Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Scifi film recs please
  • Creg

Pitch black and chronicles of riddick?

verses

“Super 8” is worth a watch although it gets a little schmaltzy towards the end.

“Attack the Block” is a good brain-out bit of daftness (Directed by Joe of Adam and Joe fame)

“Rubber” is worth a watch, just for it’s self-aware B-movie premise.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got this on my “to watch” list.. I thnk it got recommended on a similar thread on here recently, even though its a few years old.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB50aBrHbu4[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wordnumb
    Free Member

Fire in the Sky.
    Metropolis.

vinnyeh

Couple of oldies to chuck in the mix..
    Soylent Green
    Boy and his dog.

Oh, and has anybody mentioned ‘Galaxy Quest’? 🙂

footflaps

JJ Abrams Star Treks are good but not really Sci-Fi

You’ve lost me there….

zilog6128

“Sci-Fi” is literally fiction based on science. Mostly based on some kind of “what if…” premise, eg “what if we could time travel” etc. The recent Star Trek films are fantasy films not sci-fi because it could just as well be about wizards and magic but retain the same plot – they’re just adventure films. Even the original Star Trek was more about sociological issues than science.

A lot of what most people think are sci-fi films/tv series really aren’t, and for some (mainly books) really old stuff (e.g. Frankenstein) the opposite is true.

vinnyeh

Fringe is well worth the effort, first half of season 1 is like said above a bit close to x files, but then it heads off on its own eccentric path. Great through to at least end of season 3. Some top characterisation from John Noble as well.

plyphon
    Free Member

I recently watched THX 1138, which was George Lucas’ first ever film, made in 1971. A complete contrast to Star Wars in every way possible.

The story line is quite predictable but the film itself is a good sci-fi thriller and if you’re into dystopian films then 100% worth a watch.

IMDB link

vinnyeh

“Sci-Fi” is literally fiction based on science. Mostly based on some kind of “what if…” premise. The recent Star Trek films are fantasy films not sci-fi because it could just as well be about wizards and magic but retain the same plot. Even the original Star Trek was more about sociological issues than science.

This is pedantic bs. I would suggest that you’re referring to the niche ‘hard sci fi’.

zilog6128

Not really. The difference is, something like Back to The Future is sci-fi, even though (the original) is set in the past. Something like Babylon 5 isn’t sci-fi, it’s a (political) drama that happens to be set on a space station, in the future.

If “sci-fi” means “space ships & aliens” to you, then that’s fine, but that is not the correct meaning.

kimbers

new star trek films are just standard hollywood action blockbusters in space
    and as such they dissapoint me also

thx1138 is great, especially if you are a NIN fan

the john carpenter Thing is well worth it even the ‘sequel’ is ok, but not a patch on the kurt russel one

willard

Are we talking classics without mentioning “Close Encounters”? But if you watch that, you have to watch “Paul”.

I used to have a pretty large collection of sci-fi back in the day on VHS. I really should get round to putting them all on DVD or .mp4 or something.

How about comparisons? Go for the Arnie version of “Total Recall” followed immediately by the new version. Then discuss. Repeat the process for “The Day The Earth Stood Still”, or “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”, or “I Am Legend”/”The Omega Man”.

Failing that, go all B-movie and take in some quality 50’s black and white films if you can find them.

sharkattack

Not really. The difference is, something like Back to The Future is sci-fi, even though (the original) is set in the past. Something like Babylon 5 isn’t sci-fi, it’s a (political) drama that happens to be set on a space station, in the future.

If “sci-fi” means “space ships & aliens” to you, then that’s fine, but that is not the correct meaning.

You must be great to sit and have a pint with.

clubber
    Free Member

Good old STW 🙂

I like both Scifis discussed above. They’re all scifi to me.

zilog6128

You must be great to sit and have a pint with.

I can REALLY get going after a few beers 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Are you one of the characters in The Big Bang Theory? 😉

RustySpanner

Monsters is good.

Not Sci Fi really, but a bloody good UK indie film.

Well worth a watch.

kimbers

zilog are you the blonde girl whose always smuggling peanuts?

clubber
    Free Member

I was thinking this more

zilog6128

zilog are you the blonde girl whose always smuggling peanuts?

That would probably make negotiating a discount in LBS a bit easier!

jekkyl

Back to the Future?
    It’s about this guy who jumps in his mad mates time machine and almost ends up being his own Dad. It had 2 lesser sequels as well which are worth watching as well.

clubber
    Free Member

That sounds rubbish. I can’t imagine that would ever be a popular film…

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

“Repo men”, body part loan people.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

If you don’t mind subtitles, then Chrysalis isn’t too shabby. Better than it’s score of 5.1 on IMDB would have you believe.

Agree with verses about Super 8…thought that was a cracking watch.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m afraid I didn’t… 😉

z1ppy

lots been suggested that I would have said, so rather than repeat I’ll add, these sci-fi (or non-sci fi accord to zilog 😉 )

Skyline.. (yes I know it mentioned above) I loved it for the effects/aliens, just fast forward the 1st twenty minutes, you’ll thank me.
    Battle: Los Angeles.. Blackhawk down with aliens.. entertaining but rubbish.
    Battleship .. brainless pap but it’s watchable at least once.

Inception, definitely worth a watch at least once.
    The book of Eli – hey it’s Denzel Washington, everything he’s in is worth a watch (ok, most of what he’s in..)
    Tron: Legacy, if only to oggle 13

Classic: Outland – Sean Connery being ace.

Russell96

The Fifth Element
    The Twelve Monkeys

MikeWW
    Free Member

After Earth is very good IMO

PrinceJohn

Titan AE – a kids film is pretty good fun

Source Code I really enjoyed but thought it should’ve ended about 10mins earlier – I think the actual end was tacked on thanks to test audiences, but had it ended where I think it should’ve ended it would be regarded as a classic.

athgray
    Free Member

Outland +1
    The Fly
    If post apocolypse counts Mad Max II
    The Abyss
    Robocop
    Dune

swiss01
    Free Member

no classics yet?
    forbidden planet
    the day the earth stood still
    dark star

or what about
    ghost in the shell
    akira

proper sci fi (i concur with zilog)
    eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
    solaris (both versions)

and stuff blows up
    the riddick movies
    starship troopers
    wrath of khan
    the abyss

and nobody for zardoz? really?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Omega Man was good and also enjoyed The Martian Chronicles

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Quatermass and the Pit (classic)

Silent Running (cool robots)

Sunshine

Blackhole (sorry)

Forbidden Planet (yes – that is Leslie Nielsen)

footflaps

I love Blackhole, probably because I was so young when I first saw it and it made such an impression. I’ve watched it a few times recently – great sound track.

I also live Tron (the original), which I think stands up really well for it’s age.

I’ve got quite an extensive Sci-fi collection. been finding online lists then downloading any I don’t have and catching up with classics oldies like Soylent Green, Silent Running, Zardos etc.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Videodrome

Barbarella 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Dark Star
    Forbidden Planet
    Soylent Green
    Planet of the Apes
    Silent Running
    The Day the Earth stood still
    Akira (but only in Japanese with english subtitles)
    BSG
    ST2 Wrath of Khan
    ST First Contact
    Dune (but book is MUCH better)

Cougar

Three pages in and no-one’s recommended Escape From New York? I’ve half a mind to ban the lot of you.

That is, apart from PrinceJohn who redeemed himself with:

Titan AE – a kids film is pretty good fun

Don Bluth (Dragon’s Lair, Space Ace) and Joss Whedon, what’s not to like? Titan A.E. is a vastly underrated little movie.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I think I’ve seen most of the suggestions but there are a few to check out.

Cougar

Oh yeah, and in terms of series, no Farscape love?

Farscape, Firefly, BSG. For very different reasons, three of the finest sci-fi shows ever to grace our screens. And Deep Space 9 only dodges that accolade by being shit for two seasons before being awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Scifi film recs please’ is closed to new replies.