Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scotland – can anyone recommend B&Bs in the following places please
  • danti

Planning a week trip up and have got a few routes I’m hoping to do and just need to sort out B&Bs (<£75 a night if possible, comfy beds, good porridge, not bothered about fry up but Wi-Fi would be good, and near somewhere to eat out in the evening (don’t mind a chippy if nothing else).
    This may be a last minute kind of trip (weather dependent) so space in youth hostels is probably less likely but happy to do if possible.

Fort William / Glen Coe

Torridon – I’ve stopped at the Kinlochewe bunkhouse before and was wondering if there’s somewhere slightly more comfortable. Maybe Torridon YH but that books up quick, anywhere else?

Scourie / Kinlochbervie

Braemar

Kirroughtree

Thanks

Mackem

Dunno about those places specifically but be worth looking into camping pods.

highlandman
    Free Member

Start off with the VisitScotland website.
    Torridon: No shortage of good B&B in Sheildaig and also just along at Kinlochewe; both villages have eat out opportunities. Both are also very handy for the trails, although the very best for that is the Torridon Inn, being placed at the bottom of those two cracking descents. Not cheap, though has good grub and excellent beer.
    Sheildaig has several traditional domestic B&Bs and a pub with rooms, although the latter is quite expensive.
    Kinlochewe hotel is reasonably cheap, especially in that bunkhouse. Again, several domestic B&Bs within walking distance, including quite an interesting one just along the Torridon road, maybe 1/4mile out. Have stayed in several around here and have not had a bad one yet.
    Braemar is very well supplied with good B&B options. Loads on the VisitScotland site. Again, I’ve never been disappointed yet with the standard of accommodation in local B&Bs in Braemar but don’t stay in the Fife Arms Hotel. Best cake shop is Braemar Mountain Sports.

oldbloke
    Free Member

In the Scourie / Kinlochbervie area:
    On the way up, Kylesku Hotel might cost a bit more per night but it is your best bet for food in the area.
    Scourie has a few decent B&Bs. Quality is less important than being able to get a room. The Anchorage (at the campsite) does OK food and the Scourie Hotel does a bit as well.
    Rhiconich Hotel is, em, basic, but the food is OK.

thegreatape
    Free Member

For Glencoe you could try Fern Villa in Ballachulish (award winning porridge but owner talks a lot), new chippy and pub/restaurant about 30 seconds away, or Heatherlea in Glencoe village (just opened so maybe easier to get something at short notice, don’t know the new owners but has bike storage), pubs within 5 minute drive or half hour walk, or Strath Lodge (owner is a mate, really nice house, stumbling distance to the Clachaig).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Or Glencoe Independent Hostel, owners are spot on and keen bikers.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Fort William / Glen Coe – the wee Hobbit huts at Glencoe?. Or, Glenafton B&B in Corpach is our usual haunt for up there for the World Cup.

Bit off the beaten track, but MacDonald Hotel & Cabins at Kinlochleven is a popular stop off point for WHW walkers.

BraemarCraiglea B&B

Trekster
    Trekster
    Northwind

How many of you is there? For the Fort check out Torlinnhe, it’s right on the south corner of fort william but they’ll take good care of you.

Achnabobane Farmhouse is good too but they struggle with wifi because the house is all massive stone walls. Or if in doubt there’s always spean bridge, you tend to get more for your money there. The Braes is where I tend to stop, up there.

Allt-na-Leven is good in Kinlochleven but I don’t think they have bike storage- mine stayed in the car. First time I stayed there, I’d not checked in in the morning, just went riding. Came down off the grey mare’s trail in the snow and near dark, pretty much smacked out by the cold, covered head to foot in mud- the owner more or less carried me up the stairs and threw me in the shower, never been a better welcome 😆

crispybacon
    Free Member

I stayed at the Kinlochewe bunkhouse last week & never again 🙁

It is very basic, with basic showers, WC’s, sinks etc.
    There was no lock on the main door so anyone could enter the bunkhouse & you wouldn’t know if they were bunkhouse guests or not.
    There was no locked bike store & we had to leave 25K+ worth of bikes in an open shed used as a log store – so take your own bike lock.
    The food in the hotel is good but bizarrely they turn the free wifi off between 6.30 & 9pm??
    Bunkhouse guests cannot have breakfast at the hotel? so we went to a cafe down the street who were very welcoming & did a superb breakfast with porridge 🙂

Just thought I’d add this to the mix.

If you go to Ullapool then we stayed at the Dromnan Guest house, fantastic place & they even took their car out of the garage to store our bikes. Great rooms, great breakfast & wonderful owners 🙂

stevious

Not going to defend all points about the bunkhouse but a lack of need for locks on things is one of the best things about that part of the world.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I think you’ll find a lot of places already booked up so get on it pronto!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scotland – can anyone recommend B&Bs in the following places please’ is closed to new replies.