Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Sci fi / space film recommendations please
  • hels
    Free Member

Boys never like Voyager. I think it’s the lack of a biddable female robot to fantasize about.

druidh
    Free Member

Source Code is on Lovefilm. I actually enjoyed it.

Cougar

Boys never like Voyager. I think it’s the lack of a biddable female robot to fantasize about.

Well, no, it’s more that it spends a large amount of its time being twaddle, a notable exception being the Species 8472 plotline (well, until Janeway made friends with them, anyway).

Lack of female robot fantasy? Jerry Ryan?

Cougar

Oh, films,

Cypher? That’s a little cracker that no-one’s ever watched.

Kuco

I know the Federation were meant to be peaceful but how on earth do you have a science ship as your flagship?

They should have put Janeway into the first airlock available.

dobo
    Free Member

Some oldies but great films, and a few newer ones

The Thing!!!
    The forbiden planet..
    It came from outer space
    Invasion of the body snatchers – all versions 🙂
    Them
    The Fly
    Invaders from mars
    WALLE
    Equlibriam
    Flash Gordon! YUP
    Starship Troopers….

Theres a couple of oldish series that i just cant remember which were prety scary at the time. something about an alien locked up in a big vault that can mess with your mind, hunted by some bloke and an atractive lady.. i think

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nobody has mentioned Capricorn One. Manned mission to mars goes wrong, gets faked, but the astronauts don’t like that idea. Cue astronauts on the run from the government…

juan
    Free Member

Cameron’s out of recession program… Not sure you can find more Sci-fi than that.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

+1 BSG start to finish. Remember the pilot episodes (mini zeries) otherwise you start in the middle of a story… Didn’t stop me from loving it tho 🙂

Contact…. Really? Or was that sarcasm I missed?

Cougar

+1 BSG start to finish. Remember the pilot episodes (mini zeries) otherwise you start in the middle of a story..

I’ve finally got around to watching this recently. Settled in with season 1, episode 1, to be met with “previously, on Battlestar Galactica…” er, wait, what?

Really enjoying it though. Now a couple of eps into S3, and it’s just upped its game somewhat.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

In terms of being from another planet and an evil alien presence. How about “Margeret Thatcher a life”.

z1ppy

hels – Member
    Onzadog: that’s because Star Wars is rubbish.

Oh dear. Though I will admit I only consider New Hope to Return of the Jedi to being Star Wars films, the other pap was just that.. pap.

Have any of the Dark Star recommenders actually seen the film?
    I own it, and it’s a bit rubbish really, unless you been smoking something interesting. Admittedly it has some great idea’s included.

Lots of otherwise great recommendations above though.

A quick series recommendation for Stargate Universe & a grudging one for the original movie. Universe took a while to settle in, but then was flying fantastically until they cancelled it.. we can hope they pick it up again the future. Last episode finished with a cliffhanger and an open ending to return.

Kuco

Got Dark Star and it is good in a cheesy cheap way. Talking bombs and an alien that can only be described as a beach ball 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

The day the Earth Stood Still

PrinceJohn

The day the Earth Stood Still

I presume you don’t mean the Keanu Reeve version?

That just made me think of HG Wells Time Machine, again the original – not the remake!

john_drummer
    Free Member

to go with Logan’s run, made at roughly the same time:

Silent Running
    Soylent Green

Cougar

What am I thinking.

Alien.

Aliens.

Escape from New York.

Terminator.

Highlander.

Cougar

A bit of a leftfield guilty pleasure but,

Titan AE?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IS BGG just a remake or is there a new story?

cynic-al
    Free Member

PJ – yes, teh original.

Time Machine also.

z1ppy

Junkyard – Member
    IS BGG just a remake or is there a new story?

BSG.. completely new angle, though the ‘premise’ of robots returning to kill humanity and kill all survivors is basically the same. Less sci-fi star ships charging about (though there enough to keep you entertained) more intelligence and WTF is really happening?

Cougar

BSG is a reboot, or what the cool kids these days might call a ‘reimaging’.

It’s a lot darker than the original, character-driven with a strong story arc. It’s almost a soap opera in space (with a sprinkling of West Wing) rather than a relying on a monster-of-the-week format.

z1ppy

Completely cheesy & very rubbish, and has every idea stolen decent movies… Soldier, on the plus side Mr. Russell has about 5 lines in it, in total & he’s the ‘star’. I really like it 😳

Oh and when you’ve seen Pitch Black, don’t be tempted by the Chronicles of Riddick.

Original Planet of the apes
    Brazil (which I find very unsettling)
    Mad Max series
    Back to the future
    Screamers
    They live
    Hardware
    Mars Attacks
    Minority report
    Children of men
    Night Watch and then Day watch
    Deja Vu
    V for vendetta
    I am legend
    Jumper
    Gamer
    Monster vs Alien
    Watchmen
    The Book of Eli

PS: Can I include my love for Dune, very underrated for what is an immensely complicated story.

dobo
    Free Member

The original bsg series was great and the new series was great but i lost my way with it a bit.

Which reminds me

Buck rogers was also fairly good back then and so was ‘V’

In fact the original V was fantastic but the new one was seriously pants, only watched a few

ah yes, the black hole, always liked watching that at Christmas 🙂

seadog101

Primer – You will have to watch it twice over at least – confusing time travel based plot.

Pitch Black – Low budget debut for Vin Deisel – Surprisingly fab.

Twelve monkeys – Sci-fi? cracker none the less

The day the earth stood still – Original version only.

Kuco

The second part of the new V was hell of a lot better similar to Caprica but by then viewers had given up and the funding gone for more. Why they have to drag some of these series out is beyond me, make them shorter but a bit more action packed.

dobo
    Free Member

found the series i was thinking about, was great back then

Something Is Out There – with Maryam d’Abo

IanW
    Free Member

Has Pandorum been mention yet?

Pigface
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the tv series Taken about alien abduction, some great bits in that.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hmmm

Dune – read the bloody books
    The Last Starfighter
    The Thing
    The original Day the Earth stood still
    Iron Sky
    BSG from start to finish
    Forbidden Planet
    Capricorn One
    Planet of the Apes (original)
    Skyline – apart from the rubbish acting I did find it very disturbing
    Star Trek Wrath of Khan
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Silent Running
    Moon
    12 Monkeys
    Akira but only in Japanese with English subtitles

Read: The Kraken Wakes and Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

john_drummer
    Free Member

I read most of Wyndham’s books when I was younger. The Chrysalids was one that stands out to me even now, as did The Midwich Cuckoos (made by Hollywood as “The Village Of The Damned”)

monkey_boy
    Free Member

close encounters is one of the best

+ 100 for MOON fantastic film once you have thought it over and got your head round it 😉

again event horizon is superb

the ORIGINAL ‘the thing’ is a classic

i thought Aeon Flux was good

contact is very good.

i must get the battle star galactic boxset, loads of people said it was cracking

grahamh
    Free Member

The Midwich Cuckoos (made by Hollywood as “The Village Of The Damned”)

I’ll think you will find that that is a remake of the 1950’s British Film of the same name. (along with the Italian Job, Get Carter etc.. Holywood being the home of recycling )

But by all means take a look at the original, and the follow up ‘Children of the Dammed’.

“Your thinking of a wall”

craigxxl
    Free Member

I watched “Rise of the planet of the apes” this weekend and thought it was really good

dobo
    Free Member

oh just thought of another i really liked

K-PAX

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ll think you will find that that is a remake of the 1950’s British Film of the same name. (along with the Italian Job, Get Carter etc.. Holywood being the home of recycling )

true enough.

not forgetting Invasion of The Body Snatchers, I don’t know how many remakes there have been of that one

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Dark Star yet – truely brilliant.

grahamh
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Dark Star yet – truely brilliant.

Especially the alien, which is just a beach ball with yeti feet 😆

Kuco

I use to enjoy Space 1999 as a kid haven’t seen it in years so it could be crap now. Even had a toy Eagle which I think still looks kinda cool now.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Interesting the number of people rating Moon here. Not to say it was terrible but… David Bowie’s son reads the synopsis to a PKD novel and thinks ‘I can do that’ – the whole thing was sign posted from the outset.

I’m adding Flight of the Navigator to my list of recommendations.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Sci fi / space film recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.