• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Schwalbe SuperGravity construction – worth 250g additional?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Looking at buying my tyres for this summer and am pondering the SuperGravity versions of the tyres. Question is whether it’s worth 250g per end? Most of my riding will be rooty rather than rocky but I’ll be spending a week in the alps too.

atlaz
    Free Member

Bump….

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve never been convinced that tyre weight is really what matters – it’s that tyres have a certain amount of hysteresis loss when they flex and and generally a heavier tyre has greater losses, hence dual ply being a killer to pedal. I’ve only just put an SG tyre on my bike and yes, it’s heavy and the sidewalls are incredibly stiff (pumps up tubeless on a Flow EX like there’s a tube in there!) but the carcass under the tread is actually slightly more flexible than a Continental Protection carcass in the same place. I’ll report back on how it rolls once I’ve ridden it, but I think it’ll be pretty quick for such a knobbly heavy tyre. The stiff sidewalls make it feel like I could run as little as 60% of my usual pressure without it getting squirmy.

atlaz
    Free Member

If it was for the DH bike I wouldn’t really care. On the other hand, there’s a lot of climbing around here so I’d rather something that wasn’t causing me more problems than necessary.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m pedalling up all the time apart from the odd uplift day – it’s gone on the front of this:

bungalistic
    Free Member

Which tyre you looking at in particular? Never had any issues with the standard Hans Dampf snakeskin one up here in the Lakes.

atlaz
    Free Member

Alright mate 🙂 Not sure. Can’t get Magic Mary over here yet so looking at Hans Dampf Pacestar rear and trailstar front, otherwise the mary will go on the front with the pacestar on the back still.

bungalistic
    Free Member

You well mate?

I recently got a Magic Mary from Germany in snakeskin and seems good so far, went up tubless easy peasy. It’s very rare I puncture the front tyre so no need to run a big heavy tyre (though it is heavier than a snakeskin Hans Dampf)

I’ve ran the Hans on the front & back before and they are fairly robust tyres, never flatted the front and only flatted the back on a fairly worn one after a week in Morzine.

You looking at tyres for the portes trip?

atlaz
    Free Member

Yep, doing my spring FS overhaul while I’m riding the hardtail so want to sort it out for the summer now. Only problem is other than supergravity, the 26 magic mary are sold out in most places. I guess I could wait of course 😉

All good over here thanks, work’s pretty good and it’s an easy place to live all things considered. How’s things for you?

bungalistic
    Free Member

Think I got mine from here

Hans is a good all round tyre, the Mary is just a little more grrrr and copes with gooey mud a little better.

I’m good cheers, seems the Lakes have escaped most of the storms (we have our own weather up here) so it’s just the usual wet weather rides and work is just work really (helps to pay for bikes).

atlaz
    Free Member

Bike-Discount is my go-to these days. I can even drive there on a Saturday morning in an emergency.

Rik
    Free Member

Super Gravity casing is only a half way house. It’s only offers extra protection on the sidewall but not for the full tread like dual ply does.

The last two tyres I’ve wrote off in the Lakes the tear/holes has been in the main thread (gaps between the knobbles) so the SG casing would not have done anything more to protect again this over normal hans Dampfs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe SuperGravity construction – worth 250g additional?’ is closed to new replies.