Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Schwalbe Tyres – how tight????
  • bigdaddy

I just got given some 2nd hand Schwalbe Racing Ralf tyres. Nice, I thought, but never used them before – can’t get them on my Stans Crests for love nor money! Spesh tyres fit with just my thumbs, but now broken all 3 of my tyre levers and cut my knuckles and am very frustrated. Any tips?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Pinch the bead into the centre of the rim. Never had a problem with them.

bigdaddy

Thought I’d tried that, but I’ll have another go – they seem so far short though. Grrrr…

RustySpanner

Try fitting it so the last bit goes over the flat spot on the Stan’s rim?

Alternately, try putting the wheel in the freezer for a bit to shrink it slightly.

Got any toe straps?
    Some good advice here if you’re really struggling:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4[/video]

In all honesty, the only trick I know is to getting the bead centred in the well of the rim, as said above.

jambalaya
    Free Member

what @toppers said – I had exactly same problem with that tyre/rim combination

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve posted this countless times, there needs to be a sticky to stop people wasting money,

There’s an issue with *some* Schwalbe tyres post 2011, with stans rims.

The inner diameter of the Schwalbe tyres is smaller than other tyres, and the outer diameter of stans rims is larger than others.

Both are trying to solve the same problem of non UST tyres fitting on, and not falling off non UST rims when run tubeless.

The problem is, when both are combined it results in an incredibly tight fit, then often results in the tyre bead breaking and blowing off the rim randomly.

That means a trashed tyre.

I’ve not seen any consistency between the years that cause the problem, it started first with the pacestar compound when it was first released.

Some experience it, others don’t. I can only assume that if your rim is smaller in OD *and* your tyre is larger in ID, then you could get fine.

Personally, I’d recommend if its bonkers tight, don’t force it on as you’ll end up either with a tyre blowing off, or if you do puncture then you won’t be able to a) get the tyre off the rim to fit a tube and b) be able to fit the tyre on _with_ a tube.

Give up, and use a different tyre.

backinireland
    Free Member

Bought 1 a while ago and have given up trying to fit it to my American classic rim

bigdaddy

Rickon I reckon you’re right – unfortunately I have struggled before reading your post and I have got it on and sealed, but I don’t rate my chances of getting it off in a puncture scenario! So, if you see me tomorrow at Brass Monkeys pushing my Epiphany with a puncture you’ll know why! At least I didn’t pay for the tyres…

johnnystorm

I had real problems getting a 2011 Racing Ralph & Rocket Ron onto some crests. Fast forward a year and fitting a pair of Nics worked like a dream.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

had the same problem with flow ex 29ers, tried 2 sets of schwalbe, 1x set of continental, gave up and went maxxis

stu1972
    Free Member

Slight grapple with 2011/2012 performace ORC roro’s & rara’s on Arch EX but not that bad.

The UST Conti RQ’s that replaced them this week were a different story though

coatesy
    Free Member

Thin rim-strip can help too, as can starting to fit opposite the valve, and starting to remove at the valve (allows just a smidge more slack, which can make the difference between tight and impossible).

br
    Free Member

Better tyre levers – it’s not like you’ve a tube to pinch.

scotroutes

Anybody who can’t fit their tyres onto their Stans rims can send them to me for disposal. I never have any problems – in fact I can’t even remember the last time I had to use a tyre lever to fit one.

rickon
    Free Member

Anybody who can’t fit their tyres onto their Stans rims can send them to me for disposal. I never have any problems – in fact I can’t even remember the last time I had to use a tyre lever to fit one.

That’s the exact same case for all my Stans rims (I’ve had… 11 Stans rims), and I’ve used from the Schwalbe range, Rons, Ralphs, Nics. They’ve all been easy to get the tyres on, just by hand. Same with Conti, Bontrager, Maxxis (which were too loose for my liking), Gato, Kenda, On-one…

However, I’ve had this issue on friends’ Stans rims, and Schwalbe tyres. Which leads me to believe there are tolerances affected on both tyre’s ID and rim’s OD that vary.

Unless you’ve experienced it, I understand your apprehension and will just believe it’s user error – it’s not, I’ve fitted countless tyres to Stans rims, from most manufacturers.

I still remember painfully, a set of Nics on a set of 29er Crests were insanely tight, they went on eventually with patience, and 30 minutes later they blew off the rim in my kitchen, and broke the bead.

Stronger levers aren’t really the answer with Stans rims, they’re soft alu – if it’s really tight going on, I just would send the tyres back and get some that fit. Like I said, if you’re struggling in the workshop to get them on, that’s game over for a trail-side repair.

Anyway, it seems a bit pot luck, as I’ve not noticed a trend – it’d be interesting to get Stan’s view on what tyres they have experienced issues with including the year of manufacture.

Northwind

Schwalbe definitely did go through a patch of bad tolerances where they were simply too tight- I had one that wouldn’t bead onto any tubeless rim, not just my stans but also my 819.

bigdaddy

Update – came down this morning to flat tyres… The rear went up again no problem, but decided to change the front. After a lot more swearing and struggle I got it off, & the replacement went on a bit easier, although still tight. I will be investing in better tyre levers though, now I have none left! Cheers for advice guys!

pictonroad

Scotroutes, we’re not idiots..

Had the same issue, crests and nics. Wouldn’t go, problem is, it’s not consistent. I’ve seen others with the same combo go on with relative ease. I wouldn’t run the risk of wasting my money again though, especially with maxxis and geax going on with thumbs.

rickmeister

As others have said, tyre bead into the centre well of the rim, work round but finish at the valve.

I have found that the valve can be tall enough in the rim to make a difference if the bead runs over it (if you follow my description)..

HTH

pictonroad

**Bangs head against the wall**

cynic-al
    Free Member

Alternately, try putting the wheel in the freezer for a bit to shrink it slightly.

😀

monkeychild
    Free Member

I feel your pain!! I had dramas with Geax Saguaro (TNT) and Michellin tyres on my Arch EX 29 rims. Spesh Purgs went on with not too much swearing (I am quite capable of fitting a tyre properly, as I have never had any dramas with any other rim/tyre combo). Unfortunately Stan’s rims are choosy beggars!!

backinireland
    Free Member

Maybe why my racing ralphs were cheap from planet x

bigjim

Yeah schwalbe from when they switched to tubeless ready are the only tyres I’ve not been able to get onto crests, even when you get them on they just won’t pop onto the rim never mind how well lubed they are. They might be better now but I’ve not bought any since, not worth the hassle.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Tyres – how tight????’ is closed to new replies.