Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Scotland coast to coast mtb route?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ah – sorry TJ. I didn't realise you were planning this on the tandem. How about this for a plan…

TJ & Mrs. TJ start in Bonar Bridge and head West at a leisurely pace on the Saturday. The one-dayers set off from Ullapool at the same time or a bit earlier. Everyone finishes in Ullapool on Saturday afternoon/evening, possibly in smaller groups/pairs.

Big get-together in Ullapool on Saturday evening.

TJ and Mrs. TJ ride back to Bonar Bridge on Sunday. You could even get your evening wear to meet you in Ullapool.

Possibility?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stuartie – we will just go with the flow and pick and chose to suit Even for me solo I wouldn't fancy 80 miles and 4000 ft of climb in a day – not enough time for picnics and admiring the view 🙂 we are not much slower on the tandem.

It has to be about more than just heads down and pedal all day

italspark
    Free Member

stuartie, im up for it , mad for it (as you well know) any weekend with a (bit of notice!) ive been itching for an epic, probably drag the m.c. along as well
    time for a fresh thread me thinks

Gordymac
    Free Member

Im night shift on the Saturday which makes me good for Sunday 18th 😀

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Gordy,

Sunday is tricky for me because I need to get back to Fife to be back to work the next day. 4 hour drive from Ullapool – maybe I need to move back to the Highlands!

How about the previous weekend? 10th/11th?

Who does that suit? I'd rather fix on a definite date before starting a new thread.

italspark
    Free Member

10/11 or 17/18 good for me

radoggair
    Free Member

Give me a few days and i'll check what i'm like for this. I could potentially be in ( there and back in a day sounds good for me )

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Im well up for this, I'm never knowingly dragged anywhere.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Has anyone posted this?

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/

click on multi day epics in the off road adventures tab. Second one down is a coast to coast route.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Time off for me isn't a problem so if you want to make a date and then i'll sort it out so im there.

Gordymac 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – any objections before I make this into a new thread?

Weekend of 10/11 April.

Ullapool – Bonar Bridge – Ullapool with a 2-day option overnightitng in Ullapool.

I'll wait a couple more days on this thread before starting an official new one.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

None, just count me and italspark in.

13thfloormonk

Stuartie,

I can't do 10th and 11th I'm afraid, I've already booked that weekend for the 4 dayer (Gleneagles to Lochearnhead to Killin to Rannoch to Taynuilt then Oban)

I mighten't even be able to do the 17th 18th as I'd need to leave Edinburgh after work and then get back sunday night, need to look at transport logistics!

Will check it out at lunchtime.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I might be keen on this and can definitely make the weekend of the 17th/18th as the better half is away that weekend 😀 Less sure of the 10th/11th but may make it.

allyharp

13thfloormonk, that sounds an interesting route you're doing there. Have you got any further details of the route taken?

13thfloormonk

I've got it all mapped Ally, although I've assumed miserable conditions throughout so there's a healthy proportion of landy track thrown in, and some slightly pointless detours to visit some random wee spots I fancied.

Doune – Braes of Doune – Findhu Glen – Glen Artney – Arivurichardich Bothy – Gleannan dubh Choirein – Glen vorlich – Lochearnhead – Glen Kendrum – Glean Dubh – Killin – Lochan na Lairige – Bridge of Balgie – Lairig Ghallabhaich – Rannoch forest – Rannoch Station – Kingshouse Hotel – Victoria Bridge – Glen Kinglass – Inverawe

I was just playing with memory map when I plotted that but figured it'd be a good route, could probably do it in three days if the weather played ball…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if you were a week earlier you'd be overtaking us on our tourers

we'll be in Plockton by then though

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just had a look on memory map – unless I am being a total muppet then its a lot less than you said – under 30 miles each way and under 2500ft off climb each way – that makes it a lot more feasable for a return in a day.

anyone going up in a van / big car that can take the tandem?

italspark
    Free Member

you forgot to factor in the D.E.F.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

D.E.F? I did only take the route to the limits of the tidal river rather than on to bonar bridge – thats probably the difference

italspark
    Free Member

if you make it ill tell you what it means !

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Scotland coast to coast mtb route?’ is closed to new replies.