Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Scientific cakculator woes!!
  • smiththemainman
    Free Member

Hi all sons first secondary school homework,New Casio scientific school calculator 5.2 x 5.2 = 676 over 25 i then try 676 divide by 25 and still end up with 676 over 25 why don’t I get 27.04 either way any homework help much appreciated!!

scaredypants

/thread 😉

(I think the modern ones poduce a list of operations that you can combine together, then press “something” to actually perform it)

chudsy
    Free Member

Is there a sd button on it. Should convert the answer from a fraction to a decimal.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Happy days chudsy, legend!!!

fozzie
    Free Member

I think I set my Casio to use decimals by default by pressing/selecting shift-mod-stat but it was a while ago and I am sure your son would have a newer model.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be putting his calculator into stats mode, could cause him other moments of confusion. He should be fine now he knows about the S<->D button. At least now if he gets given a calculator which isn’t his one (e.g. in an exam) he’ll know what to do.

I bet not knowing about the S<->D button has disheartened many a pupil and parent in recent years. It’s good he now knows about it.

Anyway shouldn’t he be doing this without a calculator though 😉 An ideal opportunity to help him on his way by making sure he can multiple decimal numbers.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers folks, it was finding out how far each grand prix was , lap length ie 5.987km x laps , that was just my basic example!! There were 20 , 15 with calc and 5 long hand, we are free to play now!!!

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

That fx-39 brings back memories. I remember upgrading to an fx-450 because it had boolean operators on it even though i didn’t know how to use them at the time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CountZero

CaptainFlashheart – Member

There’s always one, isn’t there!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They usually come in pairs, but otherwise, yes.

CHB

50337 …with modern calculators having dot matrix displays, the days of spending maths lessons trying to spell words upside down are dwindling.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you knew the answer was 27.04 all along why did you need to use a calculator?

prettygreenparrot

Ah the Casio fx-450. I tried to get my son to take that to school the other day when he revealed that his fx-83 had mysteriously died. He resisted and picked up a fresh fx-83 from a store later in the week for <£10.

Cougar

Still have mine (actually I think it’s an FX-451, broadly the same thing though IIRC).

revs1972
    Free Member

currently using my Casio FX 992s . Still going strong after 25 years, most of the numbers have rubbed off over time , but you just know where they are.
    Bought because it could do pythagoras simply by pressing the SHIFT then + button when adding up the 2 sides !

ffej
    Free Member

I’ve just stuck new batteries into my Casio FX-7000 – It’s still be mutts nuts after all these years.
    Not sure I can remember how to program it or draw graphs, but it’s still be best for basic adding up by being able to back track and correct errors.

Jeff

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How about [SHIFT][=] to get the answer?

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Read the full thread joshvegas 🙂
    Will look at BBSB thanks.
    Bought a Texas Instrument calc in about 1979 for I think it was nearly £30 and never worked correctly to far ahead of its day I think!!

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a Casio FX – bought when I was 16, still has the formula for quadratic equations scratched in the back (never did get caught on that one 🙂

32 years on it still gets quite regular use and is somehow still on the original Casio batteries it shipped with.

richmars

Casio calcs are rubbish!
    Real geeks have HP.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Casio calcs are rubbish!
    Real geeks have HP.

Liking RPN is nothing to boast about.

IA

Casio calcs are rubbish!
    Real geeks have HP.

TI FTW.

Cougar

Liking RPN is nothing to boast about.

Don’t you mean:

boast about. nothing to is Liking RPN

joshvegas
    Free Member

Read the full thread joshvegas

I feel you missed the gist…

767/25 is how I would leave it as its perfectly correct.

Trust me I have almost a whole maths degree.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not if the question is to express the answer to x significant digits or as a percentage it’s not.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

TI FTW.

TI84 Plus or Silver for hardcore calculator geekery

richmars

Don’t you mean:

boast about. nothing to is Liking RPN

+1, or even 1 +

Cougar

Back at school, we used to refer to RPN as “egdelp.” But then I’m easily amused.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I trust you to read the question correctly josh in order to cross the finishing line for the degree it was 676/25, 767/25 is not perfectly correct 😀 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t even know they still made these things!

gonefishin
    Free Member

I didn’t even know they still made these things!

For simple calculations they are still the best device out there. Even with a powerful PC at my desk and a smartphone, my 20+ year old calculator is still a go to device.

joshvegas
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

Not if the question is to express the answer to x significant digits or as a percentage it’s not.

Excellent point, I showed my working though so at most I dropped one mark.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

So not “perfectly” correct then?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I did say almost a degree in maths 😛

Mathematically it is perfectly correct and actually easier to use than stupid decimals that need a calculator.

Jesus is the an englush exam?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Scientific cakculator woes!!’ is closed to new replies.