Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Schwalbe Thunder Burt – anyone using them?
  • strike
    Free Member

Looking to get a pair for my 29er and wondering what they’re like in use? Anyone tried running them both ends/pairing them up with another Schwalbe tyre ie TB on the rear and a Ron on the front?

cheers_drive
    bikerbruce
    Free Member

Love them.. Absolute rocket ship tyres!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Raced on RR front TB rear already last year everywhere except the national finals where it was greasy as buggery. Fine if you realize it is a semi slick and brake appropriately (great at going fast, not so good at slowing down). But not really a trail tyre unless STRAAAVA.

nedrapier

Got them on the Monstercrosstypething. I like em. Comfy and fast, and grippy enough. Bit slithery in slithery mud, but…

njee20
    Free Member

Fitted some last week, way more grip than they should have looking at them. I expected a Furious Fred-alike, but they’re far grippier and insanely fast.

Out on them tonight and it’s likely to be a bit damp, so interested to see how they hold up.

DanW
    Free Member

One of the best aspects besides the speed is how comfortable and smooth they are. They are so supple that they absorb the small bumps in the trail beautifully. A really lovely tyre to ride!

Hard to add much to the review but they do grip way above how you’d expect for such a tyre. For dry racing I can see they’d be hard to beat but I ended up using mine only a handful of times as they don’t suit my normal, more rocky, sticky riding at home in between races. I’m sure a more skilled rider could use them in a wider range of conditions (some people were racing them in Thetford in the middle of Winter) but I lack the subtle braking and control to pull that off! I was really looking forward to using them at Erlestoke 12 then it rained a ridiculous amount where even mud tyres were getting clogged and finding no grip! 👿

JohnClimber
    Free Member

DanW

If you are thinking of selling them let me know.
    My email is in my signiture.

Cheers

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t have the 29ers any more but I have 26er Burts, Ralphs, Rons and Dans (all in almost new condition) that no-one seems to want if that is any good to anyone?

bones
    Free Member

Could you update when you’re back please, njee?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Really surprised by some of these comments, I’m going to have to re-address these.

Interesting call to use them as a rear only tyre.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

again, awesome tyres, now a 2.25 is available probably at least 0.15 more awesome

Rorschach
    Free Member

Interesting call to use them as a rear only tyre.

Most people like not dying whilst trying to go round corners.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have them on my rigid 29er. As said, super fast and supple but obviously limited.

njee20
    Free Member

Could you update when you’re back please, njee?

I didn’t die. It was reasonably wet – a few puddles, quite soft in places. They were a little bit slidey, but predictably so. Wouldn’t race on them in the wet, as I did find myself backing off a bit, but for casual riding they were absolutely fine.

Vastly less scary than Furious Freds – which I did only ever run on the back.

c_klein87

any german shops have stock of 2.25″ versions? they’re mega money to buy in this country!

benji
    Free Member

Ron front with a Burt on the back is a great combination, tried it with good success. Not tried a Burt on the front, like the feel of the Ron.

adsh
    Free Member

How do they compare to a Ralph?

benji
    Free Member

Quicker rolling, when it’s nice and dry they seem to have more grip, but add water and the Ralph is the better option, but the Burt is surprisingly capable.

feisty
    Free Member

Will tell you tomorrow 😆 not had a chance to ride my new 19.6lb build

THey feel very fast riding up and down the road and came in at 495g and 515g for the snakeskin 2.1″ and for once a full 2.1″ so happy with the stats.

I have run Rons and Ralphs for the last 2 years (all snakeskin) and loved them and hopeful that although the tread hight is low the amount of blocks and greater biting edges will make up for knob size.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

red clashes terribly with the orange, proper nice that though

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry to say Feisty that that is utterly gopping!

Quicker rolling, when it’s nice and dry they seem to have more grip, but add water and the Ralph is the better option, but the Burt is surprisingly capable.

Totally agree with this.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Anyone able to compare these and the newer Racing Ralphs to Specialized The Captains? Last time I tried RR’s (probably when they first came out) they were really bloody awful, puncture tastic and cornering grip was really shit, they never felt like they had an edge! Been running Captains for a couple of years now and find them a great all rounder, nice edge you can lean on and work well in all conditions but I’m always left wondering if I could get some free speed!!

njee20
    Free Member

Different beast IMO. Captains are a much heavier, slower but grippier tyre. The old old Ralphs (c2007) were much less grippy, current ones are far better.

Burts are a wholly different tyre – closest thing would be a Renegade S-Works.

DanW
    Free Member

Quirky build there Feisty 😯 😀 Go on, go on indulge us Weenies with a scale shot!

Yep, agree too. Even on flatter, rough trails or smooth hardpack steeps it is hard to tell the difference between a Ralph and a Burt grip-wise. It is only when combining the two worst elements of the above, rougher, looser steep sections or some mud and the extra grip of the Ralph is noticeable. If it is bone dry then a Burt, even on the front, offers more than adequate grip pretty much everywhere.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Burts are a wholly different tyre – closest thing would be a Renegade S-Works.

Never tried a Renegade but meant to say I was using Fast Traks which felt a good bit faster than Captains but much more likely to burst/rip, struggled a wee bit with cornering too but that was before I switched to a shorter stem, bike feels better now so might go back there…

I like a good bit of edge grip, will have to try and see ’em in person.

njee20
    Free Member

If you had to compare I’d say Fast Trak = Ralph and Renegade = Burt, but I’ve never been a huge fan of Spesh tyres and generally find them heavy for a given type of tyre/tread.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Cheers!

feisty
    Free Member

Lol each to his own taste wise I suppose, red stuff came off my Moondust Niner A9c so my hand was forced but I like orange niners with red bits. I have always had Black bikes so wanted to go a bit mad this time, pearlasant Tang fitted the bill 😆

Aaaaanyway tyres

Went for a wetter than expected ride today and the Burts where very capable, very surprising which seems to be a constant theme with feed back on these tyres.

They spin up brilliantly and roll noticeable better than the already fast Raplhs. On climbs out of the saddle on wet mud and chalk I has no spin outs(running 20psi front 22psi rear) off camber stuff seemed fine but maybe a little skettchy at the intermediat point just before the side knobs dig in.

The only “oh crap” moment I had was in a deep 4″ deep bit of mud where I turned sharply at slow speed to try and avoid a r.ock and it slid a bit but I think the ralph would have done the same. Breaking on the rear was more prone to locking as well.

Overall for a dry tyre bar mental mud the burt is very capable and worth a try (at £30 quid from wiggle at the moment it is worth a punt) but I would only ride the snake skin

As requested

Not the best quality scale but it tallies with my fancy digital bathroom scales that shows 8.9kg

feisty
    Free Member

Damn it.

Lots of flint here and on last section of my second ride the hurts got an inch cut through 2 knobs and the main carcass. managed to super glue it and it partially sales. limped home and put my old Rocket Rons on

akak
    Free Member

You would cut a Ron just as easily wouldn’t you? Mine turned up today but I think I will wait and see what weather they have lined up for Crow Hill before fitting it…

DanW
    Free Member

So much for Snakeskin! Am I right in thinking the Schwalbe reinforcements are still just around the sidewalls? I’ve had similar cuts far too often with Ralphs and Rons

feisty
    Free Member

Yes that what I said to my riding buddies that would have sliced most things. The Rons where what I had in the cupboard and my go to tyres rather than a dig at the burts which I may give another bash as are incredible grippy tyres for their small tread profile and lightening fast

snakeskin is on the side so didn’t help but it makes a hue difference to side cut resistance

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Thunder Burt – anyone using them?’ is closed to new replies.