Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Scotland bike hire prices??! Ouch!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Off to sw scotchland on Thursday for ten days. Totally unplanned as the mrs booked the cottage whilst I was at Inners the other weekend, but it's situated within half an hr of two of the other 7 stanes. I've racked my brain on how we can get our bikes up there, even using a courier but still no luck! Had a quick look at the hire shops and reckon it's gonna be 70 odd quid for 2 to 3 hrs. Gutted!! Anywhere cheaper??

uplink
    Free Member

how are you travelling?

forge197
    Free Member

Is that for one bike or a few?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

By car, 2 adults 2 kids from Derbyshire. Reckon the only way to get them on the car is to get a tow bar fitted then get the 4 bike rack. Looking at about £350 for that! Normally as a family we ride closer to home so just pile them all in the van! Gutting me thinking we're going all the way up there and got no bikes!!!

Woody
    Free Member

Not cheap but less than getting a tow bar HERE and even cheaper for roof mounted HERE

forge197
    Free Member

Makes more sense for 4 bikes did you look here

http://www.thebreakpad.com/bikehirekirrough.html

adamdv8
    Free Member

£60 for a halfords 3-bike rack, and hire 1 bike only?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks woody, unfortunately the chav machine I drive fails all the criteria required for that one.
    Forge, thanks also, looked at the bike pad last night, quick tot up from them is where I got the 70 quid for the coupla hours from.
    It's gonna be harsh being so close to all that's on offer with no wheels!!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hiring a minibus for the weekend that you could all get in with your bikes might work out cheaper than hiring bikes by the sound of it.

Sorry, ignore that, doubt it would be cheaper for 10 days.

ojom
    Free Member

What sort of bikes do you need and how long?
    Got an mmmbop and a girls myka in the garage if you want a loaner pair. Drop 30 sheets towards Pakistan as payment.

Otherwise could do you a pair of demo things from the emporium for about 60.
    Mark.

bruneep

So that's about £17.50 each bike for 3hrs that works out about £5.83 per hr per person.

Not that bad.

uplink
    Free Member

According to your profile you only live in Derbyshire
    Just make 2 trips, it's only a few hours each way

flyingfox
    Free Member

We hire out bikes for cheaper than that and the money you spend can be used against a bike in the future.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Just make 2 trips, it's only a few hours each way

Lol. Good thinking 🙂

Alternatively, you could spend a day/breakfast irritating your wife and kids so much that they *order* you to piss off by yourself for a day. Then you'll just have to hire one bike.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Just buy a 4 bike strap-on rack – take time to adjust it right and then check and re-tighten after 10 minutes of driving and it'll be fine.

This Hollywood one is good.

Pendle also do a good 4 bike one as well.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That will almost certainly happen heathen!!! Ha ha
    😉

midlifecrashes

Bikes in the car where they belong. Wife and kids on National Express. Sorted. 🙂

Trekster

where are you staying?
    Could maybe sort you out with bikes for a day or 2 😆

hels
    Free Member

Has anybody suggested sending the kids via Courier yet ? Make the drive less stressful.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Where are you staying?

IdleJon

midlifecrashes – Member
    Bikes in the car where they belong. Wife and kids on National Express. Sorted.

Ah, you saw me arrive at 24/12 last year, empty car, pitch tent and then go find the train station to pick the wife and kids up, did you? 😀

HeatherBash
    Free Member

So, you have a van and a car and a wife. Assuming wife drives take car and van. Cant believe I'm answering this…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

So you're hiring 4 bikes for £70. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Anyway, if I were you I would get a towbar mounted rack. And if you don't have a towbar then get one.
    It'll pay for itself in no time as you'll end up using it constantly like I do. I widh I'd done it years ago…..

Coyote
    Free Member

To be honest, one of you driving the gear whilst the other gets train / coach sounds a winner. That's what we do when we are in Vancouver and we head up to Squamish / Whistler.

wrightyson
    Free Member

6hr drive, on her own with the kids will not happen ha ha! We're staying in a little place called port William, about 30 mins from Newton Stewart . Thanks for all the offers of loans, good bunch on here deep down 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Surely you only really need to take one bike.

Trekster

Bit too far from Dumfries then 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd second the second vehicle option. She can drive the van with bikes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I'm not quite sure why you can't put 4 on the roof… am I missing something?

Port William is nice – you'd be better hiring kayaks and going sea-yakking instead!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Glasgowdan, that's good to hear. I'd never been to Scotland until 2 weeks ago and now I'm dragging the tribe back with me, I was mightily impressed. Any tips of places to go see from where we're staying? Kids love a good roam about, hidden beaches etc!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Scotland bike hire prices??! Ouch!’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts