Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Sciencologists: can you pass the Christian Science Monitor test?
  • GrahamS

Are You Scientifically Literate?

50 multi-choice questions. See how you do. No cheating.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/

66 percent here. 😳

Turns out I’m thick without Google and Wikipedia to hand 😀

scaredypants

Turns out I’m really stoopid

– although I think I did pretty well (’bout 5 wrong), I did the whole thing with noscript on so my score is ” ” 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

got 74% and was a bit sloppy on another 10% that I knew the answer too, but wasnt concentrating.

Fairly happy with that since my astronomical knowledge is lousy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Huge, huge huge and unfair weighting to space knowledge IMHO. this helped me greatly though[ logarithm WTF is one of those?]- got them all right and 2 were guesses and the last one is a sneaky trick question bit it did not full me
    41/50 or 92 % – well I said my maths was poor 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

80%.

A few lucky guesses in the chemistry questions which isn’t my strong point.

Huge, huge huge and unfair weighting to space knowledge

Space knowledge is cool. Thumbs up from me.

GrahamS

Yeah my astronomy let me down. As did my ignorance of the periodic table (if it’s all written in a nice table, why would I memorise it? 😉 )

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’m most pleased by my ability to remember e, 20 years after I finished my degree.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love:

e^i.pi=-1

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like the way I referred to astronomy as space knowledge whilst saying how good I was at it 😳
    I still remember E from my Uni days but I think we may be discussing different things 😯
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM-wSKFBpo[/video]

martinhutch

What, no questions on the science behind psychiatry?

scaredypants

there’s science behind psychiatry ? 😯

Cougar

Working through it now.

Just got my first wrong answer, #17. Bloody chemistry.

Cougar

You answered 37 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 74%.

Slightly disappointed with that. Looking back over my answers, of the 13 I got wrong, 7 I did actually know and the other 6 I didn’t have a clue.

Cool little quiz, thanks for posting.

nedrapier

72. 2 wrong were silly where I didn’t read the question, 4 or 5 were educated guesses about the the words, rather than knowing the science, and a couple were lucky guesses, balancing out the unlucky guesses! (meiosis and mitosis indeed!)

cheers for the link!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

74%. Quite pleased.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Stopped after the first question because even at this time of night I have better things to do than wait for the page to refresh to give me a little green tick, then again to move on to the next question.

Byezeebye!

grum
    Free Member

I got 112% out of 50.

sas
    Free Member

49/50 😀
    Admittedly about a quarter were educated guesses, got the cloud one wrong.

RealMan
    Free Member

34/50, but started skimming the questions at about 15 when I realise there were 50 – you expect my attention span to last that long?

When I got the question about the value of e wrong (didn’t really read the question, just saw 3.14 in the answer and figured that must be it) I kinda gave up altogether.

allthegear
    Free Member

84% – wow, I actually remember some stuff from school!! 🙂

Rachel

Rio

Questions seem quite well defined until

9. What is the heaviest noble gas?

hmmm… doesn’t that depend how much of it you’re weighing?

As a pedant I gave up at that point.

bigrich

100%. there’s a secret option for ‘Jesus did it’, which is right every time. Christian science quizzes put the fun into fundamentalism.

martinhutch

Duh. I always get Scientology and Christian Science muddled up. About the same level of nuttiness, though.

GrahamS

there’s a secret option for ‘Jesus did it’

I did like some of the answer options:
    “How old is the universe?
    A) 6015 years?…”

mintimperial

Woo! 84%, not bad for someone with a mickey-mouse degree in spelling.

alex222
    Free Member

34/50 68%

ahwiles
    Free Member

92%

with some educated guesses on the biology questions.

and some confusion around the moons of saturn/jupiter…

Kit
    Free Member

Hadn’t a clue on the biology questions :/ As a geologist though, I’m glad I got all the rock/planetary ones right 🙂 39/50

D0NK

64%, some outright guesses and a couple i got wrong i really should have known

GrahamS

Woo hoo – finally someone admits to a lower score than me! 😀

Well done D0NK.

aracer
    Free Member

got 74% and was a bit sloppy on another 10% that I knew the answer too, but wasnt concentrating.

Fairly happy with that since my astronomical knowledge is lousy.

+1 8)

D0NK

🙂 well as I’ve said many times before I’m not a scientist

I’m an IT monkey
    (if they’d had questions about how to fix print spooler errors I’d have scored more – can you guess the answer to that one?)

I got all the answers correct except that one. If they had worded the question as “Approximately how old do the majority of scientists today theorize the Earth to be?” then I would have gotten 100%. As it is I answered with 6015 years since that is the closest real answer that the evidence supports (if you take into account the rapid decay of carbon 14 under high electromagnetic bombardment right around 2300 BC).

😯

ourmaninthenorth

Er, you lot do know that Scientology and Christian Science are different, right…?

It pays to have a rounded knowledge, not just science.

😉

aracer
    Free Member

As did my ignorance of the periodic table (if it’s all written in a nice table, why would I memorise it? )

I’d argue that the periodic table ones were fairly basic stuff which is fundamental to chemistry – not like I remember the periodic table, but you could answer those without that (so long as you understood the concept of the periodic table and had good fundamental knowledge of the elements).

Drac

I got bored but wasn’t doing well as physics and chemistry I pretty much didn’t do.

miketually
    Free Member

I gave up at question 2, because it was about biology. I thought it was a science quiz?

camo16
    Free Member

76%

Must use this brain of mine for something worthwhile. 8)

Only got the Jupiter moon one cos of a Blur song though…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

88%, not bad for a builder eh?

camo16
    Free Member

FunkyMonkey, you’ve just made me look bad…

GrahamS

well as I’ve said many times before I’m not a scientist
    I’m an IT monkey

Likewise. Didn’t see much coverage of Computer Science in there, which is my actual degree 😉

Er, you lot do know that Scientology and Christian Science are different, right…?

Err.. yes.

(“Sciencologists” in the thread title was meant as a reference to the commonly used jib at science types on here – not a slexydic attempt at spelling Scientologists)

I’d argue that the periodic table ones were fairly basic stuff which is fundamental to chemistry

I’m sure it is. That was probably what tripped me up 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Sciencologists: can you pass the Christian Science Monitor test?’ is closed to new replies.