Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Schwalbe UST tyres – anyone else find the sidewalls cut easily?
  • hillsplease

Like the tyres – mainly Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics – but for every tyre I wear out 2 go in the bin because the sidewalls are cut. Is this a common thing? In the case of the CLIC 24 this w/e leading t oa 40 minute hiatus on a lap whilst I sorted/ bodged it enough to get home with help from passing folk.

Am I alone in cutting sidewalls frequently or is this common?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

never happened to me, is there a lot of sharp flint or slate where you ride?

BadlyWiredDog

They wear through in the Peak – fluffy white stuff appears, then they wear more, then they get a sort of protruding rubber hernia, then if you can’t stop using them, they hole, usually while there’s a whole load of tread left. I’ve stopped using them for that reason. They need to add the Snakeskin gubbins, but probably won’t as they’re intended as lightweight race tyres rather than all-round trail tyres.

I now use, something else 🙂

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I use the USTs, as does my wife. We live in Central Scotland and ride mostly natural stuff. However, much of that can be rocky. I’m 15 stone and haven’t ripped my sidewalls out yet. I was actually really rating them so I hope they don’t.

hillsplease

Morning – I’m about 17st in riding kit anfd like to descend in hope that it’ll be alright which generally means a bit of somethimes purposeful rear wheel steering. As such my experiences mirror that of Mr BadlyWiredDog. Most of my riding is Peak/ W Lancs, generally with long road approaches so fast tyres are a bit of a must – no flint or slate to speak of.

Mr Badly – what tyres are you running for round the Peak?

Mr Nutty – I suspect it may be riding style/ lack of ability on my part, so I’d not fret overly.

I think a note to the nice men at Schwalbe and we’ll see if that gets us anywhere. Mr Badly – alright to mention your comments? I appreciate 2 folk’s not conclusive or statistically meaningful, but it does suggest it’s not only me.

Many thanks

Paul

racing_ralph
    Free Member

shockingly flimsy in the Peak

Garry_Lager

It sound like their durability varies a lot around the UK. I’ve been riding NN UST for a few years now and had zero problems in Scotland. Never ripped a sidewall and I’m not sure I’ve even had a puncture. I think I did one when I twatted it against a water bar and punctured the rim through the bead, but that’s it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe UST tyres – anyone else find the sidewalls cut easily?’ is closed to new replies.