Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Scooter for my 6 year old son
  • paul2louise
    Free Member

My son is 6 next month. He is tall for his age. We been happy with his 3 wheel scooter but i wanted to buy him a 2 wheel for his birthday. I know you can buy robust stunt scooters but i dont want to spend too much at the moment but would like it to be fairly strong to take a little bit of abuse.
    I spoke to staff in shops today and they advised that foldable scooters are not very strong. But none folding scooters take up a lot of room.
    I also want to buy a scooter from a physical shop as i had a lot of trouble with an online scooter we bought previously.
    I know razor and JD bug are good makes so i like both of these which i can buy from Toys r us. Both the same price £32.99.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/razor-s-scooter-blue/0123551

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/jd-bug-classic-4-scooter-in-blue/TRUP1744780001

Any thoughts.

takisawa2

My boys had Razor ones from Argos three years ago. They’ve taken a right battering. As usual I tried to get clued up on what I was buying & found the more enthusiast level ones have threadless steerers & 110mm wheels. £50 seemed to buy you a top(ish) end threaded model or an entry level threadless one. Given they were only a year or two older than yours, & just starting out, I went with the Razor model & they’ve been spot on.

pocpoc
    Free Member

How critical is the folding vs non-folding?
    If it’s planned to last him a few years then I’d recommend the non-folding stunt scooter style as they’re going to get a lot of abuse, especially if there’s a skate park nearby.
    My 6yo son has had one of THESE for over a year now, only had to replace one wheel (bearing disintergrated) and I’ve just bought another one for 5yo daughter as current cheap, folding Frozen one is appalingly bad.

steve-g
    Free Member

Got my kids these and they seem very well built.

EDIT: Non folding

paul2louise
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies. We havent got any ramps or skateboarding parks nearby, about 10 miles so a car trip really. Plus if we want to take it on holiday when we go camping it is easier to fit in the car if it folds. He will probably use it most on our street playing with some of the older boys who have scooters. So probably needs to be fairly strong as he wont understand how to look after it like he should. We had a globber 3 wheel scooter when he was 4 that just fell apart after 3 months so i am nervous now about buying something that cant take a little bit of wear and tear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Scooter for my 6 year old son’ is closed to new replies.