Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • sciatica
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cycled into work this morning, no problem. Walked into work, almost at my bench and BANG!! my back spasms & I’m on the floor!
    Had to get a cab home, now in bed with hot water bottle pressed against my spine & feeling rather grumpy 🙁

hammyuk
    Free Member

Sounds like a spasm not sciatica Muddy – skin on legs burning sensation when touched> shooting nerve pain down leg into foot?
    Or just lower back pain, spasm locking it up, etc?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Get well soon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthegear
    Free Member

Alternate the hot with cold, muddydwarf.

Also, if it is a muscle, try to keep at least a little movement going.

Rachel

RustySpanner

Quack ASAP mate.

You’ll get a referral to the ‘Walk In’ (I know) spinal clinic, can’t recommend them highly enough.

Good luck, keep us up to date.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like Sciatica tbh.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Had sciatica a few times, this one is more of a spasm TBH. Lower spine locked up rather painfully & put me in a ‘leaning forward/leaning sideways’ position. Sitting is painful but standing hurts too!
    Hot water bottle and ibuprofen seems to be helping.

tinybits
    Free Member

Popper sciatica hurts more than you’d possibly imagine. I had it for about 6 months, resulting in 3 bouts of surgery on my spine and even now, 2 years later, my left leg is cramping on an almost daily basis.

I think my low point was crying on Christmas Eve as I couldn’t even wrap a present for my kids!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yep – def not bud.
    You need to get up and move though – lots. Do not sit around – it’ll only make it worse.
    Sat here typing now with various parts burning, twinging, shooting pains, etc.
    Still have no sensation in outer left heel and ankle, right heel, outer foot and big toe.
    I’ll take your spasm and swap you 3 months of crutches after losing all sensation from the waist down whilst sitting at the kitchen table.
    Oh – and the paresthesia in my right hand that means the whole top of it burns to the touch – all the time and the finger spasms making using a mouse unrealistic.
    So excuse my occasional typo’s 😆

Drac

Sciatica can be a pain in the arise at times. 😀

wonnyj
    Free Member

Some useful stuff here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sciatica-driving-me-mad-can-anyone-help

Having had recurring sciatica, done physio, osteopathy (who said it must be a disk issue), then an MRI (confirmed it is a disk issue), then referal to a consultant, I’m now booked in for an L5/S1 microdisectomy in a few weeks time.

Don’t youtube it!

jamesoz

As tinybits and wonny j, Lost a year of my life to sciatica. Tried knocking myself out by head butting a hand rail when I had to stay off the meds before the microdiscectomy, I can only describe it as severe toothache of the leg. It was amazing waking up after the op and not in pain (relatively).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well I’m still in pain, one bum cheek is rock solid & my lower spine feels like its developed scoliosis! Don’t think I’ll be cycling in to work tomorrow.

chewkw
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member

Well I’m still in pain, one bum cheek is rock solid & my lower spine feels like its developed scoliosis!

My body alignment was out when I had my lower back pain and my sister told me I was getting shorter … 😯

digger95
    Free Member

I’ve had bouts of spasm in the last few years, perhaps not as bad, but seemingly brought on by a combination of cycling and other things.

I’m less vulnerable to it now due to one main factor – changed bike set up. I recommend competitivecyclist.com or a local bike fit – moving the saddle down and forwards and the bars up has worked for me.

I’m also reading ‘Becoming a Supple Leopard’ which I believe is an excellent guide to understanding why we get injured and preventing injury.

teenrat

In October 2014, i was out on site with work when i felt a tiny little ‘crick’ in the right side of my neck. 5 minutes later i couldn’t move my head and was getting spasms that felt like electric shocks travelling into my skull. I was gripping the dashboard of the car with both hands and having to cry out loud with the pain – it was the most painful thing i have ever experienced. The pain subsided after three days, but since then, the movement in my neck has been restricted and the muscle has been tight. Three weeks ago, it happened again. I booked in to see a chiropractor and have been having weekly sessions. She said it was due to sciatica in my spine/neck and the tight muscle was the bodies reaction to protect it. Anyway, the spine issue is now fixed, but the muscle is still in spasm and i have torticollis. The chiropractor doesn’t know why the muscle hasnt relaxed.

It really isnt fun as i’m always in fear of the bad spasms occuring out of the blue as they effectively floor me and i cannot function.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its happened fsirly regularly, first time laid me out for a week but since then each attack has just wrecked me for a day or two.
    As long as I keep it warm and mobile I can get through it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘sciatica’ is closed to new replies.