• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Scotland bids for Tour de France stage
  • organic355
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12149629

Hope they keep Alex Grosset away!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So would the 1st stage be held in the UK or Scotland as well? Or would it just the the TT before flying to France? Presumably they’re not going to run the 1st week down the east coast?

warton
    Free Member

Prologue in Scotland, plane to france for 1st stage I would of thought.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

Starting in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Edinburgh! Edinburgh! etc.

It would be cool to see them use the route followed on the Nocturne, adding in the Royal Mile, Arthur’s seat, then taking it along the Auchendinny road and back through the Granites or something.

Alternatively, take it to the highlands and send them up and down the Amulree Kenmore road, heh heh heh.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Prologue in Scotland, plane to france for 1st stage I would of thought.

Prologue and first stage would be nice, and then they could transfer for the second stage. Worked fine for London (although admittedly Kent is a lot closer to France).

warton
    Free Member

I doubt riders or teams will want 4 or 5 hours in the saddle followed by a couple of hours of sitting still in a cramped plane

pixelmix
    Free Member

I doubt riders or teams will want 4 or 5 hours in the saddle followed by a couple of hours of sitting still in a cramped plane

True. There are plane or train transfers quite often, even within France though. A rest day for transfer would be possible too. This is all a bit of a pipedream at this stage anyway. It remains to be seen how the tour riders would cope with the heady mix of potholes and tram lines here. Would be nice if it happened though – the council might even resurface a road or two. 😀

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Whether the riders like it or not is neither here nor there. Everything is for sale in the Tour so if there is enough money forthcoming from a Scottish bid then it will happen. If they were to hold it in Edinburgh there’d be more potholes than when they rode over the hell of the north last year.

richmtb

There’s potholes in Glasgow that could swallow a road bike whole!

Even as someone who lives in Glasgow I would rather see it in Edinburgh.

Winners podium on the Esplanade would be something special

warton
    Free Member

pixelmix, rest day after one day? doubt it!

hels
    Free Member

Pedalos across to Belgium for stage two – that would sort the men from the boys.

warton
    Free Member

hels, pedalos? swim, with bikes on back!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

😆 I’ve heard it all now!

pixelmix
    Free Member

True, but then if you can hold a football world cup in Qatar in winter!

Edric64
    Free Member

Tour de France goes to the third world? : 😆

bigjim

This would be so cool. I can see the headlines now though: “Outrage: Council to spend £x million repairing roads for cycle event”

mrmo
    Free Member

the start isn’t insane, 1987 was Berlin, 1998 was in Dublin, and 2013 is looking like Corsica, IF they want it to happen it will. I would guess prologue plus one or two stages. then air transfer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Scotland bids for Tour de France stage’ is closed to new replies.