Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The Scotland Bill
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Just had a wee read at this:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotland-steps-into-the-future-with-new-tax-raising-powers-1-2242037?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Someone tell me if i’m wrong, the figures jump out at me.

Scotland’s block grant of £30 billion from Westminster would be cut by about 35 per cent to even this up.

The Scottish Government will also get borrowing powers for the first time worth about £2.7bn in total. Stamp duty tax, landfill tax and the power to create new taxes will also be devolved to Scotland. In all, the amount of tax raised directly in Scotland will double to about £9bn under the legislation, although this is still only about 16 per cent of all Scottish taxes.

So 35% of 30billion = 10.5billion reduction. and tax raising power will raise 9billion.

Is this Scotland bill just about bumping us out of 1.5billion?

Plus if 9billion is 16% of scottish taxes, 100% = 56.25billion and there’s only a 30 billion grant, where does the other 16.25 billion go?

druidh
    Free Member

Your sums are wrong.

So 35% of 30billion = 10.5billion reduction. – Tick

and tax raising power will raise 9billion. Uh – huh. It will double to £9Bn. i.e. it is already £4.5Bn.

56.25billion and there’s only a 30 billion grant, where does the other 26.25 billion go? That’ll be the “Union Dividend”. Someone has to pay for Trident and the Olympics you know…. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

d’oh, getting past my bedtime, still, like to hear peoples opinions on this over all.

FWIW England can keep Trident and the Olympics! gi’es ma 26 billion back! :mrgreen:

seosamh77
    Free Member

actually, does doubling not mean it’s a bigger bump? ie they are wanting to take 10.5 billion, in return for 4.5 billion in tax raising?

So overall, scotland gets 24 billion instead of 30, with total taxes at 56.25.

So revise the last question to what does 32.25 billion get us from the union?(I sense a pythonesque answer, but still I’ll ask!)

druidh
    Free Member

konabunny
    Free Member

Whun yon document is cross-tongued intae tha no-at-all-madey-uppy-sleekit Ulster-Scoatch, it’ll be referred tae as the “Alba Wullie”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘The Scotland Bill’ is closed to new replies.