Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Schwalbe tyres. Tell me about them.
  • RustySpanner

So there’s the Mincing Mary, the Jeycore Joey, the Awsum Archie and, er, the other one.
    Which are best suited to passive-aggressive bimblecore lite?

I might have ordered some Nobby Nic 2.25 dual compound folders, ironically they are the ‘Performance’ version.
    From Germany.
    Binners made me do it then he ran away.

Are they any good?

There’s a list of 27 versions of the NN on Next Day Tyres, but no meaningful explanation of the differences between the casings and compounds.

Any advice appreciated.

Kryton57

They are good*, or bad** depending on your experience.

What is for certain is that the Performance version is to be avoided (made of slippery gloss plastic), and Snakeskin (re-inforced sidewall)versions are the one’s you want.

Pacestar (harder wearing, faster spinning) for the rear, Trailstar (softer more grippier) for the front.

That is all.

*Trails
    ** rocks & pointy things

RustySpanner

Oh dear.

Ah well, they can go on the back.
    Anything works on the back.

And of course, there’s no rocks in Calderdale.

Did I mention they were cheap?

plyphon
    Free Member

my performance 2.25 alright on the front

tad draggy

but alright.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What German so did you get them from? I want some Muddy Marys for a bit of DH riding and missed the on one deal.

RustySpanner

bikediscount.de.

Think they were £17.99.

mekon
    Free Member

Pacestar NN on the front and a Rocket ron or Ralph on the back depending on the conditions. Done me well over the year.

mokl
    Free Member

As per Mekon on my 26er – The Ralph on the rear is coming apart now (but still holding air tubeless), but it has been ragged for a year so I’m happy with that. Really like the combo for all round riding and the odd XC race.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

My Ralph ust lasted two months in Peak District before the sidewall started bulging, outer knobs were falling off left right and centre and the sidewalls not only bulging in places also worn through quite badly

It is a great tyre though out back though but it’s no use using round the Peak District 3 times a week unfortunately, Shame as I reckon it’s a brilliant tyre apart from the fact it can’t handle rocky terrain/ bashing

Now if they made a racing Ralph with proper sidewalls , ala maxxis UST I reckon the Ralph would be the best rear tyre out there

mokl
    Free Member

Good point. I’m not sure I would keep the Ralph on the rear if my local trails were rocky (they’re woody).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get the ones with snakeskin sidewalls and go tubeless with some lowish pressures. The dampfs feel very secure despite some gruesome riding on my part. Some people say they’re draggy, but I only find this on Tarmac. I found the trailstar a bit soft, knobs tearing off that sort of thing. Quite happy with pace star.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe tyres. Tell me about them.’ is closed to new replies.