Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Schwalbe tyres for racing… which ones?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m looking at switching to Schwalbe for this season – what are people running front and rear? I was thinking RaRa front and rear… 2.25?

And… are the 2011 versions (TLR) worth the extra dosh, or are the previous incarnation that aren’t UST fine to run tubeless?

These are going on some Hope SP3s lace to Stans Crests….

Cheers chaps

Ricks

Alejandro
    Free Member

RRs front and rear, you can’t go wrong especially now since everything is nice and dry, I’ve used both 2.1 and 2.25 and there is no discernible difference in performance, the 2.25s are barely any wider than the 2.1s. You could go Furious Fred but the durability is meant to be very limited…

Off topic, did you recieve my payment for that saddle and my address and has the item been posted? Cheers.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep – and Yep 🙂 Apologies for not responding, I’ll get you a recorded number across to you asap 🙂

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m on 2010 2.25″ Nobby Nic up front and Racing Ralph out back, and pretty happy with them – find them very predictable.

I ran 2.1″ last year and would prefer those for the weight saving and slight reduction in rolling resistance, but I got a good deal on the 2.25″.

No experience of the 2011 models. The treads look pretty much identical on my friend’s pair, but the compounds are different I believe.

RaRa combo will be good and fast for trail centres or the recent dry weather etc, but a bit lacking in mud.

Kryton57

I’d go with RR/RR in this dry and add a NN to the front if it dampens up too much.

I’ve used the Ralph as soon ago as Sunday – its v fast and grippy. Go for the 2010’s triple nano, and snakeskin if your in a rocky area, many offers around atm.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’m no racer but currently run 2.25 NN front, 2.1 RR on the back, only as I can’t be bothered to keep switiching a RR on the front. The RR is very good in the dry and dusty conditions with plenty of grip.

Alejandro
    Free Member

Cheers ricks.

pixelmix
    Free Member

PS – If you are going tubeless, I found the 2.25″ a pain to inflate unless you get a Double Defense or Snakeskin version. The standard version is very loose and floppy.

njee20
    Free Member

For racing I’d go Rocket Ron, unless you live somewhere very rocky. Lighter, and grippier than a Ralph.

In the dry Furious Freds are incredible, but you do have to change them if someone sneezes on the course. In fact at the moment it’s a bit dry for them IME!

Don’t bother with the 2011s, they’re slightly smaller so they inflate better, but that makes them mentally tight on Stan’s rims. I use 2010 Schwalbes (Rons, Ralphs, Nics, Freds and Black Sharks) on Podiums and Crests, and they all go straight up with a track pump.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

no recommendations for the rocket rons yet?

i love the racing ralphs in the current conditions, but the sidewalls are pretty thin – may try the crossmark ust instead

mrmo
    Free Member

Got a set of rocket rons from on one.very fast very grippy. Not to sure about durability though

chunkypaul
    Free Member

too slow!

rickon
    Free Member

Rocket Rons…. is it worth going UST with the sidewalls or jut the standard type?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe tyres for racing… which ones?’ is closed to new replies.