Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Schwalbe Tyre Alternative for trail centre
  • goyawave
    Free Member

Came back from my usual rag around the Cafall at Cwmcarn yesterday to find my knobs are only just clinging on to my Nobby Nic rear, and my Magic Mary isn’t faring much better. Every year I tell myself to change brand but then Scwalbe make minor tweaks which appeals to the optimist in me.

So this it…. I’m thinking a pair of Maxxis DHF 27.5 x 2.3″??

I usually ride Welsh trail centres year round with the odd trip to the lakes. I don’t swap tyres during the year and have mostly been using Magic Mary/Nobby Nic 2.25 combo. Hans dampf before that.

The max size I can fit into the rear is 2.3 (a Rock Razor mounted on Hope rims rubbed the chainstays on my Zesty 727 AM). Don’t think I’m constrained up front with a set of Sweeps.

I would consider an Ardent Race at the back, if it will be significantly less rolling resistance for little loss in grip round Cafall, but it’s narrower than I’d like at 2.2″. I’d also consider going DHF 2.5″ at the front if actual width is closer to the MM.

So, anyone tried the combos above on trail centres or get better alternatives?

devash
    Free Member

Have you thought about trying Specialized’s tyres?

Butcher front, Purgatory rear or Purgatory front, Ground Control rear are both popular combinations. I’m currently running ‘Grid’ versions of the latter setup and couldn’t be happier.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Which compound are you using?

I’ve got a vertstar MM up front and after a week in the alps the nobs are starting to show signs of tearing. I wouldn’t usually run a verstar though, just wanted the grip.

I’ve heard the Trailstar and Pacestar compounds last better because they’re a harder rubber.

If you’re looking to change, I used a Purgatory as a front before swapping it over to the rear and loved it. Was grippy and lasted a long time on the old bike. I wasn’t running tubeless but only had the control version (rather than grid) which AFAIK is single ply and didn’t suffer from punctures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

Currently running a 2.5″ DHF 3C Exo front, 2.25″ Crossmark rear. Working really well on the hard, rocky conditions on the Malverns at the moment.
    Also had good results with a DHR2 on the back.
    EXO adds a bit of strength/protection too without a huge weight penalty. Recommended for rockier conditions.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

How about On-One? Smorgasbord on the back (2.25″) chunky monkey on the front (2.4″)? Made by Maxxis, good UK tyres, cheap and cheerful.

sambob
    Free Member

Specialized Butchers are really good, found them perfect for North Wales. Sidewalls aren’t that tough though, so might be worth getting the Grid casing.

woodster

Been impressed with how my WTB Vigilante shrugged off 10 days of Alpine punishment and performing very well the entire time. My rear Minion was great too, but a fair chunk smaller for a 2.3 and it’s definitely worn much more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Tyre Alternative for trail centre’ is closed to new replies.