Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scotch beach tour help
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Having invested in a fat bike and ridden it to the shops a couple of time (along a beach, to be fair), I’m thinking of a weekend trip that makes use of it – seems to me a trip connecting a few beaches would be a good plan, ideally train-able from Edinburgh.

Any thoughts?

Stoner
    Free Member

calgary beech on Mull – train to Oban, ferry to craignure, bomb over the top. Then ride 500 yards of beach, turn round and head home. Well worth it! 😉

Kunstler

Arisaig to Mallaig. Though that’s quite short.

fergal
    Free Member

“if i say it’s safe to ride this beach, it’s safe to ride this beach, i want napalm on that tree line”!??

fasthaggis

Fife coastal path (but on the beaches)

duir
    Free Member

Do you mean Scottish beach or beaches covered in whisky? 😀

If the it’s the former then Red point in wester ross is a winner.

fasthaggis

Northumbrian coast .
    Not far (by train) from Edimburger

dazzlingboy

All of North Uist and Berneray. We rode motorbikes on beaches (yeah I know) for days over there. And over to Harris too.

Train to Oban, ferry to Lochboisdale.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh to north berwick return by train – mind you I have done this all along the beach on an ordinary MTB

cynic-al
    Free Member

Actually on the sand? I didn’t realise it was passable.

Oh and well spotted on the wind up Druid.

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Actually on the sand? I didn’t realise it was passable.

Oh and well spotted on the wind up Druid.Eh?

I was gonna suggest South Uist and all the way up to North Uist. Get some local advice on the tides and you should be able to cross between the islands on the beaches instead of the causeways. Train to Oban then ferry to Lochboisdale and a wee road jaunt over to Dalabrog. If you head over to Harris on the wee ferry from Bernera, then there are a number of beaches heading North towards Harris. Your problem is then getting back as the only ferry from there runs to Uig on Skye, so you’ve a bit of a trek over to Kyle for the train home. When are you going/coming back?

duir
    Free Member

Think “Duir” was confused for “Druid” but coincidentally “Duir” is the Celtic word for oak according to the Ogham tree alphabet and oak trees were very popular with druids (apparently). 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Scotch” is meant to wind up teh Scots 😎

No date plans but I don’t have a lot of time off to give it. I can do you a cheap frame if you fancy building up an appropriate bike 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scotch beach tour help’ is closed to new replies.