Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Schwalbe tyres
  • molgrips
    Free Member

There’s Performance, and there’s Evo. It suggests Evo are effectively tubeless ready, but are they any better or different than the performance ones for tubeless?

verses

I find Performance noticeably less good than Evo.

Mostly fine for general off-road, but I find them as grippy as a Mr Sheen covered lump of lard for tarmac/paving-slabs/rocks/wet-roots at any kind of enthusiastic pace.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Performance line aren’t tubeless ready and use a rubber compound that shares many properties with black ice

verses

I have a Performance Ron on the back of my single-speed at the mo, and it’s usable, but I’ll never never never never never* stick it on the front of anything ever again.

I lost all confidence in it after it washed out several times for no obvious reason what so ever.

* never

cloudnine
    Free Member

Rule of thumb on how they perform and the resulting outcome of your position in relation to the floor..

Performance = horizontal
    Evo = vertical

verses

To answer your actual question though…

The Ron I mentioned above is currently (as of last Saturday) set up tubeless on some non-tubeless rims with a rim-strip.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Performance = horizontal
    Evo = vertical

Are you sure its not the opposite? 😆

Performance

Evolution

jonnyboi

Performance are specially designed to be hung in the garage for two years then fitted to a bike just before you sell it.

andy4d

^^ 😆

Kryton57

A more usuable review…

I used 2014 Performance Ralph OEM on the rear of my Anthem for ages. They felt fast, lasted for ages and never gave me any issues, although I’m not a man of great lean angles. Its worth distinguishing between the dual compound Performance 2014 onward, and the single compound before that, the latter being a liability as above.

I went to Battle of the Beach and sliced one on a shell. The nice Schwalbe man and some other chaps – both of whom I owe coffee too – gave me a Ralph Evo to replace it with. Back to back on Pembury Beach the latter actually felt as though it has a lot less rolling resistance. Both tubeless, both 30psi.

As I’ve said in response to your question in the XC Racing thread, if you read the Rolling Resistance review the Ron is actually a faster tyre and by default then more usuable. I let mine wear so the Ron actually becomes less prominent in the centre when summer occurs, meaning I never change the tyre and essentially purchase 1 x Ron Evo Snakeskin throughout the year.

cp

I find the performance dual compound really good, makes for cheap tyres as everyone seems to get rid of them I assume based on the old single compound reputation.

I run Performance DC on Crests and WTB i19, go up tubeless easy on both.

Kryton57

Agreed ^^, and for my trail bike thats what I’d do.

I’ve just tried to get a new Rock Razor EVO to go tubeless. Failed miserably.

BillOddie

I had a performance 26×2.35 Hans Dampf, managed that tricky combo of being draggy and lacking grip.

That being said the Performance (New redesigned) Dual Compound 24in Rocket Rons on the boy’s bike seem pretty decent and passed the finger nail test.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe tyres’ is closed to new replies.