Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sciatica – what's your coping strategy ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Not had a flair up for almost 2 years until a week ago and f*ck me its so painful…

Lots of over the counter pills and walking/stretching

Anyone have the miracle cure ?

pigyn
    Free Member

Core strength and flexibility..

allthepies
    Free Member

Find out what’s causing it and take it from there.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

a great video, perhaps a little distracting though…

LeeW

A golf ball under my piriformis. stretches and sacked off my old car a the seating position wasn’t helping an awful lot.

fasthaggis

Anyone have the miracle cure ?

Try moving some of that weight off your shoulders.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Do you know the root cause?

wilburt
    Free Member

Immediately, laying flat on a hard surface with my legs raised. Medium term, physio, core muscle exercises and just generally using my body as it should be used.
    Longer term, well mine was caused by spending too much time in cars, they’re properly shit things, so lifestyle changes were required.
    At its worst sometime when I was 38-40ish now 50 and its no longer an issue.

ahsat

For immediate help, do the exercises 1-3 in the image on this page. And then after you have done that, get an appointment with a physio to try and work out what is causing it. Then swimming can help.

matt_outandabout

I found that the root cause of mine was either really old Transit Mk4 seats or any Vauxhall, particularly the Zafira an old company ran as a pool car.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’ve got the weakest quadratus lumborum ever which flares up when I do something stupid like running or anything that isn’t cycling or pilates. Now on day 4 with a tennis ball jammed in my legs, glutes, QL, Abs, upper back, calves.

Edit: and any muscle spasm in.my back legs or calves causes what most people would call sciatica pain. Root cause for me years of not doing anything for my leg discrepancy. Super weak muscles

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Lots of gentle stretching exercises on the floor seem to help me when mine flares up. I’ve also found that accepting that my lower back now has limits as to what I can expect it to do helps.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Stretching when you have back pain typically makes muscle spasms worse (which is basically what back pain tends to be all about or a follow effect from something damaged). Either way, stretching is not really good. You’re only pissing off already angry muscles. Releasing muscles through trigger points can be done but sometimes that should wait until angriness wrt muscles has lessened.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Stretching when you have back pain typically makes muscle spasms worse (which is basically what back pain tends to be all about or a follow effect from something damaged). Either way, stretching is not really good. You’re only pissing off already angry muscles. Releasing muscles through trigger points can be done but sometimes that should wait until angriness wrt muscles has lessened.

Different things work for different folks and I’ve always found gentle stretching exercises help massively. Of course the OP could try consulting with a doctor to determine the cause and the right way to deal with it if it is really that painful.

docgeoffyjones

I got some Vibrams and did a lot of walking in them.
    I try to stay barefoot as much as possible at home and when i exercise and it has not come back.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Stretching, and, err, smoking naughty stuff 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sciatica – what's your coping strategy ?’ is closed to new replies.