a light breeze and the little blighters will vanish.
    Put Golspie/laggan and Fort William on your list of Highland trail centres and enjoy.

Cead Mile Failte

scandal42
    Free Member

Sangobegger

email add? 😀

andypandy85
    Free Member

Never ridden it, but I’m reliably informed Torridon is the best trail riding in the UK. As and when I get my trail bike I’ll be making the journey up there!

Greybeard
    Free Member

wild camping – in Scotland, anywhere you damn well please.

Provided you’re responsible about it.

BBQ – As above

Sadly, not everybody is responsible and many brilliant camping spots are being ruined by fire rings on the grass. Please keep fires where they don’t do any damage, eg, rocks.

And have great trip!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Aaw sweet, you’re planning a bbq, in Scotland, lol!

crikey
    Free Member

Do be aware though that if the locals catch you, they’ll shag you then eat you.

(copyright Rab C Nesbitt, IIRC)

vorlich
    Free Member

I type this from the comfort of Tomintoul Bunkhouse. I have the place to myself. Glenlivet tomorrow.

bigjim

Where NOT to wildcamp – beside burns/rivers or near/in woods. Midges will eat you alive anytime after June

Assuming your reasoning is based on there being less wind in those places – midges’ larval stage lives in soil not water unlike mozzies, so there will be just as many on moorland.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

They prefer wet soil bigjim so there are indeed more near burns and standing water, as every Scot knows from experience!

br
    Free Member

They prefer wet soil bigjim so there are indeed more near burns and standing water,

Which is normally about 99% of Scotland 🙂

tbh If you’re not staying south of the Central Belt you’re not really seeing the ‘proper’ Scotland. Don’t get me wrong, the Borders and D&G are brilliant MTB country (I live here), but they’re just big hills. You need to ride in places like the Caingorms, Glen Coe and Torridon to really understand what mountains (and remoteness) are like. And if you are coming for a week, what’s a few more hours each way?

globalti
    Free Member

Coastal areas are where you’ve the best chance of finding the breezes that midges hate.

Books have been written about the effect of the Caledonian Luftwaffe on Scotland’s economy and I have had several family camping holidays abandoned due to the little swines. Be warned!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

West coast/West Highlands stunning scenery. Cairngorms very different, bleak but still stunning in a different way. Dumfries & Galloway nice but not in same league.

Has any one mentioned Scottish weather yet? Or midges?

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks people

Going to grab a ride this morning and then ill be researching all suggestions later today with a few drams 😀

grum
    Free Member

If you’ve never been – the drive across Rannoch Moor and through Glencoe is incredibly spectacular. There’s good riding around there too (Devil’s Staircase etc) including the excellent uplift tracks at Nevis Range if that’s your bag.

Aviemore might be good for riding but the west coast and the islands there are breathtakingly beautiful. Never ridden on Arran so I can’t help you there. West is best!

Dumfries and Galloway has great trail centres – the scenery is pleasant but unspectacular.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Scotland for the 1st time – Help?’ is closed to new replies.